• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Swapping mono pockets

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

reidfish

TheSnapperWhisperer
Jun 12, 2002
Hi Fella's, I just thought some fellow monoholics might like to know of my experience with swapping foot pockets, in case they were thinking of doing the same...:confused:

I started with a mono from Henk Greupink that was a bit small (50cm x 58 cm) but had Matmas pockets which I found very comfortable, with neoprene socks (in our cold water :( here in NZ!)

I bought a Waterway mono (LD1) recently, but did not like the foot pockets even on the large size - too much pressure on my arches, maybe good for finswimmers but not for me freediving. :crutch

I figured I'd swap the pockets, because the WW blade is so beautiful to use.

I started with a blunt "stanley knife" - a standard razor knife and worked around the edges, pulling the rubber away from the blade (like you do when filleting a fish) , and keeping the razor blade on the rubber where it was coming away from the fin blade. I changed to a sharper razor blade, and it was far easier :vangry . I worked around the whole foot pocket bit by bit and it took about an hour or so for each pocket. The matmas were easier to get off.

I then got some special loctite glue (basically superglue) and re-glued the pockets on the other blades, quickly, and trying not to glue my fingers in there as well. This was easy and I had no problems.

The result is that both fins now look a little uglier :blackeye, as the glue is so strong that when you remove the pockets, you are cutting off a little bit of rubber and it remains on the blade. As the pockets have different footprints on the blade, there is some overlap. I will put some black tape, or just some black paint at some stage on these places to make a more pleasant pattern, but it has no effect on preformance and is only minor.

What I am very happy with is that the blade 'tangs' were similar and no problems ocurred, the blades still seem to peform well. I think the Waterway pockets give more direct pressure on the blade and control, but the Matmas ones I can wear comfortably with my neoporene socks in cold water, and the power transfer is quite sufficient for my freediving abilities.

Swapping to the WW blade, I am down to 4 kicks for a 25m pool using the kick & glide technique I have been practising (was 5 with the smaller blade).

I am very happy with the WW Model 1 LD mono - it's lovely :inlove to use. :p Can't wait to get it into the lake (Auckland has a 65m deep lake situated in the suburbs, that we use for training).

So, I hope this helps - I know how boring it is hanging out on this forum until someone starts talking mono's again... zzz

I used the same technique to remove the rubber pads inside the WW pockets and now it fits very comfortably with a 3 mil sock. Foot pocket fit is crucial.
Jim

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT