• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Swapping mono pockets

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

reidfish

TheSnapperWhisperer
Jun 12, 2002
Hi Fella's, I just thought some fellow monoholics might like to know of my experience with swapping foot pockets, in case they were thinking of doing the same...

I started with a mono from Henk Greupink that was a bit small (50cm x 58 cm) but had Matmas pockets which I found very comfortable, with neoprene socks (in our cold water here in NZ!)

I bought a Waterway mono (LD1) recently, but did not like the foot pockets even on the large size - too much pressure on my arches, maybe good for finswimmers but not for me freediving. :crutch

I figured I'd swap the pockets, because the WW blade is so beautiful to use.

I started with a blunt "stanley knife" - a standard razor knife and worked around the edges, pulling the rubber away from the blade (like you do when filleting a fish) , and keeping the razor blade on the rubber where it was coming away from the fin blade. I changed to a sharper razor blade, and it was far easier :vangry . I worked around the whole foot pocket bit by bit and it took about an hour or so for each pocket. The matmas were easier to get off.

I then got some special loctite glue (basically superglue) and re-glued the pockets on the other blades, quickly, and trying not to glue my fingers in there as well. This was easy and I had no problems.

The result is that both fins now look a little uglier :blackeye, as the glue is so strong that when you remove the pockets, you are cutting off a little bit of rubber and it remains on the blade. As the pockets have different footprints on the blade, there is some overlap. I will put some black tape, or just some black paint at some stage on these places to make a more pleasant pattern, but it has no effect on preformance and is only minor.

What I am very happy with is that the blade 'tangs' were similar and no problems ocurred, the blades still seem to peform well. I think the Waterway pockets give more direct pressure on the blade and control, but the Matmas ones I can wear comfortably with my neoporene socks in cold water, and the power transfer is quite sufficient for my freediving abilities.

Swapping to the WW blade, I am down to 4 kicks for a 25m pool using the kick & glide technique I have been practising (was 5 with the smaller blade).

I am very happy with the WW Model 1 LD mono - it's lovely :inlove to use. Can't wait to get it into the lake (Auckland has a 65m deep lake situated in the suburbs, that we use for training).

So, I hope this helps - I know how boring it is hanging out on this forum until someone starts talking mono's again... zzz

I used the same technique to remove the rubber pads inside the WW pockets and now it fits very comfortably with a 3 mil sock. Foot pocket fit is crucial.
Jim

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…