• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Swedish Dahab event - Update

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
hi sebastian,
verry nice pictures, but why do you spoil them with such a big name print on it?
when you scared with your copyright, than choose a small jpeg-format...
greetings wolle

ps: but really nice photos!

Hmm...intriguing new discipline: Dolphin-assited no-fins. What gret clarity of the water, makes me jealous :) Nice pics, it would be nce to see some bottom shots as well if it's not too deep there.

Adrian

Great updates. Sounds like fun, and sounds like typical middle-eastern politics. They do mean well....the Egyptians are ok in my books.
I miss Dahab...... :(
Erik Y.

Happy the Dolphin

First the sportive details from yesterday, then the fun. Sebastian made it all the way to 64 meters, but unfortunately took 26 seconds in his exit wit the mask and the ok sign, so the dive had to be disqualified. Lotta made her dive to 60 meters and her exit was perfect, so that's a new Swedish record. Sebastian is going for a second try Tuesday in free immersion.

The day's attention was stolen however, by a sudden emerging male dolphin entering Blue Hole when the attempts were over and things were starting to be wrapped up for the day. This mate swam quite happily around in the surface with all the snorkellers, and of course all the freedivers jumped pyramid and went swimming with it. All together there was maybe 40 people arund the dolphin at any one time and scuba divers below it, and the guy didn't get scared what so ever of all those people. When this organisation left Blue Hole around 3pm, he was still playing around with the tourists after some two hours.
And trust me, it was a he. Several times when a female snorkeller (usually in a bikini, the guy has good taste) he swam under her and his penis came out from the pocket as if he wanted to mate with her. Horny little bastard.

So far people are calling him Happy. Some speculate that maybe he's a seperated dolphin from the Eilat reservoir, cause this is one human friendly dolphin. You've seen the pics already.

Back to the sports, today is sled attempts and one constant attempt. Mikael Hurtig is trying for 90 meters and Lotta Ericson for 84, and at the same instanse Bevan Dewar is going for 80 meters in a South African constant weight attempt. We'll see what happens.

Regards,
Chris Engelbrecht, residing judge

Reactions: DeepThought
Always easy to blame others :naughty

Nice thread, whith lot's of blue... nice!

good luck with the atempts.

Attachments

• dolphin.jpg
    dolphin.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 422
Daily update, three attempts, three records.

First attempt was on the sled with Mikael Hurtig trying for 90 meters. The equalizing failed and he had to stop the sled at 76 whereafter he made a clear exit. It's still a Swedish record, best dive so far was 71 meters, but Mikael wasn't satisfied so he'll be trying again at 90 tomorrow.
Second attempt immediately after was Lotta trying for 84 meters. She hit the plate at 84, filled the balloon and made it to the surface in perfect condition. Right now the deepest Swede in history is a lady.

Finally, Bevan got his chance at 80 meters in a constant weight attempt, and wearing his own home brewed fluid goggles (which work perfectly, I have tried them), clip and glass fibre monofin he reached the buttom, somehow missed the plate and stopped at the bottom weight, where he turned and surfaced with air to spare.

The technical work is really hard for a setup like this, consider yourself warned. Tarek Omar must be praised for his skills in technical diving, Ben Gowland for his strong arms in pulling the heavy rope up or down or fiddling with the sled quickly in between the attempts, the pack of scuba safety as well as the top safety freedivers, the top camera girl and of course the Egyptian doctor. A lot of details can be improved, but the enthusiastic crowd made the work today a pleasure.

My personal congratulations to Bevan Dewar. He is now to be found in an exclusive club of freedivers who has travelled below 80 meters in the originao. In my count some 9 people now have public achievements below that marker. Pelizzari, LeMaster, Fattah, Néry, Coste, Nitsch, Stepanek, Giankos and now Dewar (don't know if I have missed any, do inform me who I've forgotten). Well done, Bevan.

No dolphin today. I guess he has moved on. Thanks for the visit, mate.

Will post a few more pics, from yesterday it's Happy the Dolphin and Philippe Heydebreck who has been a marvelous help being a safety apneist during the attempts (Philippe, not the dolphin, he was a help afterwards).

Tomorrow, Mikael will try again at 90 with the sled, and Sebastian will try again for 64 in free immersion. Will try to keep you updated as always.

Chris Engelbrecht,
Residing judge in the Gold of Sinai

Attachments

• happyfilipex.jpg
    happyfilipex.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 388
One of Lotta going up. The goggles are Bevan's home made pair.

Attachments

• lottafimxpress.jpg
    lottafimxpress.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 370
And finall, one of Bevan right for the Elios catalogue

Attachments

• bewanx.jpg
    bewanx.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 369
80 and Ego

The above seen Bevan did a very strong 80 meters today, approved by Chris and me (Aida judges) Final approval awaits by AidaSouthAfrica.
He can now be counted in among the 10-12 guys in the world who do 80 meters CWT.

WOLLE
About puting my name on photos. I just like to see my name on a lovely blue UW picture. And of course its a way to stop hem from going astray. Its only for you guys her on DB (so I wouldnt want to torment ou with to low resolution) I am sure you respect copyright and are Happy to only watch them here on DB.

Sebastian

Reactions: jodyfreedive
Correction and change

A small correction of something I wrote in the last post. Bevan didn't actually make his 80m dive with his goggles and nose clip, he used his Sphera mask. My bad.

The dive plan is changed a bit for tomorrow Tuesday. Bevan is being given the chance to reach 85 meters in constant weight in stead of Mikael going for 90 meters on the sled. Mikael is a little unsure on his ears and will give them a resting day before going for 90 on the last day, Wedensday. After Bevan, Sebastian is still doing his free immersion, however the targeted depth is corrected to 65 meters.

Keeping you posted,
Chris Engelbrecht, Dahab

Keep the good work up out there folks! It's great reading about the event...

...and next time, don't forget to invite the DB Media Posse into town! :D

Sebastien & Christian,

Can you tell Bevan to check his private messages? He sent me an important question and I was late in replying. I hope he can read my message before his next dive.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

998...999...and!!!!

(I stop to interrupt this thread, promise!)

Attachments

• champagne.jpg
    champagne.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 508
hi

Those underwater pics are the best ive seen, the water is insanely blue. Can you tell me what sort of vis you are getting over there.

cheers

Chris....
urr.... Ben Gowland is/was not in Dahab. he just told me. (he can't access DB right now). you must have got your names mixed up?...

surely there can't be another Ben Gowland!? :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT