• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Sweet catch and a Photo- Spearfishing in Italy

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

gman080788

Great White Spearo
Jun 3, 2007
Hey guys I think i got pretty lucky yesterday me and a friend are pretty broke going paying for school and all that good stuff so we supply our selves with a good amount of fish as a means of cutting down expenses.... so we went out a dusk and were hoping for a few orata(still dont know what the name is in english) or some mullet (triglia) to make a soup or pasta with and there were a ton of ballyhoo around and then a big school of dolphin(fish) (lampuga) came in about ten meters off the coast about a mile up from the beach.. in riva trigoso ANY WAYS WE TOOK FOUR !!! all about 8 kilos (spaghetti thanks for the location)... i was wondering in this area is this popular for this type of fish to come in this close to the coast or was i just lucky and a freak accident any one with similar situation id like to hear about it......and how do i post a picture?????
thanks guys
-GARRY

Reactions: spaghetti
hey man...to post a picture click on 'manage attachements' on the bottom of the screen you are typing a message on...then click browse and choose the picture and click upload ...... good luck! wouldnt mind seeing a pic of your fish!

Hey guys I think i got pretty lucky yesterday me and a friend are pretty broke going paying for school and all that good stuff so we supply our selves with a good amount of fish as a means of cutting down expenses.... so we went out a dusk and were hoping for a few orata(still dont know what the name is in english) or some mullet (triglia) to make a soup or pasta with and there were a ton of ballyhoo around and then a big school of dolphin(fish) (lampuga) came in about ten meters off the coast about a mile up from the beach.. in riva trigoso ANY WAYS WE TOOK FOUR !!! all about 8 kilos (spaghetti thanks for the location)... i was wondering in this area is this popular for this type of fish to come in this close to the coast or was i just lucky and a freak accident any one with similar situation id like to hear about it......and how do i post a picture?????
thanks guys
-GARRY

Hey there Garry, Orata in English is Gilthead Bream NOT Guilthead Bream as I keep seeing everywhere!!!! Triglia is strictly speaking Red Mullet, as I believe Cefali refers to the more common Grey Mullet. Good luck with the picture.

Reactions: Mr. X
As promised here are the pics ...plus a little grouper from this morning ...

Attachments

• garry and piso with dolphin.jpg
    garry and piso with dolphin.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 470
  • IMG_1306[1].JPG
    IMG_1306[1].JPG
    42 KB · Views: 222
oh and spaniard thanks alot for the translation. im talkin to buddies of mine back in the states and they're like what are you talkin about.Those fish are smart especially since im only using a cressi sub sl70 compressed and a seac sub 60 band I left the big guns in the states therefore i gotta get pretty close to get them and cressi tends to spook every thing else in the area... but the point is Do you have any hunting tips for them...thanks alot Garry

Garry you are LEGENDARY!!! I know hundreds of italian spearos and none of them ever happened to spear an 8 kilograms lampuga in our waters. For sure it was a lucky encounter, but no doubt you were clever to land it.
I'm happy you did it in the location I suggested. Makes me think we can make a lucky duo so I'll be knocking on your door some of these days. :)
PS: (if it happens again don't forget the legal harvest limit: the bounty is one thousands euros if you exceed and the Coast Guard is lashing hard on us spearos)

Last edited:
well spaghetti I ended up going to art school in firenze... so im close to you now... i found another hot spot you should check out next time you around the area.. in sestri levanti where the discotec called piscena is its right under the cat walk ..there its full of grouper (cernia) aloty bigger than the one in the picture, just before i came down to florence we had a really good day there landed one 10 kilo five around 8 kilos between me and two friends.. whats the legal limit on the fish i have no clue..let me know.. anyways how has your season been going

Hi Garry,

in Italy the limit is 5 Kg per spearo with the exception of one fish bigger than 5kg. Our rules are not clear: therefore you could spear, for example, one mullet of 2 kg + one big fish (more than 5kg) and you've no problem with the coast guard in a place but they could fine you in an other one. So you should go to the local coast guard office and ask them how they interpret this rule. Take the name of the deputy with whom you speak therefore you have problem later with other deputies you can say I spoke with your colleague Mr... .

You can spear only one grouper per day.

Pay attention!!! Buoy is compulsory.

All the best

Kinky

well kinky thanks for the help its much apreciated.... by the way where abouts are you fishin normaly.... thanks garry

Yep: max 5 kilos plus a single fish bigger than that for each person, max one grouper per day. If you exceed, the bounty is 1.032 euro and your gear is confiscated: careful!
Garry, Firenze! That's landlocked! However there's plenty of good spots in Tuscany from Livorno to Argentario within one or two hours drive from your school. If you have some extra cash for ferry and camping, you should tre Isola del Giglio, an island off the Tuscan coast, one of the best spearing places in central Italy. It's gonna become a Restricted Sealife Sanctuary next year, so you should try to make a visit there before spearfhishing becomes illegal on the Island.
Be lucky!

Hi Garry,
I usually go to Croatia.

I dove close to you for long time.

Two years ago i went to Punta Chiappa - Camogli.

It's in the park area so you cannot spearfish but you can study fish habits. It's important to know the fish if you wanna spear it.

All the best,

Kinky.

P.S: Maybe we could spearfish together once!!!

hey kinky im really interested in fishing in cratia let me know any information you have thanks garry
... ps i am ready to go fishing whan you are

hay spaghetti you wouldnt be interested in going to that island with e one weekend would you?
thanks for the info on the rules and the clarification
Garry

Hi Garry,

if you wanna have info about Crotia you have to look the following threads:

"Spearfishing in Croatia (Part 2)"

Beginners Spearfishing > "Spearfishing in Croatia".

When do you move to Florence?

P.S.: Nowadays I'm quite busy but when I will free we have to spearfish together.

All the best,

Kinky

i moved to florence about a month ago and i plan to be here at minimum till january... thanks for the threads ill check em out! where abouts are you... spearfishing together sounds good to me let me know whats up...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT