• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Sydney Freedivers

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Judge

Oct 25, 2004
Australia now has its first fully insured and operating Freediving Club located in Sydney: Sydney Freedivers. In the past the term "Freediving" had been used in describing spearfishing clubs in Australia. However Sydney Freedivers is purely "FREEDIVING".

The club started up late last year and already we have training in 3 different locations around Sydney with members doing between 1 and 3 nights a week in a pool. It is not unusual to have 10 - 15 training on one of our training nights. Winter storms, cold dirty water has kept us from doing much on Constant Weight training but for the few who went to Hawaii earlier in the year.

We meet once a month to coordinate the activities of the club and to hold training sessions on: Safety; Equipment; Technique and training methods. These are ideal to introduce new people to the sport.

We have held Max Nights in Dynamic and Static with many PBs set. In the new year we will run our first competition.

The website is underconstruction but up to be viewed: Sydney Freedivers

Judge

Attachments

• DSC03419 [640x480].JPG
    DSC03419 [640x480].JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
That's fantastic news that you have got this club up and running so well. Any idea when next year you will be running the competition? I might pop over from Perth for that.

Hi Lachlan,
The comp is planned around Feb/Mar. It would be great to have you compete and meet everyone. This comp is planned in coordination with AIDA Australia and will be judged by AIDA judges.

Judge

If you let me know when you're booking it for, I'll put it on the Lazy Seals website and you'll get a few NZers over for it ;)

Good to hear things are picking up over the ditch. Perhaps some kind of trans-Tasman rivalry would be in order?

If you let me know when you're booking it for, I'll put it on the Lazy Seals website and you'll get a few NZers over for it ;)

Good to hear things are picking up over the ditch. Perhaps some kind of trans-Tasman rivalry would be in order?

I think some trans-Tasman rivalry is very overdue, due to Australia being slow on the uptake to get the sport firing and clubs rolling. We will definitly keep the "Lazy Seals" in the loop about the date, time and place for the comp.

Thanks for your support.

Judge

Pull out your velcro gloves Judge, looks like we've got some wooly invaders coming :D

Hey Judge, regarding the comp dates, around that time there'll be a comp in Thailand too. Maybe you guys can plan the dates so that they won't clash, for maybe some divers who want to compete in Thailand will also want to compete in Sydney. Just a suggestion.

Pull out your velcro gloves Judge, looks like we've got some wooly invaders coming :D

hmmm... I will probably have to break this to you gently Benny... I AM A
KIWI!!!!!!! ME... YES!!!! ME.... a KIWI. :martial

Ok... now we have got past that awkward part. It is my son... born in Australia Ant Judge who has the Aussie passport. And you Aussies have some strange idea about velcro gloves being necessary... for something and your sheep are all ugly.

Judge

Hey Judge, regarding the comp dates, around that time there'll be a comp in Thailand too. Maybe you guys can plan the dates so that they won't clash, for maybe some divers who want to compete in Thailand will also want to compete in Sydney. Just a suggestion.

That makes sense. Have you finalized a date?

Judge

C'mon, the gumboots are more important than the velcro gloves...

Make sure you factor in some time for some fun events at the end. Team dynamics to compete for the Trans-Tasman Cup?

Gumboots? Just find a handy cliff....

Hey Dave,

I still have that video of you chasing the sheep and goats out of our garden in Dahab.rofl

In todays NEWS..

Havoc on beach as hoaxer calls 'tsunami'

October 3, 2008, 12:47 pm
A man who convinced people a tsunami was coming has caused panic on a beach north of Christchurch.
There was traffic chaos as people tried to flee the area, police said.
"A person is trying to convince people to leave beach areas near Kairaki Beach. He is convincing people that this is a genuine tsunami," police said.
A man is now helping police with their inquiries.
He could have seen a swell as happens on days with north westerly winds, police said.
There are no tsunami warnings in place.

Thursday night at Coogee Diggers...Its a bit tight on lanes now and then.

Day times at different times at Victoria Park Pool and Ryde Aquatic Centre

We have a few divers that want to do one night at Homebush Aquatic Centre.

Judge

Cool Thanks Judge.

All these places are much easier for me to get to.
Is there going to be a club meeting this month ?

hey salibandy where can i find out more about this thailand comp?
thanks

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT