• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Sydney Summer

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Jace

1.3 Rob Allen Railgun
Mar 22, 2008
Well it was my first ever time spearing through the warmer months.
I had a couple of nice pics from a few days catch.

l_c6230b2cbc97789a3c84366dc4e256f6.jpg

l_763647d925d76911ddfb09b37474ad49.jpg

l_8756171ae090983e0cb8a1eac5a3a03e.jpg

l_07e22753800a4ac6dfb54581059153ba.jpg

l_c06b39442a3e29c1939e0ba5e0bde7b6.jpg

l_d081ee3d1f7dd46674016ada16b1a681.jpg

l_f30e37ec5e99f55dbdca35e5f68bb715.jpg

l_fa0081547b457d2405a004cb6325227b.jpg

l_efa5a957fe9d4fe7cf6052eb1f39be0c.jpg

l_7e3bea356343bbcd3fb4dd31da59be50.jpg

Jace did you really spear those snapper? Why haven't we heard all about it before now???

Wow amazing looking fish Jace!They look a little bit different to the ones we shoot back here in Ireland.
Can any of you Aussie boys tell me if theres any licences/permits needed to buy or use a speargun in oz?I'm planning to move there for a few years and lookng forward to a bit of spearing.

Hi Richie,

In NSW you need a fishing license to fish with anything (spear, angling etc) but they're about AUD$20 for a year so won't break the bank. QLD you don't need a license but i'm not sure of the rest of the states. Each state has their own size restrictions, bag limits as well as list of species that are illegal to catch.

You can go into a store buy a speargun without the need of a license/permit.... you just can't use it without one ;)

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Ben

Reactions: OceanSwimmer
Also Perth(w.a.) u dont need a licence, but yes the standard fishing bag limits and such apply :)

Pretty much most Local dive shops sell guns aswell, ranging from your below standard band guns to your FAR SUPERIOR AIR GUNS rofl

Hey Ritchie, where abouts in Oz are you planning on moving to? drop me a line if your anywhere near melbourne, I'm always looking for someone to go spearing with. I'd buy all your gear in europe and bring it with you, buying stuff over here is daylight robbery!!!

Jono

Perth spearing is crap unless you go south or north for 100km :(
Id sugest going to eastern states(better spearing)

Hey Jono,I'm gonna be travelling around everywhere so I'll probably be in Melbourne at some stage.Probably won't be until around November,give you a shout when i'm there.Can't wait to get over and shoot some proper fish!!!

November huh? Hmmm, well now how long would you be staying for? Around dec/jan is good for Yellow tail king fish around the prom and yellow and blue fin tuna around portland. I am looking at getting a charter for up to 6 people around then for the tuna out prtland way and there are still 3 more seats available. No date as yet so keep that in mind coz we'd love to have you on board.

PS, bring a few extra spears just incase:D

We can cover Melbourne perth and the Gold Coast for you by the looks of this thread!

Haha I wish I could too:D It's one thing to have them in your water, it's another to get close enough to get a shot and then it's one more thing to actually land the bastards. rofl

Jono that sounds great man,definetly count me in for that trip!
The plan is to travel around for bout 4 months when I get over,before I have to get a job and stuff so I can go to Melborne anytime and I can stay until whenever.
Let me know if you want any cheap gear from Europe and I can bring it over.
Keep me posted about that trip, cheers mate.

Definately will do, I have to talk to the rest of the guys I dive with as to when a good date will be, then also to the guy who runs the charter for when the best time for the tuna would be. But as far as the kingfish go we can go out when ever, just gotta make sure we have a boat. I'll add you to my friends list on here and if you let me know when you are leaving for OZ just to remind me then I'll keep you up to date.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT