• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Tables and Training

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

PaulD

Jan 30, 2004
Hi everyone, I usually like to go for a bit of a solo freedive each afternoon when i get home from work .I have also just started to train myself on some static tables. My question is this, if i freedive to about %50 capacity each afternnon is there any problems or negative affects if i did static tables say 3 hours later???

Well......

[Insert standard boilerplate condemnation of solo freediving here]

I once made the following observation, which I've not had the chance to explore more fully since then:

I had spent 4-5 hours as a support freediver for some people training for world record attempts. I was in 88 degree (F) water for about 3 of those hours, mostly floating, but did perhaps 20 dives to exactly 20 meters ( my safety station for the athletes' training dives) each lasting between 1:30 and 2:15 ( this according to the logged data in my Mares apneist computer). These were slow, easy dives. There were no incidents requiring my intervention, no emergencies. Some of the dives were to check or replace the colored depth markers at the 20m point on the descent lines. Mostly I pulled mself down the line, very little kicking ( being the lazy bastard I am).

About 2 hours after the dive boat had returned and docked, after the training session, the athletes, trainers and support crew were in a hotel pool giving a lecture and demonstration on static apnea technique to an audience of local freedivers. I was in the pool as a part of the audience, really, just doing what the audience was doing. Near the end of the lecture, the trainer called for the audience to go for a maximum static apnea attempt.
To my astonishment, I easily passed my then-personal-best, and a while later got nudged up to finish by my buddy who wanted to get out of the pool and join the others who were already sitting on the deck ordering cocktails. It was a long one, and I was not at the end of my rope at all.

The theory I contrived from this experience is this: maybe the best warmup for static apnea is not static apnea, per se, but exosure to hydrostatic pressure. Perhaps the ideal scenario for attempting personal bests or world records in static apnea would be a warmup consisting of 10 - 20 no-effort (free immersion, or even a method using weights to pull you down and a lanyard to pull you up) descents to 20-30 meters, followed by a rest period of an hour or so, followed by 2 warmup statics in the nearby pool ( say, to 1/3 and then 2/3 of your target time with 5-10 minute vents in between) followed by the target dive.

I'm just guessing about the specifics here - but I am very intrigued by the idea of using exposure to depth as a warmup for static apnea on the surface. One can speculate as to the reasons it seemed so effective to me - blood shunt comes quickly to mind. As far as I know, none of the top static apnea contenders have tried it, but I hope to persuade one of them ( who shall for the moment remain nameless) to explore it with me in the near future. Watch Deeper Blue for news !

Paul

Paul,
This is very interesting! I have taken to doing all my warm up statics full negitive to build up Co2 faster and theoretically bring on the blood shunt sooner. What you're saying makes perfect sense to me! Maybe I should try doing my negitive statics on the bottom of the pool sometime. If I get the chance I'll definatly try out the dive then static approach. I do negitive dives anyway as part of my warm up for CB, so it should follow that negitive dives could help static...

Something new to try!

Aaron

PS. PaulD, solo freediving is obviously not advisable! If you do solo freedive be aware of the dangers and do your best to mitigate them. There are enough unavoidable ways to kill yourself without adding risks! Be safe.

What Aaron forgot to mention (being the modest fellow he is) is that he blew by his previous PB two nights ago at our Monday night pool session! This was accomplished after 3 negatives to warm-up, and then going for it!

The theory of warming up with a few sets of negatives (to simulate dives to depth) before doing your target static is indeed intriguing. I will definitely try this next time!

Dave

Reactions: flyboy748
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT