• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Tailor-made training and diet

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
crusty said:
I hope you bought some super soft toilet paper your going to need it

Crusty

Trouble is, the loo is a nearly five minute walk from here. At least my gluteus very-maximus will get some exercise with clenching exercises on the way. :D

Eric,

Do you know the term ketose? In my company i am using a weightcontrol program that makes use of the ketose state wich i understand from your explanation is similar. Its a restriction on fat and carbs and increased intake of protein. This way the body is in state of ketose (measurable) and uses its own reserves for energy (same as your fatburning mode?)

For a couple of months now i have been busy with freediving (just got my first diploma) and am very interested in nutrition and freediving.

This state of ketose or fatburning-mode can be very interesting.

Kind regards, Mark Keijzers

hey

I'm following this thread for a time now and was wondering what d u eat that hasn't got carbs in it? Every thing I look at has more carbs than proteins except for meat, but i can't eat just meat and salad all day...

Any sugestions?

tnxx

Thanks Pat

A great link but still all u can eat is meat of any kind, eggs and some salad :duh . Just cant seem to find a substitute for bread :p alltough I managed to avoid it for 4 days I cant eat only chicken or fish 3-4 times a day. :waterwork

well its not an easy diet and ill have to think up some meals before i go for it.

SanSan, Maybe its a idea to not totally cut the carbs out but restrict them to a number a day. This way you can still have your slice of bread in the morning for example and in the day total you still can pursue your diet.

Personally i track all i eat during the day and count teh number of carbs i eat.
If you keep this number low you can achieve the same result.

P.S. lots of foods are low carb but try to avoid the light varients because i found that artificial sweetners also affect your body in similar fashion as carbs.
So for instant a light variant soda has no carbs according to the label (dependent on country) but still has some carbs in it that they do not have to put the "lets call them artificial carbs" on the label.

Best is to use only "natural" pure foods like for instance milk in stead of a milk based drink from producer X wich label reads low carb (but if you look at the ingredients there are often al kinds of chemicals used)

Hope this makes sence in my broken english :hmm

ok guys
i did four days detox, lost two kilos and LOTS of volume around the arms, face, and tummy...
problem (or maybe not) is that i don't have an appetite now..

had a some rice and duck on thursday night.. but could n;t finish it .. ate nothing but a couple of pieces of fruit on friday.. and today was freediving the whole day until about 1400 on a few grapes and strawberries...tried to eat a hamburger and just couldnt

will have some fillet steak tonight if i can and tomorrow, DYING to start the detox again. .its like a drug...

Reading all these diet issues, it seems to me that you cant have success unless you are on some kind of extreme diet, or you have to suffer from depression and weakness to get into fat burning mode and so on... I'm no expert on this whatsoever, but I read about zone diet, and read a topic in this thread, it seems very real ,benefitial and whats most important no-starving diet. Of course only if you agree that balanced intake of carbs, fats and proteins is essential. I also found a software Zone Runner, http://zonaware.com/ZRinfo.htm, that uses individual user profiles and calculates optimal daily calories intake, allows to create your recipes using food nutritional data and much more. Well its interesting , at least for now when I'm beginning to think about healthier diet for a moderate activity athlete and recreational freediver as I am, before I go into something more serious like all of you are talking about.

Thanks for great thread

Marin

Hi Bill,
I've got an old sports nutrition book that says the same thing. But, don't you think 12 espressos in 2-3 hr might be a little much?
Aside from that, what effect does it have on your 7 1/2 minute statics?
Howard

Good question Howard. Back when I kept track of it, heartrate had nothing to do with statics. Total heart beats for a seven varies from 350 to almost 500. For bike racing, we drank one coffee per day and two double strength cups of tea five minutes before the start, for any race over two hours.
If my memory is working today, Eric said something about drinking a coke just before statics. Haven't tried that yet.
I hope the long days feel good up there and I'll try to stay away from doctors so we can go diving when you visit here again.
Aloha
Bill

Sara - in the 7 weeks since I started back into serious training, I have lost a total of 8 pounds (4 kilos give or take) so far.

The routine I am doing is 45-50 minutes of cardio elliptical stair stepper or arc motion machines followed by 200 crunches and then 20-25 minutes of cardio weight circuit training (3-4 sets with only 40 seconds rest between each set). Heart rate is kept elevated at all times. My diet consists of approx. 1500-1800 calories per day with plenty of water and virtually no refined sugars (I do give in to my weakness for a glass or 2 of local Pinot Noir on the weekends). I have geared my diet more towards higher levels of protein, averaging 1 gram of protein for every 2 pounds of body weight. Protein sources are Tuna, Organic Eggs, Free range chicken, wild caugh fish as well as protein powder drinks. Heavy supplimentation and adequate rest is also crucial. Am losing about 1 kilo per week now. In 7 weeks I have gone from barely being able to do 17 meters dynamic apnea no fins to having just completed 50 meters night before last at the pool during divemaster class and could have gone further with proper warm up.

I would say that between the cardio machine and circuit training, I am burning approx 900 - 1000 calories. As long as one can burn more than you are taking in, you will lose weight - but it's the inches that are most important. As stated earlier - muscle weighs more than fat.

HTH,

Cliff Etzel said:
Sara - in the 7 weeks since I started back into serious training, I have lost a total of 8 pounds (4 kilos give or take) so far.

The routine I am doing is 45-50 minutes of cardio elliptical stair stepper or arc motion machines followed by 200 crunches and then 20-25 minutes of cardio weight circuit training (3-4 sets with only 40 seconds rest between each set). Heart rate is kept elevated at all times. My diet consists of approx. 1500-1800 calories per day with plenty of water and virtually no refined sugars (I do give in to my weakness for a glass or 2 of local Pinot Noir on the weekends). I have geared my diet more towards higher levels of protein, averaging 1 gram of protein for every 2 pounds of body weight. Protein sources are Tuna, Organic Eggs, Free range chicken, wild caugh fish as well as protein powder drinks. Heavy supplimentation and adequate rest is also crucial. Am losing about 1 kilo per week now. In 7 weeks I have gone from barely being able to do 17 meters dynamic apnea no fins to having just completed 50 meters night before last at the pool during divemaster class and could have gone further with proper warm up.

I would say that between the cardio machine and circuit training, I am burning approx 900 - 1000 calories. As long as one can burn more than you are taking in, you will lose weight - but it's the inches that are most important. As stated earlier - muscle weighs more than fat.

HTH,

Hi Cliff,

i am off detox now and i am going on a calorie controlled diet which i am getting tonight after my assessment. my training has been similar to the above but with only 2 sets of circuit. tonight they are putting me on a weights programme to change the rhythm, along with some other exercises which my freediving buddy (who is a gym teacher and swimming coach) is going to give me. 50m d/a n/f has never been a problem for me, as i have been doing it since i was small ... the goal now is to do 75m (one extra length of the pool). i nearly managed it the other day.. gotta keep pushing.

its recommended that you don't eat the chicken from Dubai, its really bad quality. Since the detox i lost a lot of appetite, but still feeling strong. its mainly sweet potato, fresh spinach carrots and yellow fin tuna that i am living on now, plus fruits.. i have had a couple of meals in the last 10 days but not managing them well.

i have lost about 3 kilos now and gearing up for the next four.. (decided to move the goal posts and lower my goal weight to something else).

i cant stay on the cardio machines that long.. i get sooo bored.. there is nothing to look except a bunch of sweaty Arabs rofl

Reactions: Alison
island_sands said:
Hi Cliff,

... i cant stay on the cardio machines that long.. i get sooo bored.. there is nothing to look except a bunch of sweaty Arabs rofl

Sweaty Arabs.. rofl

I use my MP3 mini disk player and have dj Ferry Corsten (Techno music) playing the whole time.. 140bpm cadence and I can hammer without being bored. Visualization of freediving during the cardio has helped keep me motivated. Am seeing results on a daily basis. Too bad about the local chickens.. Glad to see training is going well for you.

What kind of diet should we use to avoid having problems when freediving ? What do you know about lifestylescanner.com ?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT