• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Tanya Streeter 'Freediver' Animal Planet/BBC Special Info Requested

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Good luck guys. Next time I know one of the shows is airing, I will post it on DB. The last one was shot at the end of November and will air later this year in the UK, so watch this space!

Best

T
Thank you, Tanya. My partner also enjoys watching your programmes as they are fantastic.

Looking forward to the next one. Any hint as to the subject matter?:)

p.s. Fixed the issue with not beeing able to click directly on the link I made. Had to do with some protection I had build into the site to prevent leechers.
Now you can directly click on THIS

Reactions: Fondueset
glennv - thanks for uploading that.
Tanya - outstanding work! Quite without peer. I wish you well in all your future work/play.

Yeah, what he said. Thanks Glenn.

Tanya- If you're following this thread-

I've shown my six year old daughter several freedive videos and she was mildly interested. She was enthralled by this one though. I think that you're a woman and the way dialog alternates with the underwater scenes and plenty of marine life made it very interesting to her.

I downloaded and converted the video to the Apple iPod format. Now I can watch it on the train while practicing breath holds and freaking out fellow passengers.

Jim

Thanks Glenn and especially Tanya. I was really impressed with your attitude to wildlife and the obvious passion you brought to the screen.
I was hoping to see the diving in New Zealand that was mentioned. Where can I find that.
You are welcome to come diving with me anytime you're in NZ.
Happy diving!

Hello fellow freedivers (I thought I'd better say something grand, as for all my years reading DeeperBlue I've never posted).

I'm not sure if this thread is still current as there seems to be no date attached, but for those of you wishing to purchase Tanya's work (play?) go to this link: www.wamtec.com/entrance/tapelists/LATUW.TXT

When you get there scroll down to 2006, and between 1320804 and UW72 you will find FREEDIVR which are her USA tapes. Good hunting.

Stephan

There's an agonisingly short (ten minute) clip on BBC2 in the UK this Sunday:

"Dive Caribbean: Coral Reef
Sun 20 May, 6:00 pm - 6:10 pm 10mins
World freediving champion Tanya Streeter goes on an underwater adventure, swimming alongside the fascinating marine life that inhabits the beautiful Caribbean. Her destination is Belize's famous Blue Hole where she dives to 40m and holds her breath for over 2 minutes as she explores the hidden secrets of this vast underwater cave. And in the world's second largest barrier reef, Tanya comes face-to-face with a manatee."

Oh, and for those who can receive BBC HD:

"Shark Therapy
BBC HD
Sat 19 May, 17:30 - 18:25 55 mins

World Champion freediver Tanya Streeter is scared of sharks. To conquer her phobia she travels to the Maldives in search of the biggest shark in the world."

Looking at the stories, both shows seem to be part of the movie I put online. Although Tanya mentioned that that show is some sort of compilation of a couple of separate show.
Anyway I do not get BBC HD here so can not tape it for you guys this time.

Hiya all,

Just a quick note. If you go to the following address:

eMule-Project.net - Official eMule Homepage. Downloads, Help, Docu, News...

& download the eMule client, you will be able to search for files on the eDonkey, Kad & Open Source P2P networks. If ya do searches such as "Tanya Streeter", "freediving", "freedive", "apnea", etc. you'll come up with all sorts of videos.

In particular, several of the BBC shows are shared, but people have also shared home-brew records of competitions & records, plus interesting freediving moments.

So the P2P genie is out of the bottle! You can get the BBC/Animal Planet shows on the file sharing networks, but if and when BBC & the Animal Planet people get these things out, please be good girls & boys and buy the set!

Just a word of caution for those not familiar with eMule and P2P (peer-to-peer) networks. Although it can be used for legal exchange of files, the vast majority of files available on eMule in some way violate copyrights. Your use of P2P networks may be therefore monitored by authorities, or looked up later in your ISP server logs. There are many cases when people exchaning files on P2P networks were legally persecuted and mostly lost their case and had to pay hefty fines. The probability that it can happen to you is not too high if you exceptionally get a file or two through the network, but the chance to get accused may be higher is you sart downloading copyrighted material frequently, and even higher if you start offering such media yourself too. Hence, you better check out your local copyright laws (in some countires the non-commercial file exhange may be legal), and if in doubts, you better do not use any easily trackable computer or connection. If you try using eMule it in the work, it might be a very good reason for your employer to fire you immediately.

Hey All

So glad you are enjoying the repeats. It surprises me that they are still in rotation but I guess the feedback is good :t And thanks to those of you who have found a way to share the films online - I don't have the first clue about how to do that kind of thing, so I will refer future enquiries to this thread!!

And it ALWAYS makes me smile to know that children are watching - it's the future generations who will be protecting our oceans so getting them to take an interest now is important.

As to the next show that will air around Christmas/New Year, it is a bit more people oriented and set in Indonesia. I can't say more, but the underwater footage is fascinating and the storyline is compelling. Can't wait for your feedback!!

Sunny greetings from my real home, Grand Cayman, where I am getting my "sea-fix"!!

T

Reactions: spaghetti
Hi folks,

Trux is right. Here are some helpful thoughts about using eMule.

1) Concerning being tracked by the riaa/mpaa and their minions overseas, a basic principle is: don't download, or host, music you can buy the CD for, or movies you can buy the DVD for at your store.

The mpaa has bots that search the various P2P networks for titles of popular movies, so if you're downloading some movie like the Bourne Ultimatum, or Dreamgirls, there is a small, but significant, probability that you will pop up on their radar. Same goes for current pop music.

The bots examine the IP no, associated with your eMule packets, from which they can tell who your ISP is. Or your institution, if you have service at a place like a university.

What usually happens next is, the riaa or mpaa sends an email to your ISP or university asking them to take some sort of action, usually either to cut off your internet access, or to make removing the offending file they detected a condition of keeping your service. This is much more common than the infamous lawsuits, that have backfired on the riaa/mpaa in many cases.

The reason I'm mentioning all this is, on the various networks eMule accesses, there are a lot of homemade productions from freediving events, groups of friends, etc.. When you decide on a filename for your video to put up on the network, chose a name that won't make it look like a popular movie. One guy I am aware of made his own arty video, but used the word Matrix in the title. Sure enough, some months later he got an email from his ISP stating his access would be cut off if he didn't remove the movie file the mpaa had complained to them about. These are bots, not intelligent people, and the emails are sent with only a cursory human review.

2) Never use eMule on a computer at work. Trux is right when he says it's an abuse of workplace resources. Also, eMule packets have a very characteristic structure, and many work places set up their firewalls to block, or even worse-report, packets from eMule. But even if your work network doesn't block eMule packets, you shouldn't do it, any more than you would take pens from work or whatever.

3) Some ISPs block or "throttle" P2P packets as well as packets from interactive games that use other protocols, because it saves them money. Universities almost always do this. If you have this problem, go to eMule's discussion group and read up on an option "obfuscation" I won't use up space here describing it- but it's one solution. An even better solution is to find an ISP that doesn't filter packets. ISP's that cater to the internet gaming crowd don't filter packets.

And I'd like to repeat again- if BBC Video ever does get its act together and releases the freediving show series, buy the DVD even if you already have it downloaded. It's the right thing to do, and it will also send the right message about the true popularity of freediving, and conservation of marine wildlife.

I'd also like to thank Tanya for her kind message. I'm sure that these TV shows have had a great impact on the public who've watched them, and I'm so glad you're supportive of them beeing seen more widely.

Tanya's Top Wild Dives is on BBC2 right now, from 7-8pm

Cheers,
Ben

First class stuff. Swimming with those Whales at the end well what can i say whether it was the music or the filming or a mix of the two but it dam near brought a tear to my eye.

Hello to all! I am an avid diver in addition to being an avid music enthusiast. I have found a partial music credit for the show by accident. One of the songs that played during the show was a song by Boozoo Bajou called "Night Over Manaus" on their "Satta" offering released June 30th, 2001. I was hoping that someone knows or at least can refer me to a reliable site for the credits of the song that was played throughout the documentary that has an "Hawaiian" theme to it and was played for a long time throughout the piece as it segued to commercial break and returned from commercial break. It is an electronica piece an has a vibe-a-phone resonating throughout the piece. This is just a shot in the dark. I hope that I am not being too verbose. I have an HD version of the piece recorded from Animal Planet to my DVR and although it is not recorded in DD 5.1 the audio is marvelous on my home stereo. If someone can suggest a way to transfer the recording to DVD, I am more than willing to send a copy to others.

Thanks for reading!

TTFN,

Hugh:confused::)

Hi All

Just thought I would let those of you in the UK know that on October 14th BBC2 will air "Wild Tibe:Sea Gypsies" for the first time. I just got back from finishing up the voice-over session and I think you will enjoy the film. It was lovely, and very enlightening, to make. You spearos out there will get a kick out of one particular sequence! The following 2 weekends will be re-runs of Shark Therapy 1 and 2 (Oct 21st and 28th).

Folks in the USA - here's the deal. There have been huge shake downs in the past year+ at the Discovery network of channels which includes Animal Planet, and as such it seems nobody is in a position to commit to buying further episodes from the series (as they did to make the compilation special "Freediver") even though there is a general sense of agreement that they would like to. It kills me to see their "Shark Week" go by and not include the fillms we made in the Maldives and Bahamas about overcoming my fear of sharks......they are designed to make people have empathy for these animals and understand them better, rather than be scared of them, which seems to be what Shark Week ends up doing!! Maybe one day.....!

I promise that I do keep nagging away at the BBC (as does my agent) to release the films as a DVD series, so my fingers are crossed!! And, as always, I promise to let you all know when (not if - I am persistent!!!) that happens.

Best wishes! Safe dives,

T

I promise that I do keep nagging away at the BBC (as does my agent) to release the films as a DVD series, so my fingers are crossed!! And, as always, I promise to let you all know when (not if - I am persistent!!!) that happens.

Best wishes! Safe dives,

T

Hi Tanya - pls DO keep us apprised of viewing dates for the states or (dare i say the preferred) the release of a DVD. There are many of us who would like to see it and purchase it not only for ourselves, but also for wider audiences and expanded education opptys.

cheers!

kp
:)

News for Australian's with access to "Austar" pay television.
Two of the documentries, Dive Galapagos and Diving with whales will be shown on Animal Planet on Sunday 28 October.
Looking foward to seeing them

Slight change of info on the air dates of the new film set in Indonesia. Previously I think I mentioned that it would air on October 14th, with the 2 Shark Therapy films repeating for the following 2 Sundays. It's changed now to October 21st for the Indonesia film and the following 2 Sundays after that for the sharks. Enjoy!

T

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT