• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Tanzania - Mozambique - Malawi

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

mortenkv

Jan 14, 2008
Im planning a big trip. Together with my girlfriend :inlove Im going to Africa from primo September to mid December. Some good 3 months.
Backpacking, spearfishing and freediving along the coast south from "Dar Es Salaam" to the Islands of the Northern Mozambique (Nampula Province).

Information is difficult to obtain on this area!

My dream is to live out the tropical spearfisherdream. Living by the ocean, going out everyday and eat the catch on the beach and share it with the locals (if any aorund)... To explore som pretty off the beaten track spots and take my time to dig a little deeper than the usual fly-in-fly-out behaviour often caused by to much work.

My questions are many but mostly connected to the areas marked below.

Tanzamozamalazambia%20copy.jpg

"Islands 1" South of Mafia Island in southern Tanzania.
I can only find two-three reports of spearfishing here on the internet. Is it accesssible without private yacht/boat - has anyone experience with diving from Dhows?
How about the new (to be) Marine Park between Mtwara and the Mozambique Border?

"Islands 2" - The Quirimbas Island.
It must be fantastic spearing there! But how is it with permission. Some of the area is in fact National Park. Google have provided me with lots of info on general stuff and a bit spearing too - but Im glad to hear anything first or second hand. Would Backpacking be possible on the Private Lodge Islands? Is spearing Prohibited...

"Islands 3". Islas Primeiras y Segundas
This is maybe my dream islands. Because I cannot find any info at all (or nearly none) rofl . They only exist on 1 single out the 6-7 maps I have. And I know they are a Turtle/seabirds-hotspots... Are they inhabited at all? Maybe some of them? Water?
They will become National Marine Park soon - but does anybody know anything?

"Number 4". Lake Malawi.
Anyone tried to spear there? I know some big catfish and tigerfish should be able to be caught there on hook and line... but has a spearo any chance of getting anything but mini cichlids? Im going there anyway (seeing a friend) but what should my expations be? and ofcourse again: Permission?

For the record: I have speared and freedived in many conditions. I can efficient hunt down to 30m - Im used to current, waves and very bad visibility...

Oh - and would a Rob Allen 110 (or 100) do the job?
Is it easy to spearfish from a Dhow?
Im considering using a triathlon (3/5mm) suit for the trip - any experience on this?
Remember I have to travel as a Backpacker... :)
Im not used to sharks at all - but not very affraid

All advice and comments are welcome!

Thanks for all your help,
Morten

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaz D and Mr. X
that sounds like the coolest trip i have ever heard of. I would give my kidneys to do something like that! Please let me hear your trip report once you done!

I have heard that the spearfishing in lake malawi is excellent!

Reactions: Gaz D
Learn what bull sharks look like and them be vary waery of them, if they approach you, shoot them. Beware of them swimming far down below they can come up at you very fast. All ather sharks are no problems. Bull's are a nightmare.
Diving froma dow is as easy as any other boat, but if the captain is not used to divers, he could be more dangerous than a bull shark. Also don't get lost at sea when your captain gets "distracted" while you are in some evil current.
The diving there is magnificent. A RA 110 is a versatile all rounder, put 2 20mm bands and the spaer will go through evertyhing.
Water is warm.
I will go to Pemba island next month.

Cheers Paul.

Just saw this, bit late. Seem to recall reading 130 was a good size for Mozambique(?) but Miles used to reckon 110 was a good size for reefs in SA. What ever is right is probably available there. Drop Miles (or RA) a line if you get time, I believe he spears there sometimes. Popular with the SA spearos no doubt. Good luck ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaz D
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT