• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

TECH diving Gear

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Neeka

Mar 10, 2002
Just thought that we should diversify the topics under TECH DIVING... so if it is ok with y'all... lets get some different threads going?

Computers?

I have a curiousity about my mosquito (suunto). Anyone have queries of questions about the temperature rating on the computer? I want to trust it, but have had some people tell me if is not accurate. DOes anyone know if it is accurate for air temp or just for water? I would check my manual but it is in a language that I am not proficient in.

just a curiousity
Thanks

to bungee or not to bungee

Is it better to bungee the OMS wings or not? What is the general consensus? I have heard that it is better to not bungee them as they can get caught on things... but that with the bungee it allows the for a much quicker deflate. Anyone have any trouble with the bungee snapping? Right now I have them with the bungee on, but dont know how tight it should be. I can inflate the wings fully and the bungee holds.. but stretched quite a bit. Any answers?

I bungee,

I to have heard the thing abaout getting caught, often from guys equipped with a lot more more dangeling crap... than I´v got.Never thighten the bands more than you are able to inflate orally, just in case, safety thing. But don´t have them to loose if used they should fill a purpose. In addition to help deflate the bands alsoe reduses drag, and makes you able to compensate for uneaven wheight. . Have a look at OMS faqsite
http://www.omsdive.com/faq-bc.html#faq-bc
Listen to what others say, but always do what feels right for you.

Maria

Last edited:
OMS wings

I agree with Maria, I too use the bungees on my oms wings, they are no problem to orally inflate. With the bungees the air is more evenly distributed, you won't roll over and have a big air bubble move quite so radically. Tie the bungees on with wings fully inflated, its hard, but they work best this way.

Dale

NO BONDAGE

I do not bungie my wings. All of my gear is ,now, DIR. I have seen too many problems with the other stuff when I have worked at other shops and will not mess with it. One place I worked was huge into OMS. I saw three different instructor's BC's have the elbow connection go on them within a three week period. I have also seen people tie their wings too tight and not be able to inflate them oraly.
I have two sets of Diverite and one set of Halcyon wings. None of them are bungied and all of them are fairly compact for what I use them for- I don't use a 60# bladder for a single tank.
I have cut all of the bungies off of the OMS BC's for people to use. It works much better and OMS has even started producing BC's this way.
I am not so hard-core DIR that I wouldn't dive with others who are set up differently, but I have just found a great imptrovement in preformance everytime I adopted another one of their stratagies.

Just my $.02

Jon

In our program we use the bungees on the OMS wings. Like everything else everyone has their personal opinion. I've used mine quite abit and haven't had any of the problems that the nonbungee crowd complains about. Take care.
Jay

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT