• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Technique questions

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

seahunter

Dec 23, 2005
I think this is my first post, so hi!

I am going to say a few things about myself so people can better answer my questions. I guess I would consider my sell a beginner/intermediate freedivier. I started freediving when i was 11 so i could spearfish. I have been freediving for the last 13 years. I have not taken a class yet, but I would like to. I usually spearfish 50 feet deep and the deepest I have dove is to 80 feet. I usually dive in 50 degree F water with 10-20 feet of visibility.

I have some questions about some techniques.

When swimming up from a dive should you kick all the way to the surface or stop kicking and float to the surface after you become positively buoyant?

I don't hyperventilate any more because i thought I might be doing it wrong. Is there a video clip that someone can post that shows someone hyperventilating properly?

Hello and Welcome to DB. Here are some quick pointers:

You should adjust your weights in order to be positive for the shallow 2/3 part of your diveand negative for the deepest 1/3. Then you can stop kicking both on your way down and on your way up.

Don't hyperventilate. Becoming hypocapnic reduces your apneistic ability.

I recommend weighting yourself as follows:
- Define your sink depth as the depth at which you begin to sink at >= 0.70 m/s
- Weigh yourself such that your sink depth is at 1/3rd of the target depth, or 27m, whichever is less
- This formula is if you are diving with a monofin
- With bifins, I would recommend your sinkdepth be a bit deeper

The reason is that with a monofin you can easily have a terminal speed of 1.2 m/s and have no problem on the ascent. This level of negative buoyancy can cause problems with bifins. With bifins I would recommend a terminal velocity of no more than 1.05 m/s, and that is for good carbon bifins. With cheap plastic bifins, even 1.00 m/s is pushing it for terminal speed.

Thanks guys. I am using Picasso blackteam fins right now, but i am going to get 20 fathoms blades for them. I guess I should take some weight off my belt because I am neutral at 20 feet and I almost always hunt deeper then 30 feet.

I looked around and found a thread that talked about proper techniques for breathing up. It said that you don't want to hyperventilate.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT