• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

techniques to get started, please.....

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

diviajar

May 17, 2005
Hi, could you give me some ideas of
exercises to get started? My objective is to
stay longer u/w. Depth up to 10-15 meters.
I can do 10 meters and stay for about 1 minute (but
at shalower depths!).

Please help me on my quest. :wave

Hi diviajar, welcome to DB.

There is a ton of stuff in various threads. Learn to use the search function and you can find virtually anything on free diving. Just browsing through the threads is a great activity. One thing, there is a lot of highly advanced (and confusing) stuff here and sometimes it is hard to see what applies to you.

You can keep it pretty simple and make much progress. Try some dry statics to build co2 tolerance and get used to what it feels like. Your times will increase pretty fast at first. Try some apnea walking; its closer than statics to actual diving. Get a buddy (critical) and try some statics and dynamics in the pool. Pushing a little here will improve your diving. When diving, work on relaxing; it is the most important technique. When you are under, think about all your muscles, starting at the head and working down, relaxing anything not in motion. Do that over and over. When on the surface, work on long, slow, deep (diaphramic) breathing, relax. Get a copy of Pelizarri's book , lots of good info on technique. Most of all, have fun.

Good luck

Connor

Hi Diviajar
Connor really covered most of it very well. The only things to add are to continue to ask questions on the forum as they come up, and practice safely.
The walking apnea is a good example of a fairly safe training tool. Walk along holding your breath until you have to breathe. With some practice you will improve distance and or speed quite a bit. I usually do it with empty lungs, just because I get to the break point faster. then I take a breath. Worst case you'll get the shakes or fall down, making yourself feel somewhat foolish (not a big deal unless you do it out in the street)

Howard

diviajar said:
Hi, could you give me some ideas of
exercises to get started? My objective is to
stay longer u/w. Depth up to 10-15 meters.
I can do 10 meters and stay for about 1 minute (but
at shalower depths!).

Please help me on my quest. :wave
Hi diviajar
the best training i found when i got started was static apnea in a pool and it helped me a lot is skiping rope the more i incrised skiping rope the more i incrised breath holding from one minute i went up to six minutes in one month

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT