• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Terminology of free diving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
This starts to sound like a let's-all-mock-scuba-divers-thread, and I naturally want contribute my own quote.

If you need air tanks for diving, you probably need a rowing boat for swimming.

Väinö F.

Reactions: DeepThought
I work on a dive boat and take out the freedivers and/or snorkelers. When we get back on the boat and the scuba divers are all freaking out about how far us freedivers can go down without a tank I just say, "Breathing is over-rated..." :)

about splitting hairs... (nice expression)
wouldn't it be more just to call it one-breath-diving instead of breath-hold-diving (as you can exhale during the dive)?
:duh

Whenever I tell people that I freedive, they think for a moment and nine times out of ten they say "I saw some girl on TV doing that, she held onto a sled and went down like 500ft....." I was getting tired of that until I realized that "some girl" really has done a good job at getting us a little press.

On the SCUBA part, it is like jogging vs driving a car. Each has it's benefits. I think we owe alot of the equipment we use to the money pumped in by the SCUBA industry.

snorklebum said:
Breath hold diving sounds good. I doubt there's much hope in educating people in general, especially those who've gone to Scuba school.
Personally, I tend to use the term "real diving", as opposed to tank-assisted.

I've never heard of apnea used to apply to static, but every website and magazine in Europe (and Asia) uses the term for freediving. What language is it from in the first place?

in French we use the word "apnée" for "freediving"

the exact French translation of "freediving" would be "plongée libre" but it is seldom used...

the official phrase is "plongée en apnée" as opposed to "plongée scaphandre"

in Spanish you say "buceo a pulmone" don't you ?

I love all diving,but sadly enough I like very few divers. I hope feediving stays small,I would hate for it to get assed up like scuba did.

before you know it, there will be 50 different specialty freediving C-Cards, a f***load of patches, merit badge,ball caps,coffee cups, Etc.

Man, sorry i'm here alone are'nt I (damn those voices in my head) Oh, well never mind.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT