• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Terry Maas

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Erik

Jan 21, 2001
I just received my copy of Terry Maas's book "Freedive" last week. I read it cover to cover in one sitting. If I had bought this book 2 years ago, I could have saved myself a lot of time and effort figuring out techniques. Not that it sucked trying to figure out techniques(diving is diving). The area it would have helped me the most would have been in equipment considerations. I used a lot of the wrong equipment for most of the time. Up here (inland Canada) there are no resources for fdivers, and no interest, period. Dive shops don't care, because they don't teach fdiving(20 minutes of snorkel clearing during Open Water1 doesn't count), and don't sell the gear. The long and short of it is that Terry's book is fantastic; great information and outstanding photography. If you know him, give him my respects, if you don't have this book, it wouldn't hurt! Cheers, Erik

Reactions: seaman
This book is widely regarded as one of the best books for freedivers everywhere - I know several UK based freedivers who swear by it.

Whilst we don't have direct access to allow you to buy copies of the book, we do have the special order ability via our affiliate to Amazon.com.

Click this link to goto the book selection page:
http://www.deeperblue.net/cgi-bin/f...bidos/ASIN/0964496631/ref=nosim/dteassociates

Freedive

Hey Erik,

I picked the book up on the weekend and thought it was excellent as well. The photography was amazing!!!

I know what you mean about dive shops in Edmonton, I grew up in Wetaskiwin (just south of edmonton) and learned how to freedive/scuba in Mauii.

I just relocated to Tampa, Fl from Calgary and have started to get back into it.

Good luck with your freediving in Alberta!:p

Alberta

Thanks, JMD. Thanks for rubbing it in! Just kidding; glad you made it out of here. I do enjoy fdiving in the spring-fed lakes in Jasper and Banff, where the vis can be 50' sometimes. The winter keeps me in the pools, and holding my breath on the couch. In one year I will be moving somewhere....I'm not sure, I just know that it will be warm and within a half hour to the beach. Brasil, Venezuela, Bahamas...maybe Qatar. Cheers, Erik:)

More summer reading

I just read Carlos Eyles book, The Last of the Blue Water Hunters. I have never spearfished yet I read it cover to cover. It is a wonderful history of modern, western spearfishing and provides a clear picture of unique time that passed far to quickly. The deep spiritual message has no religousity or preachiness yet moved me deeply. A fine book about the aliens and their world that we visit so briefly. Warmly, Angus

I finished Carlos's book last night, I couldn't put it down. I thought it was incredibly inspirational. Also I found it reinforced some of the key concepts in freediving (ie. slow it down) I really enjoyed his writing style.

I also borrowed freediving made easy the video companion to terry Maas's book. I found there were a few additional pointers that I picked up from the video. It was a good all around video covering basic and intermediate technique.

video

I found the Terry Maas video of little help and was very put off by all the advertising. But I have been at this a while. If I was just starting out I think it has some helpfull tips and demonstrations but I think his book is vastly superior. Angus

I agree if you've been doing this for any length of time I wouldn't rush out to buy the video. In fact the person I borrowed it from warned me up front I probably wouldn't get much out of it.

For begginers though, it helps reinforce visually what you can read in his book. I found it helped to have an image in my mind of what I wanted to move like underwater.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT