• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Testing my new Asso 90

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Gazz

Jun 22, 2005
So I have completed my collection of a Asso 135, 115 and now a 90.
I put a tovarich kit on It, with a 7mm spear and fork oil.

The gun was built months ago but I took it out today for the first time.
amazing performance, it will be my preferred gun for winter and fast fish.

Kills at 5mts+ and it is the same size as a 75cm railgun!
See vid below, I seem to loose a lot of video quality when I upload to youtube any suggestions?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPwWiL05ooQ]Spearfishing 27 7 2103 Testing New Seacsub Asso 90 - YouTube[/ame]

Reactions: Jegwan
A lot of fish and nice shoots with your Tovarich Asso 90! :friday

Hi

Does anyone else have a set up similar to this?

I would like to know what you think of the seac 90 as a gun and best mods to get the best performance?

Hi

Does anyone else have a set up similar to this?

I would like to know what you think of the seac 90 as a gun and best mods to get the best performance?
I have one ! after an intense year of use the shock absorber could not stand and the piston was stuck in the nozzle. spectacular gun. If you dive shallow it does not need much pressure even more if the shaft is 7mm. Here in this forum there are experts who can give you excellent feedback !!

Mostly there are 7 mm spears with vacuum kits, also with Tovarich kit (free shaft) which was mentioned above. I suppose the shooting distance (for 90 cm gun) is up to 5 m having good penetration but it significantly depends on the thickness of the line. With 1 mm line it might be maybe 1 m more - 6 m. With thick 2 mm line it might be only 3.5-4 m. From my experience shaft with good hydrodynamic line slider is superior to "free shaft" especially if the free shaft uses some kind of additional slider - loop, knot, micro slider.
See results:
https://forums.deeperblue.com/threads/comparison-of-sliders-for-spears.100956/page-3#post-968571
For stronger, big fishes it might be good choice to use 8 mm shaft instead of 7 mm. Seac 90 have 13 mm piston so it can use both 7 and 8 mm shafts. Thicker shaft have higher momentum than the lighter one.

Thank you Marcelo,Foxfish and tromic
For your reply it’s appreciated.

I am currently setting the gun up for reef fishing in the Australian tropical reefs

The fish I am going after are hard scaled and very weary but I am confident I can spear them from up to 5 mtrs which I might be underguned for slightly.

Marcelo were you able to repair your gun or did you have to replace it?

I have one ! after an intense year of use the shock absorber could not stand and the piston was stuck in the nozzle. spectacular gun. If you dive shallow it does not need much pressure even more if the shaft is 7mm. Here in this forum there are experts who can give you excellent feedback !!

Hi Marcelo

Is a 7mm shaft better did you have a dry kit fitted?

Hi Marcelo

Philip, for such fishes I would rather use 8 mm shaft and gun on 23-24 bar. Loading force would be 31-32 kgf!
If you can load it than it would be fine for your demands. I suppose it would have 5 m range with 1,7 mm line.
7 mm would be easier to load but would have less energy (on 5 m) especially to go through the head and the bones.
Here are some results of testing in water in year 2011.:
https://forums.deeperblue.com/threads/different-setups-performance.91753/#post-854290

Last edited:
Reactions: marcelo cunha
Hi Tromic

Thanks for your reply.
I have both 7 and 8mm shafts
7mm more hydrodynamic
I have both rigged with 150# 1.5mm mono.
I am keen to see the penetration power on these reef species.
Do you have any recommendations for a faster piston?
Would that supply any benefit?

Thank you

Thank you Marcelo,Foxfish and tromic
For your reply it’s appreciated.

I am currently setting the gun up for reef fishing in the Australian tropical reefs

The fish I am going after are hard scaled and very weary but I am confident I can spear them from up to 5 mtrs which I might be underguned for slightly.

Marcelo were you able to repair your gun or did you have to replace it?
trying to solve. Here in Brazil there is nothing for pneumatics. I have to buy via Miami on spearfishingword. twice the price in Europe

Hi Tromic

Thanks for your reply.
7mm more hydrodynamic

Thank you

I think that lower friction piston, having only one or two O-rings, would not have significant influence on performance.
For 7 mm shaft loading force would be about 25 kgf on 19 bar.

Last edited:
Hi Tromic

Thanks for your reply.
7mm more hydrodynamic

Thank you
Hi Marcelo

unfortunately I do not have the dry kit. I would love to have a Tomba kit but the distance is impeditive. The original gun is already very powerful. i use a 7mm shaft with salvimar slider and 1.40 mm mono. I also use a very good gopro holder from mares.

unfortunately I do not have the dry kit. I would love to have a Tomba kit but the distance is impeditive. The original gun is already very powerful. i use a 7mm shaft with salvimar slider and 1.40 mm mono. I also use a very good gopro holder from mares.

Hi Marcelo

What is the maximum distance you have killed a fish at?

What do you think about the predathor vuoto gun you have? Is that a better gun?

Thank you

From my prospective, getting close to the fish is the most important factor.
Taking long shots at small fish in the ocean is never going to be a good idea, not if you can gain other skills that enable you to get closer to the fish.
And how do you measure 5mts in the water? is it from the spear tip or from your eyes?

Hi Foxfish

Definitely getting close to the fish is the most important factor.

As we all know some fish are extremely shy and they are hard to get close to.

Most fish I am targeting are around the 3-7kg mark.

I suppose I was asking the question about distance and assumed that people would have an idea due to understanding there equipment capabilities and having taken fish at those ranges etc.

From the tip of the spear would be where I would gauge the range by using my eyes.

Hi Marcelo

What is the maximum distance you have killed a fish at?

What do you think about the predathor vuoto gun you have? Is that a better gun?

Thank you
short distance . Seac Asso very good ! salvimar predathor it's powerful. see the video I posted.
here the water is now at 26 degrees. season.
regards !

short distance . Seac Asso very good ! salvimar predathor it's powerful. see the video I posted.
regards !
regards !
Hi Marcelo

Thanks for the link I did see the video.

It seams the fish you shot have a soft skin and not very strong scales is that correct?

The water here is still in the high 20’s low 30’s.

Great weather I will be going to a virtually untouched island soon to test my skills and the gun.

I cannot wait.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT