• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Thailand spearfishing / freediving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Manootgop

Mar 26, 2004
Thailand spearfishing / freediving

Hello from the East Coast of North Carolina (wreck central U.S.A.)

I will be living in Thailand starting in Jan 2007.

Does anyone on DB have a lot of knowledge about Thailand waters?

Am I correct? Gulf of Thailand is pretty horrible diving...I stopped by all the dive shops in Pattaya, and got their opinion and checked their photo albums too. Did some freediving off a charter in Ko Lan---more of the same... super-lo-vis...tiny pan fish...does the "high-season" vis improve??? stay tuned...

Question: What are your favorite areas in Thailand for freediving/spearfishing?

Anything in the polluted gulf? Up the coast of Phuket? Not sure...
Is the coastline sanctuary protected?

It was pretty amusing....when shown a photo of a speargun the usual reaction at a Pattaya dive shop is... "oh no-no... you can't do THAT here..."

Question: Spearfishing illegal in the Kingdom?

My Thai wife begged me not to transport my Rob Allen 130 through Bangkok Intl. Airport....she was concerned it was illegal or that we would pay a tax... Note: sporting equiptment like golf clubs usually attract a tax of 4,000 B
Aw, shucks... and I was going to wrap them up and say "fishing equiptment..."

Can anyone shed some light on this Thailand freediving / spearfishing topic?

Manootgop

Hi Manootgop!

I do speargunfishing in Thailand since Years althoug I am not sure if itis legal or not.
For sure it is forbidden in National parks.I have seen shops in Bangkok and one dive shop in Krabi aerea sold me a speargun several years ago.
I did spearing only in waters where I've seen local people or other tourists doing it too.But when I asked the locals ,I never got an answer that made me be sure.

The best locations I found have been in the deep south-west wich are the islands off the coast of Trang as there is Ko Mook,Ko Kradan and Ko Hai.
An other good spot was near the Ko Tarutao national park on Ko Bulone and Ko Lipe.

I never had any probs in taking the speargun in my luggage.Once I've been asked what there is that long plastic tube I carried with me and I just told them it's fishing gear.

Well,I'm in Bangkok just right now and fly down south tomorrow.Hopefully I will have my first own catched meal very soon.

Good luck...glassfish

Hi Glassfish!

a year ago a friend of mine met a German guy which lives in Koh Lipe and goes spearfishing everyday for food!

Said

I did some spearing around Ko Phi Phi a couple of years ago on holiday. There were a couple of local guys who were into spearing and took us out on thier longtail boats for a small fee. Some nice fish come onto the reefs in the evening - one of the locals landed some very nice queenfish. Not sure what has happened there now due to the tsunami - I know Phi Phi was very badly affected. Similan Islands are exceptional and worth a visit but no spearing there as it is a marine park.

Hello Grahamfoster!

Similan Islands are exceptional but they were also in the line of the Tsunami! I do not know what effect the Tsunami had on them.

Said

If you want to spearfish in Pattaya check out the boys at seaduction dive center. There web site is www.seaductiondiving.com They are mad for it and will take you out any day you want to go. Try the sami san site near the hardeep shipwreck for big grouper

Sawatdee Khap Man,

it is not illegal to bring a speargun in Thailand, I did it may times, and I spearfish there for more than 10 years. The only regulation is a proper packing I suggest a plastic pipe.
For the spearfishing it is great and there are many palces (even GT and sail fish if you have $$$ to pay for the gas). Let me know where you plan to go and I can help
Bye

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT