• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Thailand

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Brian

Jul 9, 2002
All
I am flying to Bangkok on Sunday and then travelling to Hua Hin on the mainland. I am looking to dive while in the area and would like to know where I can go locally to Hua Hin,if anywhere near by. If not what is good there. I did dive Koh Tao on my last visit so would like to go somewhere else. I am an AOW
Any help greatly appreciated
Brian

Brian
Are you still in Thailand?
If so I can tell you all the good spots!
Let me Know

Last edited:
going to thailand

hi wazee,

how are you doing? i'm an ow diver and
i am thinking of going to thailand this nov-dec. is it a good time for diving? and is the water cold? also, you mentioned that you know all the good spots. what do you recommend? i was thinking of going to phuket and the similan islands.

appreciate the help.

cheers,
regman

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you ,but I messed up my right hand.It's still not working so well.
But here goes.

I spent three months in thailand last year ,and found the diving and the people on Koh Phangan , to be the best...........

I was diving with Lotus Diving on the north side of the island.
Chaloklum divers ,have a nice shop and great boat also..

The best diving is on the north side of the island.

I dove the other islands also but found the reef in poor shape.

Make sure that you get out to the "Sail rock" It's a must see

I'm going to give the paw a break now.

If you want more info (How to get there ,were to stay)let me know .I'll write back , right away.

Al

Koh Phangan's diving compared to the Andaman sea is pretty dull - its more a "lifestytle" location than a diving location.

When you come back try and get out to the Similans/Surins - I guarantee the diving will be much much better.

Thai divers - www.damnam.org/forums

Re diving in Hua Hin - there is none due to very poor vis caused by the confluence of 3 rivers into the gulf of Thiand close to Hua Hin. Nearest diving is in Pracup Khiri Khan about 1.5 hours south of Hua Hin. Only one dive shop there called "absolute wreck" - they have a web site www.absolutwreck.com

Thai divers - www.damnam.org/forums

Koh Samui

Last summer is spent most of my holiday on Koh Samui, where i found the diving exceptional. If u can stay in the Blue Lagoon Cottages the cheap version rather than the expensive one further down chaweng. Its down a little track at the north end of Chaweng. Their you will find what looks like a tiny little hut, in this tiny little hut is possibly the best dive instructors you could ever meet. Mung and his italian counterpart, in their own laungue, will make you feel at home, tell you the best places to dive, and even take you to the best bars. Even if your an experinced diver their still absolutley fantastic. While being incredible relaxed, your never put in to a flase sense of security, you get the most fantastic diving you can imagine, and trust me, if u get a chance to dive at Sail Rock you wont forget it. Especialy if u catch the famous Whale Shark that calls it its home.

Safe Diving and stay of the Thai Whisky

Alistair Marr

I agreewith Whitehead. If diving in Thailand you should definitely choose the westcoast and Andaman sea where the waters are clear. Similan and Surin are good advice but for something closer and more acessible you can try Koh Phi Phi where you can dive with leopard sharks. I once did a fishing charter with a friend from Phuket down to the Malaysian border and back. The outher archipelago is fantastic and the scuba must be great. I only did some snorkeling. I guess the advice is that the more developed the area the farther away the dive sites. I saw many dive charters that did about the same trip as we did. Probably they start from Phuket.

On the other hand it seems like the thais themselves like to go diving on the east coast. The popular spot for them seems to be Koh Chang. I do not know if this is due to accessibility or if the site is good.

Another advice would be to try a charter to the Andaman Island or the Burmese archepelago. These are areas that requires a longer and more expensive trip but have been open for diving only a few years (maybe 6-7 years). This means that you should be able to find virgin areas still.

If you are going to dive in Thailand go to the west coast, in particular Similan Islands, Surin Islands, also Richlieu Rock & Koh Bon.

The main operators work out of Phuket but if you dont fancy going there (actually Phuket Town is not that bad...) head north up the coast to Khao Lak.

Its the nearest jump off point for the Similan Islands and dive trips are consequently cheaper. I would recommend SeaDragon without any hesitation (I did my Divemaster course there last season)

As for the diving. Just think Manta Rays, Whale Sharks, amazing vis, also lots of small stuff like Ornate Ghostpipe Fish & Sea Horse.

The closest diving is near Bang Saphan a place called Bang Krut. I worked there for a over a year, and unless it's changed which I doubt it's really untouched by tourists. Tourists and backpackers by pass this on their way further south.

It's about 2 hours south of Hua Hin.

I agree that diving on the andaman side is much better. You can dive out of Krabi too - there are lots of dive shops in Ao Nang, close to Krabi town.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT