• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Thassos Greece

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

North

Aug 10, 2004
Can anyone offer advice about Thassos in Greece?
I will be visiting the island at the end of May and begining of June. I understand that spearfishing is not permited during May in Greece.
Any advice on Thassos spearfishing would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Hi!
Thassos is a grate place Im sure you'll have a hell of a time.
It is illegal to spearfish in Greece without a spearfishing licence. If you do it you risk high fines including confiscation of your equipment. In order to obtain a licence you need to apply for it (and pay about 26euros) at the Port Authority of the place you will visit. It takes about a week for it to be ready though.
In thassos there are nice places fot spearfishing but without a boat, the only thing you can do is to drive on the northeast coast and dive where ever you like. Hopefully you will fing a lot of sargos and sea bass.
Have a great time in Greece!

Hi Spiros :)
Is it possible to apply for a licence in advance, seeing as it takes so long?

Thanks for this Spiros. I am looking forward to my visit! I will try to get a licence as soon as I arrive. Do you have any suggestions about type of gun to use?
What about a suit? Will it be cold in June?
Thanks again.

During the first half of June a 5mm suit will be just fine.
As for the length of your guns, a 75cm and a 100cm gun will cover all scenarios.

No problem mate.
A 5mm suit will do for June.
I'd bring something close to 90 but it's kind of a personal thing...
See ya

I tried 3 times in one week to get a spearfishing license when I last visited Greece.
The port authority didn't open till 10am or so and shut at 1pm , I gave up in the end and just went without.
I am not suggesting for one minute that you do this but nothing bad happened to me.
Bureacracy gets to me sometimes.....

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT