• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The 2005 DeeperBlue.net Community Awards

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Ocean Girl said:
well i could go for that award ;) then you would definitely see what we wear in Brasil Naim... or not!! :D

Si, I like Brasil a lot, but, I can't remember what you wear in Brasil,

Some pics pliz :D :D

Saludos

Carlos

island_sands said:
Suggestion:

prize for a DB member photo wearing a thong rofl rofl

Anyone want to see my Hairy Butt in a thong ???

Every King and Queen needs a Court Jester and it has to be Sinky he wins Funniest Hands Down.

Crusty

nah... sinkweights otter is much cuter than that damn bear

Seeing as this has all gone to Fantasy Island anyway, what prizes do you think should go with which award? Not that it will influence the team in anyway :D but just curious ;) I think the suit and the fins should go for the team leader award (well after Ive nobbled the other two :))

DeeperBlue.net's award winners should be granted awards worthy and appropriate for the corresponding catagory. The following represents a few popular member suggestions:

10. Least Dressed Award: - If a male wins, he receives a new swim suit and a new wetsuit. If a female wins, she receives a new digital camera and her own DeeperBlue.net blog.

9. Worst Piece of Dive Equipment: - The winning manufacturer receives a DeeperBlue.net equipment review claiming the product is great.

8. Most Egomaniacal Diver: - The fact that this person won an award is reward enough. He or she will be bragging for the next 365 days.

7. Biggest Lie Award: - A small trophy of Pinocchio holding his hands apart and a little brass plate on the bottom with the words, "It was at least this big before it tore off of my spear!"

6. Most Words Used Without Truly Saying Anything of Substance: - Most members have suggested bannishment for this winner.

5. Funniest Photo Award: - $500 would be in order (feel free to notice my new avatar).

4. Longest Member Award: - Remember, this award has to due with number of years affiliated. Please refrain from writing in with, "My phone number and address" as so many of the female members have suggested.

3. Best Underwater Interpretive Dance: - A custom pink wetsuit and neoprene tutu from Elios.

2. Most Self Inflicted Spearfishing Wounds: - A free lifetime membership to the "DAN" network.

1. Sexiest Hood Award: - $1000 would be deserved by anyone who can make a hood look sexy.

Just trying to do my part,
jimdoe2you

Last edited:
Best Underwater Interpretive Dance

you mock.......... I actually saw some people doing this seriously in Holland a couple of years ago.......

.......samdive and jimdoe2you the pirate walk into a pub. They sit down next to each other, get to talking and their chat soon turns to their sea adventures. samdive tells of her days diving around the world, and jimdoe2you tells of capturing ships and finding treasure with the other pirates down in the Caribbean.

Sam notices that Jim has an eyepatch, a hook, and a peg leg and asks, “How did you get the peg leg?”
Jim replies, “I fell off my ship and floated for two days until my crew rescued me, my leg was bitten off by a shark just as I was being pulled out of the water.”

Sam, impressed, says, “Wow. That's very exciting, but how about the hook?”
Jim smiles, shining the hook a bit, “When I was sword fighting with a pirate from an enemy ship for treasure, he took it right off.''

Sam's eyes were wide with awe at how tough Jim was, and she asked,
"How did you get the eyepatch?” “Well,” says Jim, shifting in his seat a bit, “a seagull crapped right in my eye.”

Sam looking puzzled asked profoundly, “You lost an eye from gull poop?”

Jim sighed and shook his head. “It was my first day with the hook.”

You know sam, ...............it is because of what you wrote on your personal webpage (the Egyptian freediver) that convinced me to sign up for the four day Performance Freediving clinic with Martin Stepanek and Kirk Krack in Miami, Florida this November. Kirk feels that I will step up to 40 meters with his training.

Last edited:
Stephan Whelan said:
Who you can't nominate/Rules
[*]Stephan Whelan (i.e. me) cannot be nominated for anything.
[*]Alison, Amphibious, icarus pacific, Adrian, Erik, fuzz, island_sands, Jon, miles and Oldsarge cannot be nominated for any awards apart from the Team Member award.

The Categories

Now it’s what you've all been waiting for: a list of the categories! Read them carefully, think of whom you want to vote for, and then vote!

• Team Leader of the Year: This award will be given to the one Team Leader from within the community that you as members find to be the most valuable to the community as a whole.
  • Mentor of the Year: This award will be given to the one Mentor from within the community that you as members find to be the most valuable to the community as a whole.
  • Member of the Year: This award will be given to the one member of the DeeperBlue.net community that you as members find to be the most valuable to the community as a whole. This member can not be an Administrator/Team Leader or Mentor.
  • Funniest Member of the Year: Humor and release is an important part of any community, The class Clown Award should be based on who you see as being the funniest member at DeeperBlue.net
  • Funniest Thread of the Year: Your Mission is to go in search of the funniest, most ridiculous or just plain bizarre thread. Please provide a link to the thread when you nominate for this category.
  • Best Thread: Some questions spark heated debates, Some are highly educational and enjoyable, These threads are what makes DeeperBlue.net so special. Please provide a link to the thread when you nominate for this category.
  • Most Improved Award: Some of us have stumbled upon DeeperBlue.net at the early stages of learning and have become knowledgeable and talented. This award is for the person who has improved both their knowledge and their manner in which they conduct themselves.
  • Community Spirit Award: This award goes to the member who consistently posts interesting, thought-provoking, and insightful threads and/or comments. This member should exemplify the spirit of the DeeperBlue.net Forums. This award is open to anybody regardless of technical ability levels.
  • DeeperBlue.net King: We decided that it would be nice to have an overall King to lord over the rest of the winners
  • DeeperBlue.net Queen: And of course you can't have a King without a Queen
  • Personality of the year: You are thinking of a member that just stands out, or has just made a great impression on you? This award will go to the member that you feel has shone with their great personality!

:hmm Hang on. If we can only vote for the aforementioned folk (distinguished group that they are :king ) for the Team Member award, as stated above, there is nobody else left that we can vote for Team Mentors & Team Leaders. [ref.: http://forums.deeperblue.net/showgroups.php?] :duh Seems a shame ;)

That wouldn't leave much for the other contributors (like portinfer, Huan, fondueset, spearo, Almostafish, Spaniard, etc. :wave) who also helped get me started:)thankyou).

Last edited:
Mr. X said:
:hmm Hang on. If we can only vote for the aforementioned folk (distinguished group that they are :king ) for the Team Member award, as stated above, there is nobody else left that we can vote for Team Mentors & Team Leaders. [ref.: http://forums.deeperblue.net/showgroups.php?] :duh Seems a shame ;)

That wouldn't leave much for the other contributors (like portinfer, Huan, fondueset, spearo, Almostafish, etc. :wave) who also helped get me started:)thankyou).

The is a difference between the "Team" and the "Forum Leaders". The team are the ones who get all the flack behind the scenes :( and the forum leaders are those that have made a real effort to keep DB online :king As the team is pretty small and we do have a say on who is shortlisted so we only get a minor prize (if anything at all, I dont know); this gives the forum leaders the chance to win one of the major prizes donated by the very generous sponsers (check them out :D), sadly I dont have the slightest chance of winning one of the big prizes :waterwork

Alison said:
The is a difference between the "Team" and the "Forum Leaders".
Now I am even more confused :duh -- there aren't any prizes listed for Forum Leaders -- just Team Leaders. (How do we view the list of Forum Leaders?)
[Agreed the prizes are :cool:].

No the forum leaders are still just members really, some of them are the news staff like Bryn and Sascha, they contribute news articles to the home page, some are supporters like Huan and Bill, who have signed up for the supporters program and donated a small amout of hard earned to help keep DB with the huge running costs; however we are all encompased into the label Forum leaders. Does that make sense?
The team however are those listed by name in the above, Team leaders being Amphibious, Icarus Pacific and myself, the Mentor team are Adrian, Erik, Fuzz, island_sands, Jon, Miles and Oldsarge. So in order to be fair the team must be kept away from the goodies ;) and the forum leaders - the team are up in the throng for the good prizes (lucky buggers!)

Alison said:
So in order to be fair the team must be kept away from the goodies ;) and the forum leaders - the team are up in the throng for the good prizes (lucky buggers!)
[/color][/color]
So...the "Team Leader of the Year Award" is really for "Forum Leader of the Year(excluding the Team)"? So, what about Mentor of the Year ... can we pick anybody (barring the Team) who we feel acted as a mentor? [Are you using the awards to find potential future Team members?]

I see where you're coming from now :eek: Sorry Im a bit slow sometimes
Heres a list to simplify my explination

Forum leaders: just a name given to those that support and help with the forums (No specific prize)

Forum Mentors: (Adrian, Erik, Fuzz, island_sands, Jon, Miles and Oldsarge) Not really mentors in the real sense (a name given to them by Sitepoint forums) but moderators of specific forums, eg hunting or freedive. They smooth over problems and keep topics on track and generaly keep the peace :) Only the Mentor of the year, no other awards :(

Team Leaders: (Amphibious, Icarus Pacific and myself) Just the same as mentors but have moderating capabilities over the whole forums, a position only open to disabled geriatric Mentors. Only Team Leader of the year no other awards :(

So for al the other awards, yes, absolutely anyone except yourself ;)

No we arent using the awards for any purpose whatsoever, its just an idea we had to use as a thank you to the people that contribute usefull and freindly information to the community, the sponsers also feel that way too as they are some of the companies that supply the best kit and are regularly recomended by you guys, hence the prizes :)

Last edited:
Mr. X said:
So...the "Team Leader of the Year Award" is really for "Forum Leader of the Year(excluding the Team)"? So, what about Mentor of the Year ... can we pick anybody (barring the Team) who we feel acted as a mentor? [Are you using the awards to find potential future Team members?]

yes you can....
this one
# Member of the Year: This award will be given to the one member of the DeeperBlue.net community that you as members find to be the most valuable to the community as a whole. This member can not be an Administrator/Team Leader or Mentor.

So folks - lots of chat and "alternative" awards but not many nominations. Remember people only win prizes if they get nominated. Whilst it's fun to come up with "alternative" versions of the competition you can only win real prizes from generous sponsors if you get nominating.

So - send your entries to nominations@deeperblue.net

Reactions: Alison
My votes are in!!!

well that's done...

c'mon guys roll 'em in... may the best men and women win! Submit your votes to nominations@deeperblue.net....

should be interesting.. hmmm i know who my King is :inlove

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT