• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The Big Blue on the BIG BIG screen

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Sickboy

Jan 30, 2001
This only really concerns anyone in London. The British Film Institute (BFi) IMAX theater is going to be showing The Big Blue at 9pm on Fri 15th, Sat 16th and Sun 17th on the big screen.

Usually when normal films are shown on the IMAX they do not fill the whole screen, because normal film is only 35mm, where as IMAX film is 70mm. However The Big Blue will be shown through 70mm, therefore filling the whole screen, which I am sure will be pretty impressive.

I have no affiliation with the BFi etc., I just want to make sure no one misses this great opportunity to see this film on a massive screen. I'm sure a lot of freedivers will admit that this film got them interested in our sport.

The BFi website (www.bfi.org.uk) has "TBC" next to The Big Blue, so keep a look out to ensure its screening is confirmed.

I know Stephan went to a preview screening of Oceanmen at the BFi, but does anyone know when Oceanmen will be in general release?

Hope to see some of you there!

Terry

I'm looking into the dates for release on OceanMen in London. Be nice if we could get a gang of Freedivers to go together to one of the Big Blue sessions.

This might be a hint they are preparing to launch OceanMen you know!

Wait for it!

I've just spoken to the BFI and if you keep your eyes peeled to this thread, we'll be able to offer a discount to anyone wanting to go to the Big Blue showings.

More info on OceanMen coming up as well! I'll post more in the next 24 hours!

Discounted Tickets and Competition!

OK, calling all Londoners!

We have confirmed with the BFI that the dates for the showings are Friday 15th, Saturday 16th and Sunday 17th March 2002 @ 21:00. You can book tickets at the BFI IMAX at Waterloo or you can call 020 7902 1234 to book tickets in advance. When you book tickets, say the key phrase "I'm a Deeper Blue Member" and you will get 10% off the standard ticket price!

Also - we have 2 tickets to give away for the Friday showing. To enter the competition, just answer this question:

"What are the names of the two characters in the film that are based on real life World Champion Freedivers?"

Answers to me at stephan.whelan@deeperblue.net by Wednesday 13th March.

This is exclusive to Deeper Blue and the London BFI IMAX Cinema, so pass on the info to your friends.

Here is the full information from the BFI:
The Big Blue just got bigger! There will be a rare chance to see the 70mm version of The Big Blue (Dir. Luc Besson) at the bfi London IMAX Cinema, Waterloo on 15, 16 and 17 March at 9pm.

To book tickets, please contact the bfi London IMAX Cinema on 020 7902 1234. Quote "Deeper Blue member" to get a 10% discount on standard ticket rates.

bfi London IMAX Cinema, Waterloo. Nearest tube station : Waterloo.

http://www.bfi.org.uk/imax

Last edited:
Nice one

Excellent stuff Stephan!

I'm not sure which night I'll be going. I'm taking a few non-freediving friends to see it. Hopefully the film will shed some light on freediving for them, so they won't look at me so funny next time they see me holding my breath and contracting on the sofa! :confused:

Any news on Oceanmen? I'm only in London for another 10 days, so I doubt I'll get to see it here. Any chance of a special Deeper Blue screening after The Biug Blue one night?! :)

Do you have any idea how they got the original 35mm Big Blue film into 70mm IMAX format?

Re: Nice one

Any news on Oceanmen? I'm only in London for another 10 days, so I doubt I'll get to see it here. Any chance of a special Deeper Blue screening after The Big Blue one night?! :)

:) The bfi say they still have it on their list of "potential" IMAX Films to show - but still no definate date. I'm trying to push them but it's difficult. I believe the more people that go to The Big Blue showings will help persuade them that there might be a big enough market.

As far as a Deeper Blue special screening - i'd love to organise one but unfortunately I don't have a spare few thousand pounds lying around to pay for it.
Do you have any idea how they got the original 35mm Big Blue film into 70mm IMAX format?
I believe it is a scaled up version - however I don't have full details on it and my contact at the bfi is away from the office till Monday now.

Guys, you have to see Ocean Men!!!!:t :D
I have seen it on the releasing day in Munich, Germany. Think it was September 2001. Benjamin Franz and his team were there, they had just returned from a record attempt in the Read Sea.
I´ve seen the IMAX version two times, and it`s very very inspiring to see how Umberto is finning his way down into the BLUE.
BTW, have you seen the TV version? It is 90 minutes long.
I`ve already seen it 3 times and will soon burn an avi, because the video is quickly loosing quality.

Which version of BIG BLUE do you like best?
My all time favourite is the director`s cut.:cool: :king
-Roberto!
-What?
-Roberto!
-Que volio?
-Mio palmo!

I agree OceanMen is truly a must see IMAX movie - unfortunately it isn't on release at any UK Cinemas at the moment and I only got to see it because I was invited to by H5B5 (the producers).

There is a lot of debate as to which version of The Big Blue is the best - personally I like the European Directors Cut (version longue).

Favourite Scene - Jacques and Enzo drinking whilst on a Commercial Saturation Dive, then dancing outside the Bell!!

"Didn't my brother tell you I was indidposed? Well, you go and tell the media that the big Enzo, new world champion, can not accept his "trinket" because he is.....?" "Indisposed....."
Close enough?
Cheers,
Erik Y.

"Did I win?"

"Win what?, the a$#hole award?! Let me tell you, it was a tie. Your just lucky I was there to save you."

Now that was a heck of a competition!

My second favorite line:

"What, what, Jacque does two hours of yoga before he dives. I can have five minute nap!"

Jon

Ahhhh The big blue....
My personal favourite scene... the hyperventilating Japan team... classic.
Anyway Im more than interested in the big screen big blue, Im based in Warwick (midlands) but am more than willing to travel down to London, anyone feel like giving me directions etc. Whats the best way to come down, Train or Car?
Hope to meet a few of you there.
Cheers
Joe

The bfi say they still have it on their list of "potential" IMAX Films to show - but still no definate date. I'm trying to push them but it's difficult. I believe the more people that go to The Big Blue showings will help persuade them that there might be a big enough market.

Hey Stephan, thanks again for the info on Big Blue and Oceanmen. I just saw that Oceanmen just won the "Most popular film" award at a recent IMAX film festival in Paris. See these links for more info:

http://www.oceanmen.com/presse/press16.htm
http://www.lageode.fr/

That's another indication of the potential popularity of Oceanmen for the BFi. Then again, the French LOVE The Big Blue, and freediving gets a lot more media coverage there than in the UK

Went to see the Big Blue on IMAX on Saturday. It was really nice seeing it on a massive screen and clear sound.

The picture didn't fill the whole screen, but got close enough at the sides. Picture quality was ok, considering it is 35mm converted to 70mm.

What troubled me a bit was the film itself. I know there are several different versions of the film (3 I think), and I'm not too sure which version this was. I've seen the long version (3hrs), but I heard there's a normal version and a US version. :confused:

If you haven't seen The Big Blue, I'm about to talk about stuff that could ruin the film for you, so read at your own risk! :t

In the version I saw on Saturday, there were several parts cut out, such as Jacques introducing his girlfriend to his uncle, and the part where they show the other freedivers trying to beat Enzo's record (including the hyperventilating Japanese part :hungover ). The end of the film is the same as the long version, where Jacques goes down and swims off with the dolphin.

Has anyone seen the US version? I heard there is a different ending in that version, where Jacques comes back up or something, since the American audience likes happy endings.

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed it, and now I can't wait to see Oceanmen. Does anyone know if it is out on DVD? I'd rather see it on IMAX, but they're not showing it anywhere near me.

Also is the Oceanmen TV Documentary available on video?

Terry

Oceanmen review on Deeperblue

On you home page you write an interesting review of the movie Oceanmen. Here is a clip from it:

Living legend Jacques Mayol "the father of freediving" introduces us to today's freediving heroes, Cuban-born Pipin Ferreras and Italian-born Umberto Pelizzari. Good friends in the beginning, the competition quickly turned the divers into bitter rivals.

In respect of the Great Mayol, could you update it please ?

Thanks,

LGB

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT