• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The birth of "El TraductoR"

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

DeFishWhisperer

Apr 27, 2010
Here's the unboxing of my OMER Airbalete Camo 3D 100, all my guns get names.... Sticking with my spanish theme, I will call her..........

"El TraductoR" -she will help me deliver the message to my constituants and really connect with them! I feel "El TraductoR" should be able to deliver the point across very effectively. Only time will tell..... :martial

Attachments

• DSCN1039.jpg
    DSCN1039.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 202
  • DSCN1036.jpg
    DSCN1036.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 189
  • DSCN1043.jpg
    DSCN1043.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 223
  • DSCN1046.jpg
    DSCN1046.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 176
  • DSCN1047.jpg
    DSCN1047.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 210
More photos :friday

Attachments

• DSCN1081.jpg
    DSCN1081.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 203
  • DSCN1063.jpg
    DSCN1063.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 196
  • DSCN1058.jpg
    DSCN1058.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 205
  • DSCN1054.jpg
    DSCN1054.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 197
  • DSCN1051.jpg
    DSCN1051.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 187
Reactions: Mr. X and devondave
:friday Just one more set.... She's currently unadulterated. Enjoy!!

Attachments

• DSCN1080.jpg
    DSCN1080.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 191
  • DSCN1071.jpg
    DSCN1071.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 190
  • DSCN1078.jpg
    DSCN1078.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 195
  • DSCN1076.jpg
    DSCN1076.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 186
  • DSCN1067.jpg
    DSCN1067.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 187
:blackeye For the guys who like doodlin' in class and grew up with Tom & Jerry!

Attachments

• DSCN1074.jpg
    DSCN1074.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 184
  • DSCN1073.jpg
    DSCN1073.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 184
  • DSCN1046.jpg
    DSCN1046.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 175
WOW!!!!!!

I see that your in New England

I dive in RI alot and would be great to dive with you.
Not just because of your new gun tho!.... Well maybe a litlerofl

We'll have to definitely get together.... Do you use dive weights? if so how much? Figured the wetsuit is gonna make me float like a cork :head

Not sure about the whole weight thingy... :hmm

Cheers, Matt

Nice gun and welcome to the dark side. I like the enlarged and revised drag
adjust ring with the serrated edges. The brown handle, power reducer and
reel look great.I just finished making a shaft retainer for my gun, didn't know Omer had one already available. Good to see they are still revising the Airbalete. Thank you for posting the great images.
Cheers, Don Paul
PS What state are you in, I a ex Yankee from Conn years ago.

Matt
Let me take you under my wing or fin so to speak

I am a dive instructour a commercial diver and an avid spear fisherman. Here is my email... diverhurst@yahoo.com so feel free to aks me any Q's. Ul find every answer on this great site too.

Def have to have waits and a rubber belt is the way to go. Mako has the cheapest and a real good one

Much appreciated jimy! I picked up a rubber Omer belt and 3 three pound belt weights (9lbs total). Thought I wud start with 3# each side and hopefully be ok. Add the other 3# if needed. Goin' to the great salt ponds to familiarize myself, my experiences tell me that shud be the highest vis...

I have friends who are strictly divers with lots of photos with 25# lobsters, what other benefits of going scuba? The scuba guys use screwdrivers believe it or not, says using the guns with scuba should be illegal. I'll drop you an email for more training and cert info.

Much thanks,
Matt
Posted via Mobile Device

We also have all the tuna's (including granders), cod, mahi, tog's, floundy's, crabby's, and lots of other junk. Great whites off the cape... no experiece/info on bill fish though...

Cheers, :friday

Tip of the day:
A correct weight set is 50% of what you need for successful spearfishing.
Why?
Because you do that in the water, where aquaticity and buoyancy are the fundamentals.
So ballast yourself right, and ALL the rest will come after.
In facts:
-You can't freedive correctly without the proper buoyancy.
-You can't observe and learn fishes' behaviour without a proper buoyancy
-You can't stalk fish correctly without a proper buoyancy.
-You can't shoot fish accurately without a proper buoyancy.

Please feel free to ask for more. :)

I agree that spearguns and scuba should be ileagal. Scuba is good for lobys crab and shellfish.
Freediving is the way

NooB First dives.... vis was about 7ft in the salt ponds down at the breachways. I was hoping for twice that vis. Spent the 4hrs in the water working the weight belt and learning the Airbalete and just making sure gear was manageable... Tons of horseshoe crabs breeding everywhere, little fish and little crabbys too... my Factory spec'd Airbalete 100 (20 atm) was quite easy to load and felt really comfortable aiming and shooting... The gun pulls approx 2.5 wraps (1 wrap=72") before line wanted to spool from the reel. Recoil was pretty much non-existent (unless u think a .22 LR kicks). The gun and gear performed exaclty as it should have. Water temp was 53F, the only portion of me cold was my lips on the snorkel (full 7mm suit and gear). Found out my fat ass needs approx 24-26lbs of lead weights to get the buoyancy close...

My biggest challenges after my day 1 experiences are:
1) the mask seal- having difficulty working the dive hood material over the mask edges performing a good seal for deeper dives.
2) dive belt weight distribution- this thing freekin' sucks... still learnin' :)
3) tethers- floating dive flag and my Airbalete... there's gotta be a better way... I have a 6' tether line to my gun and a seperate 60' to the floating flag. Feels like its very messy and an opportunity to get really wrapped up.

If any spearos would like to share their suggestions and remedies for my current challenges, it would be greatly appreciated :)

FYI... I'm 5'9" and weigh almost 200lbs. I'm not sure if I can load the 110cm gun due to the reach needed. Feels like I'm almost completely stretched trying to load my 100cm gun (measures 41" overall). With the 20atm factory setting, I feel a reasonably strong person can load the spear using glove only. I required the loading tool as I'm currently using my foot as the loading method for inserting spear (wish I was taller :) )

Airbalete more power- I could use/handle (increased range, recoil is non-issue) more power from my Airbalete. Figured its capable.. I'm capable.. done.

All constructive criticism/advise will be much appreciated!! Hopefully I'll post a first speargun fish pic soon!!

:friday
Cheers, Matt

Hay Mate
So I was wondering were you got that gun from and how much it cost. Think Im starting to fall in love with it!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT