• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The DeeperBlue.net Gun Building Extravaganza - Gun Options 2 - Length and Bands

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

What length and band options for the gun

• Euro style 90 with single band

Votes: 28 34.6%
  • Euro style 90 with twin band

Votes: 9 11.1%
  • Euro style 100 with single band

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • Euro style 100 with twin band

Votes: 16 19.8%
  • Euro style 110 with single band

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Euro style 110 with twin band

Votes: 14 17.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I’ve gone for the 90 with a single band with no other motive than a purely selfish one of, that’s the gun I’d like to win/use.

I stick with my first choice of a 90

2 bands cause it looks badass
and my name engraved down the side with a plate to notch off the amount of bass its going to help me catch

Im gonna go with 110 and twin and the waters my way are by the sounds of it alot more clearer than most of the pple i see posting.
Also my Cressi SL100 is good for reefs and slightly larger species.

Jamie

guys bear in mind that if you choose the double band option, it can still be used as a single band...

So far this poll looks a lot closer than the last one & of course Mawan is right you can choose a twin band gun & only fit one band.
However if you are sure you only want one band then that will give the builder a little more scope to to thin down the muzzle & maybe keep the whole gun a little lighter.
Please feel free to make any comments about the shape of the gun you would like to see - IE elliptical barrel (cuttlefish bone shape) high mass at the rear or very thin muzzle etc.
We would like to laminate the wood fairly soon so some idea of the overall shape would be a big help at this stage :)

90cm twin band seems to be about the most versatile, IMHO. But the elliptical / squid shapes on a longer single band might be interesting! Did we settle on a material?

Reactions: Pastor
Yes Rick, the gun will be built using "teak & purple heart" We cant give any more details about number of laminates or their placement etc until we have more idea on the desired shape.
On that note we would like to assure you that - laminating different woods of a similar nature will not jeopardise the integrity of the stock but in fact make the gun very stable.
Many top gun builder choose this method & it is well tried & tested. What is more to the point is the gun will look superb & individual.

Reactions: Lockedin
Where’s Spaggie?
I would have thought he would have some input on the overall style and shape of this master piece after all the Italians are known for there flair with design.

Well, I decided to get into this as well. :D

I don't know much about spearing, but I have long ago decided to give it a try. And I want the gun, so I might as well put in my two cents worth in the decision what it should look like.
I'm going for a double band 100 as that seems to be pretty versatile. :)

So for those who are wanting a twin band gun are you thinking high mass barrels/bodies? Wide thin or more of a round shape?

Single band at 100cm. keep the profile as fine as possible

Kev

So for those who are wanting a twin band gun are you thinking high mass barrels/bodies? Wide thin or more of a round shape?
I voted 90cm -- good size usable in most locations inc. murky old Britain & the sunny med. (For the UK alone, 80 or 75 -- but they are not options).

I would normally use a single 16mm rubber, so that would be fine, but I like'd the option of using larger rubbers (18/20mm) or a second rubber. So a mech capable of holding that force, a double notched spear & accomodation for a second rubber would be good -- but I would only fit one rubber to start with (a single 16cm Dessault/Rob Allen or 18mm Omer bulk rubber).

A low profile muzzle tip to aid lateral movement would be desirable (although with a 90 not sure how much difference that will make). The C4 shapes have always struck me as highly optimized. Low mass. Failing that low turning moment (e.g. mid-handle/slim tip/...).

There is a picture of a very slim light 100 or 110cm gun posted on Portinfer's gun making thread. Something like that but a little stronger would be excellent. There is also a muzzle on another thread which uses a sort of muzzle wishbone on each rubber to allow it to handle three rubbers while still using a very slim muzzle (if that were an issue).

So far this poll looks a lot closer than the last one & of course Mawan is right you can choose a twin band gun & only fit one band.
However if you are sure you only want one band then that will give the builder a little more scope to to thin down the muzzle & maybe keep the whole gun a little lighter.
Please feel free to make any comments about the shape of the gun you would like to see - IE elliptical barrel (cuttlefish bone shape) high mass at the rear or very thin muzzle etc.
We would like to laminate the wood fairly soon so some idea of the overall shape would be a big help at this stage :)

Having re-read Foxfish's post above: a single band gun would be fine (despite my vote for double - change it if you can), I think a simpler, lower profile design will be more elegant and more effective for this sort of project. (The wood choice sounds great).

Last edited:
Well,

The choice actually depends on what type of fishing you are after, really, or even what type of waters you are fishing...

My personal options are based on the following:

A good all rounder for european waters (Atlantic) is the 90 cm, eurostyle, single band musket (I voted for that). It has sufficient length to be precise in shooting long-distance (think bass here), and not really very cumbersome to move around. Under very low vis, I switch to a 75.

I never use double bands. that is because it has been shown that although they tend to lend some power to the initial thrust, one looses in med- to long distance accuracy and the distance fetched by every shot is not really improved. Another downside is that it increases resistance to lateral moves, as when you are trying to follow trrough a fish going by at a perpendicular to you - lots of resistance added and a freaky vibration that scares the crap out of decent bass. There is another more dangerous aspect - with two wires stuck on top of eatch other at the spear notches when you are loading, bad things are more likely to happen - read serious injury to your fingers when one of them gets loose. Plus, looking badass out of the water is OK (I guess) but the fish will not appreciate that a lot, and I tend to favor the stealth approach. For more distance power, I switch bands from 16 mm to 20mm diameter. For more nervous impact power, i tend to get rapid, nervous slings - the red ones, but that is not very often the case. For more impact power (read > 10 Kg conguer eels or other similar fighters), I tend to switch to a second 90 cm, with 20 mm bands and a thicker, heavier spearshaft (7.5 mm diameter instead of 5.5).

For clear waters, I use a 110 cm euro style with soft single rubbers, the latex variety. Shots are fluid, and there is enough momentum to carry the spearshaft far with accuracy. On my old neck of the woods, however, bass seemed to already know the safe distance according to length of speargun, sadly and you had to be clever

When coming out of the water, badass spirit is always shown by handling a really big fork and digging in with gusto :t large bottles of ice cold beer and a way with the grill also seem to help....

Interesting that the 90 with twin band & the 100 with single band are running neck to neck at the moment.
keep the ideas comming especially what type of shape you would like to see?

I'm definitely no gun expert (I'm still too young and too poor to be one) , but I like the sleek look of a 100cm or 110cm single band gun. I'll vote for the 100cm because it seems like many people like shorter guns.

Hey, we are a pretty congenial bunch, so do not worry about age or level of income - most of the rich guys i know are real sissys when getting into the Atlantic (not that I know a lot of them, I tend to be picky with diving buddies - after all, if your diving buddy seems on the verge of collapsing when there are 50 cm waves, or worried that his hands might get scratched, whats the point in him being with you?). I started at 13 with a homemade gun and diving in bath trunks...major shivering and no time to think a lot on the finer points of artillery. My case in point: apnea and spearfishing are great schools, where you learn your limits and know mother nature like no other sportsman...the silence is daunting when you are at -15 m lying on the bottom waiting for bass - it seems the ocean is a very large mother that craddles you in her arms. Sometimes, I even tend to forget about the fish :t For this, you only need the will.

So, keep around, and we will be around - every earthly sea is interconnected, so when we are down there, we are all together. thats why we rock.

Best,

Oak

Reactions: podge
I went for a 100cm single band gun, useable here in the UK and abroad. Bang a 18/20mm rubber on there and you should have plenty enough power, 2 rubbers just makes the gun less manouverable. And 100cm is a nice size gun to sneak in the suitcase when going on a holiday with the Mrs. Shape wise i wouldn't really have a clue, anything thats fairly stable and tracks well. Possibly shaped like the gabbiano (cuttlefish) or cayman HF2?

Just make the muzzle user friendly:) i find open muzzle's are a pain in the arse when you've got thick gloves on and your trying to reload in a hurry. Simple is good:friday

Will there be a rail or something similar on the gun to mount a reel?! Save on the hassle and drag of a floatline.

Cheers Ian

Last edited:
Just make the muzzle user friendly:) i find open muzzle's are a pain in the arse when you've got thick gloves on and your trying to reload in a hurry. Simple is good:friday
How about making it an enclosed track?

Enclosed track would be nice as would a slim fine profile and single band.90cm of course.:)

Reactions: podge
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT