• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The DeeperBlue.net Gun Building Extravaganza - Gun Options 2 - Length and Bands

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

What length and band options for the gun

• Euro style 90 with single band

Votes: 28 34.6%
  • Euro style 90 with twin band

Votes: 9 11.1%
  • Euro style 100 with single band

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • Euro style 100 with twin band

Votes: 16 19.8%
  • Euro style 110 with single band

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Euro style 110 with twin band

Votes: 14 17.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just googled enclosed track guns, looks good to me nice and user friendly. Having an enclosed track wouldn't make the gun much more bulky would it?

Not at all, here is one i built a few weeks ago.

Attachments

• P1030515(1).JPG
    P1030515(1).JPG
    222.6 KB · Views: 153
  • P1030517(1).JPG
    P1030517(1).JPG
    225.5 KB · Views: 137
  • P1030518(1).JPG
    P1030518(1).JPG
    220.9 KB · Views: 138
  • P1030447(1).JPG
    P1030447(1).JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 125
Nice pics foxfish, have you dived with that gun yet and what sort of length is it?

Foxfish,

For help with the shape and design, you can chaeck the following sites. omer makes a cracking wood gun - Ive tested one, and believe me, if you manage to do it, I will even buy it :inlove

Check:

Totemsub . arbalètes en bois et videos de chasse sous-marine
Bricoler une arbalète en bois pour la chasse sous-marine
OMER Arbalète COBRA CIRCULAIRE 130cm avec trou sandow rapide

If you need some help with the french, just holler. There was also a crazy guy in New caledonia that made spearguns by measure, in some kind of tropical wood. this was a few years ago, i will see if I can remenber and will get back here. Not laminated, whole piece. It sounds that you are embarking in a great project. Let me know how I can help

Best,

Oak

105 cm...just cause its a custom gunrofl, enclosed track in purple heart, last 4 inches open, 2 bands 1 5/8 other 9/16...shape diamond shape of course:martial

Just googled enclosed track guns, looks good to me nice and user friendly. Having an enclosed track wouldn't make the gun much more bulky would it?
Yes it would add more wood to the gun look at it this way: The sideways profile will be the same, the smoothed overall effect would create less turbulence when moved in the water-easier to swing, it would have more mass-better recoil absorption.

too many UK voters on these polls i say :):):) maybe equate my vote for 4 of those UK blokes :):)

Reactions: Lockedin
Enclosed track sounds a bit too much on a single band 100 or a twin-band 90. The issue with finding spears with big enough shark fins should not be overlooked especially if the winner (me :t) lives in Europe. There are not too many shafts on the market with big sharkfins in short lengths i.e. 130 or 140 cm.
I personally voted 100cm single band, but I guess single 100 and double 90 are pretty much the same weapon. The effective range will be around 4 meters either way.
I'll stress my point again. If you put a reverse trigger mechanism you will have the shooting length of a 100 (or even more) in a 90cm body. This will be the perfect all-around gun.

I'll stress my point again. If you put a reverse trigger mechanism you will have the shooting length of a 100 (or even more) in a 90cm body. This will be the perfect all-around gun.
Interesting idea. Never heard of this before -- is there an example product or project on the web that we could take a look at. Is the idea to use a mid-handle mech but in a back handle format? I think Wong might offer an option like that, the "rear-plus": Daryl Wong's Legendary Spearguns - Custom Built in Hawaii

What's the point of an enclosed track? I can't see the need for it but I can foresee potential problems (insufficiently straight spear, blocked barrel, special finned spear needed, wear/corrosion/friction, jammed spear, spear-line routing, building complexity/cost,...). I'm sure there are answers & ways to eleviate the problems -- but what is the gain to justify it?

BTW how about including one of those barrel magnets Foxfish reported on (used by Riffe?).

Last edited:
110 single band thin barrel, set up for a light shaft(6mm),

That would be a sweet gun!

Interesting idea. Never heard of this before -- is there an example product or project on the web that we could take a look at.
Pathos and Imersion guns have this. It is just a different arrangement inside the trigger mechanism so that the sear is behind the actual trigger instead of in front of it. 7cm is more accurate than 10cm.

What's the point of an enclosed track? I can't see the need for it but I can foresee potential problems (insufficiently straight spear, blocked barrel, special finned spear needed, wear/corrosion/friction, jammed spear, spear-line routing, building complexity/cost,...). I'm sure there are answers & ways to eleviate the problems -- but what is the gain to justify it?
Enclosed tracks are awesome, give it a few years and there will be a few euros with them instead of just the likes of Trygons. If you shaft is straight enough to be used normally then there will be no problems, friction is eliminated by water cushioning. The huge advantage is that because most of the shaft whip is eliminated you can use much thinner shafts or crank up the power without worrying about loss of accuracy. :inlove

BTW how about including one of those barrel magnets Foxfish reported on (used by Riffe?).
Good idea :)

Pathos and Imersion guns have this. It is just a different arrangement inside the trigger mechanism so that the sear is behind the actual trigger instead of in front of it. 7cm is more accurate than 10cm.

Actually it depends on the trigger and handle design. I have a reverse trigger mech on one of my guns and the difference compared to the regular one is 10 cm. The total length of the gun is 140cm and the loading length is 122 cm. On another gun I have, with a regular mechanism, the total length is 136 cm and the loading length is 106 with the same spear.
Here is a general idea thanks to Persiko (arbalegno.com):

Last edited:
OK OK, it depends on the length of the sear, so approximately twice the length of it. Don't tell me, yours is bigger than mine rofl Story of my life rofl

Reactions: Dobs
Sounds useful. So, that would move the loading notches back 7cm, providing extra stretch & power but also requiring a pull closer into the chest to load - assuming the spear is notched as normal. Anybody using an Imersion gun care to comment on what it is like to load? [Apnea Online Store have long sold the Imersion brand spear guns].

I've got 4 guns with this arrangement, I don't notice any difference but I'm not short of strength so maybe that helps. The Pathos triggers can be had here (7cm rofl)

So for those who are wanting a twin band gun are you thinking high mass barrels/bodies? Wide thin or more of a round shape?

Wider and flater re: good swing action, stable when firing. That said, I'm used to a short (76cm) two band, and a Riffe mid handle (139cm) with three bands.

The Riffe has a narrow body and the optional wings on it and they do a great job stablizing the front end of the gun when firing.

Teak and purple heart should make a beautiful laminate piece! Can't wait to see it!

Last edited:
Reactions: Marwan
I voted 110cm with twin band. I liked the squid shape, not sure where I saw it but I do remember seeing it somewhere. Seems like it would add a little strength with out making the gun cumbersome and hard to track with?

it was a coin toss for me between the 90 and 100 twin bands. the 100 won but no matter the length i would like to see a wide, flat barrel as that would help with tracking.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT