• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The DeeperBlue.net Gun Building Extravaganza - Gun Options 4 - Trigger Location

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

What trigger and handle location would you like?

• Rear Trigger & Handle

Votes: 26 51.0%
  • Rear Trigger & Forward Handle

Votes: 25 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stephan Whelan

Papa Smurf
Staff member
Admin
Jan 7, 1999
The latest poll on the DeeperBlue.net Gun Building Extravaganza. Choose the trigger and handle location.

Apart from raising the hand in line with the barrel and gaining a little bit of extra extension, what is the big advantage of a rear handled gun? A forward handle has got to be the way to go!

OK so we have a new poll, the question is do you want a standard rear handle & trigger configuration or do you fancy a rear trigger unit & a handle set falward maybe 150 or even 200mm (6" - 8")???
Please ask questions & discuss the pros & cons befor voting.

Reactions: Pastor
Recoil comes back into your hand with a rear handle. A mid-handle gun rocks back over your hand, causing the muzzle to rise and the shot to go low (at least for me).
The only mid-handled gun I ever liked was my old Cressi spring gun. Not that much power, and so heavy that it stayed put when fired.
Howard

Reactions: Mr. X
But you have to add some serious power to make a decent gun roll over the handle. I have 4 mid handle guns and 3 rears and there is no difference in the accuracy of either type. The whole exercise is about getting our heads together and designing a, well, a well designed gun :)

Reactions: glowworm and Mr. X
Hteas, thanks for your input but I must stress this will not be a mid handled gun as a previous poll defined the gun to be a euro stye gun, we have decided that to be diplomatic & fair the handle will have to stay, at least, near the rear of the gun!
I think a slightly falward handle would make the gun look very special, very cool & very individual but whether it would be any more effective - I ask you?

Last edited:
I like the look/idea of the slightly forward handle. It also needs the grip angle of a 1911 or Springfield XD :) The Springfield XD 45ACP fits my hand so nice, a speargun to match would be perfect!

Crap, I think I voted to early. I was thinking the other option was a mid handle:blackeye. I apologize for my hastiness. I think either way will be acceptable. Now that I think about it my riffe euro is a rear handle but has about 3 or 4 inches to the but (Im assuming this is what is meant by rear trigger, handle slightly forward). I do enjoy this set up. You still have the range with a little added maneuverability.

Gits told me he could fit the trigger mechanism right back toward the gun butt & link the trigger with a s/s pin to a falward set handle.

Hi all long time no see, interesting project you have going here, I really would have liked to be here from the beginning.
About the handle, Id say a slightly forward handle will suit the gun well. With euro guns being mostly made of ali or carbon the gun tip is not that heavy. A timber construction is in essence much heavier and solid than both other materials used to make guns so the slightly forward handle will apart from being aesthetiacally pleasing also allow for better distribution of weight and give you a well balanced gun when in the water...

Another nice idea mite be to have a double handle with a rear trigger handle and another one set forward and from that one to give you a similar effect but this will limit the movement and speed of the gun to the hunters ability to manouver both hands simultaniously.

Hi deep thinker, good to have you back.
We did think about an adjustable handle but because a 90 euro is quite a small & light gun we thought the balance would need to be set. If you move the handle around the centre of balance will also move but maybe the next one will have a sliding handle?

Hi deep thinker, good to have you back.
We did think about an adjustable handle but because a 90 euro is quite a small & light gun we thought the balance would need to be set. If you move the handle around the centre of balance will also move but maybe the next one will have a sliding handle?

Hmm good to be back mate.
I think you mite have misunderstood, I meant slightly forward, not sliding forward. In other words, I think the handle set off the rear of the gun is a good idea as a rear end handle mite cause the gun to be a bit tip heavy because of the timber constuction. My other idea was to have a double handled gun, but with a 90 for shooting reefies its gonna slow the gun down too much.

This gun will be way more versatile with rear trigger and handle slightly forward. I use a rear handled 90cm euro gun most of the time. When vis is down to a metre or so I often have fish appear inside the spear tip and they're gone before I can adjust for a shot. Having the handle forward should be some help with this. Maybe it'll make the gun more adaptable to cave and hole shooting too.

I voted early (oops). Hteas information interesting & unexpected but I also found Pastor's come back somewhat reassuring. I think most of us have & are comfortable with rear handle euro-guns & smaller wooden mid-handles are a bit of a USA specialty. However, I like the idea of doing something a little different and I've previously noticed that Daryl Wong offers such an option -- which suggest to me its unlikely to be a horrendous mistake. I also think (perhaps mistakenly?) that some of those very cool handmade wooden spearguns from Italy & Greece (& Guernsey?) have the handles a little forward (or perhaps that's just the wooden loading butt?).

As you probably guessed, I voted for moving handle a little forward. Seems like it might offer the best of both worlds -- or perhaps the worst, either way, time we found out!

[Although, at the weekend, while using my new 75cm gun, I was craving the full range of my 90cm gun*. Perhaps handle forward would be a better option for a slightly longer, say, 100cm gun? *My brother tells me it is the same with shotguns, and it always feel like you've got the wrong one! Unless you have a Mamba 90 of course -- no, don't go there.:D]

Last edited:
Now that I think about it my riffe euro is a rear handle but has about 3 or 4 inches to the but (Im assuming this is what is meant by rear trigger, handle slightly forward). I do enjoy this set up. You still have the range with a little added maneuverability.

I take this back, my riffe has a rear handle with a rubber butt. It is not forward 3-4 inches(shows how much I know my own equip.:blackeye). As far as weight, my gun is balanced quite well underwater. True on land its tough to extend fully but underwater very easy and its a 110. Im changing my mind more than a square-dancer partners. Im now satisfied with my vote for a rear handle and rear trigger. I think this is definately a clearwater train of thought. Why sacrifice any of your range/reach? In the end majority rules!

Im loving this!:blackeye

My Riffe is a mid - but it's also 139cm! My little Sea Hornet has the handle a bit falward, but I would still consider it rear handled, and great for kelp / reefs and funky water. I'm really loving the debate, and can hardly wait to see The GITS take on the finished product.

BTW are we too far into the shape of the gun to make the forward wide wings? I have them on my Riffe, and they stabilize the gun nicely (or is that just because of the length and power of that particular gun - 139cm and 3 9/16 bands)

My Riffe is a mid - but it's also 139cm! My little Sea Hornet has the handle a bit falward, but I would still consider it rear handled, and great for kelp / reefs and funky water. I'm really loving the debate, and can hardly wait to see The GITS take on the finished product.

BTW are we too far into the shape of the gun to make the forward wide wings? I have them on my Riffe, and they stabilize the gun nicely (or is that just because of the length and power of that particular gun - 139cm and 3 9/16 bands)

I think the wings are more suitable for a gun the length of your 140. The point of a 90 seems to me to be the optimal maneuverability. If you add wings moving the gun up and down in the water column will be very difficult. If im not mistaken, the wings on larger guns are used to reduce recoil and shaft whip. I dont think they would be necessary for a 90:)

Had to go rear as i see the 90cm a wee short for a forward grip. Also, less linkage sometimes means less to break.

As it’s a euro 90 and not a mid handle 90 and because I’m also thinking about the less to break thing I’ve gone for a rear handle and rear trigger.
Not that I know anything about the building of a speargun so I’ve no real personal experience to go from, just my rambling thoughts.:)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT