• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The DeeperBlue.net Gun Building Extravaganza - Gun Options 4 - Trigger Location

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

What trigger and handle location would you like?

• Rear Trigger & Handle

Votes: 26 51.0%
  • Rear Trigger & Forward Handle

Votes: 25 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Aloha All,

This is a great thread. I didn't vote because they are all good. I think many of us tend to over analyze the handle placement. Handle placement should be where it will work the best for the diver using it. It's like golfing. Look at the endless styles of putters. You don't have only one club to play the game. That is why I build the handle for wherever the diver needs it.

On bigger guns with a long stock, a mid handle might be better to aid in maneuverability while a small 75cm or 85 cm gun would be best with a rear handle.
I once heard from a European national champion that Euro guns were originally designed for diving deep, shooting small fish in cracks, and holes. A 85 cm gun is a big one by his standards for the Med. For diving off Florida for bigger game, or Puerto Vallarhta for big pelagic he favors mid handle and rear handle plus guns. He mentioned that once you go bigger than 100cm then maneuverability and also loss of power compared to a multi band type comes into play.

I do know that compared to some of our rail guns, a hybrid type gun enables you to have a little bit of buoyancy and yet maneuverability compared to a same sized Eruo gun. This is because you can only get so much buoyancy out of a tube vs wood stock. In the end it just depends on what type of gun, handle placement and style of diving you like. Me, I like them all. As long as its a stick with a band and sharp rod on it to kill fish , I'm happy. Look at some of the spearguns that are in countries that don't have access to modern spearguns. The divers do just fine with umbrella wire, rebar and anything that can be sharpened and propelled by rubber.
Here are a few pictures to give you an idea of the different handle placements.

Picture 1. this is a eruo hybrid with the handle in the back with the portion of the stock behind the handle the same as our Hawaiian railgun
Picture 2. Both 2 and 3 are examples of a rear plus and a mid handle for comparision.
Picture 3.
Picture 4. shows Euro style,Rear plus, Mid handle , and rear handle.

The Euro style handle I do is my version of putting the handle as far back on the stock. Obviously there is room for farther placement but I choose to go leave enough room for the mechanism and some stock to use when chest loading. Take care, dive safe and love the debates!

Aloha,Daryl

Attachments

• euro hybrid green camou, reel.jpg
    euro hybrid green camou, reel.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 107
  • Red Tide GR and Euro hybrid.jpg
    Red Tide GR and Euro hybrid.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 112
  • Hybrid styles.jpg
    Hybrid styles.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Thanks for your input Daryl.
I like the fact that most of you are explaining your choice but I am surprised, as usual, with the voting so far!
Personally I would prefer to see a falward set handle simply because I have more rear handle guns than you can shake a stick at!

when i voted for the slightly forward handle i had daryl's rear handle plus in mind...same as the great gun he made me :)

Check the slightly forward handle on this petrol-pump baby

[ame=http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1964-AMF-Voit-spearfishing-gun-photo-print-ad_W0QQitemZ370051739584QQihZ024QQcategoryZ37836QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting]1964 AMF Voit spearfishing gun photo print ad on eBay, also Ads-Print, Other Advertising, Advertising, Collectibles (end time 21-May-08 04:05:39 BST)[/ame]

Last edited:
Haha that petrol pump gun is awesome!!, some on was switched on when that idea came to mind!!! I voted for a slightly forward handle as I have 2 rear handle rail guns and well If I am the lucky one to win it it'll be something different.

Its pretty interesting how close all these polls have been. Seems maybe there is something to be said about both handle positions. Im trying to keep an open mind but still happy that the rear handle is in the lead.

It's pretty darn cool having Daryl Wong's input.:cool: Thanks Daryl!
Thanks for your input Daryl.
I like the fact that most of you are explaining your choice but I am surprised, as usual, with the voting so far!
Personally I would prefer to see a falward set handle simply because I have more rear handle guns than you can shake a stick at!
I suspect those voting for the forward handle (like myself) are probably in areas where 90cm is considered long -- so we want to also have the maneouvrability of a shorter gun. Those in the Med. prob. need the full range inc. the barrel (might make a good cave gun for grouper though?;)).

[I can see the frustrated non-winners of the prize wanting to join Daryl's waiting list for one of his gorgeous handle-forward guns to fit their specific needs]

Am I right in believing that this poll ends tomorrow (Monday)?

It's running very close.

Ok, Ok,

I voted. I wantd to keep this poll close. The reason I voted rear trigger forward handle is because you can maximize the band pull on the gun and get the maximum shaft length too. Actually mechanism placement was my vote. Mid handle. Rear plus, euro style .... they are all great and have their time and place when diving.

Aloha,Daryl

Im new to the site, and I wish I had joined a while back. I have read through all of the other threads on this subject and would like to add my vote to this pole if you all don’t mind. :confused: .. Im a fan of shorter gun's and easier/quicker maneuverability, I can always seem to get close enough for a shot :martial (never a problem) it's just trying to maneuver where I hunt without whacking my barrel on a rock the becomes difficult :head:head... so i think my vote will stand at forward handle....

I'm mostly just comfortable with my rob allen 1300 which is a completely rear handle, and I love it, I'm not sure how this gun could be more accurate (except me being a better shooter ;) ). But the idea of it sitting slightly forward might have some interesting effects on the guns center of torque when fired. It seems to me it would make it more likely to pitch back over the hand thus making the shot go high, not low, as previously mentioned. With my rear handle the only compensation i usually have to make is iff my flopper is loose or if I'm not using my extra long spear, for some reason my shots go low. Havnt figured out why yet.

Well, the gun is not overly big, but I would think, having it different than a standard Euro gun would be one plus, since it is custom. But also with a slightly forward handle you could place on hand on the loading plate, the other on the handle and pivot the gunfaster in all directions. As far as the recoil, I doubt you would have much felt effect, and again with a hand on the rear of the gun, you can hold most of that out anyway.

and just like that, I'm a convert! I keep forgetting this is only a 90cm gun, and having hardly used guns with rear plates, I probably shouldnt even be commenting haha. Gotta learn somehow tho.:head

Well it looks like the standard euro gun configuration is in the lead!
I find it interesting that most voters for the falward handle, have stated their reasons - but who has been voting for the rear handle?
I hope this gun will not end up looking like a standard shop bought woody?

I voted for the rear handle because of the fact that I dive in clear water. I need all the reach a gun can provide so sacraficing a few inches does not appeal to me.

Furthermore the gun is only a 90. If built correctly, which I have no doubt it will be (for there is probably hundreds of years of experience being accounted for in this build), the maneuverability of the gun should be like a hot knife through butter:)

There is no way this gun will look like your standard store-bought woody. Any similarity to an existing gun will only arise because that particular trait/design works well.

Just my thoughts...:friday

Well it looks like the standard euro gun configuration is in the lead!
I find it interesting that most voters for the falward handle, have stated their reasons - but who has been voting for the rear handle?
I hope this gun will not end up looking like a standard shop bought woody?

Nah, the body will have style and at least 15 pieces of flair. That's just the minimum. (Office Space reference)

if it does look similar to some guns, I assume it WILL be because thsoe traits are exceptional as previously stated, as long as things that are different and new aren't added just to be different and new, if ya catch my drift.

Like they say a mechanism is sufficiently perfected not when you've added all you can but when theres nothing left to take away.

I'm pretty well blown away by the amount of expertise and thought that has gone into this project already. You folks are doing an amazing job

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT