• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The DeeperBlue.net Gun Building Extravaganza - The Build

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Well its all Greek to me baby:):) but I do like the sound of an epoxy track.
I have no idea what Derlin is, metal sounds to harsh and maybe noisy, plastic seems to me to be to cheap and tacky an option for such a master piece and I’m not to sure about cutting it straight into the Teak, will it not maybe weaken the gun or have an effect on the overall balance?
Just my humble thought gents I stand to be put in my place by such masters as Foxfish, Pastor and Spaggie.

Reactions: Pastor
Well its all Greek to me baby:):) but I do like the sound of an epoxy track.
I have no idea what Derlin is, metal sounds to harsh and maybe noisy, plastic seems to me to be to cheap and tacky an option for such a master piece and I’m not to sure about cutting it straight into the Teak, will it not maybe weaken the gun or have an effect on the overall balance?
Just my humble thought gents I stand to be put in my place by such masters as Foxfish, Pastor and Spaggie.

well even with the epoxy track you still have to mortis out (cut out) a portion down the center of the gun. I like the idea of reinforcing it with graphinte/epoxy. I think it will be very quiet and reletively bullet-proof!

well even with the epoxy track you still have to mortis out (cut out) a portion down the center of the gun. I like the idea of reinforcing it with graphinte/epoxy. I think it will be very quiet and reletively bullet-proof!

Exactly that, you’d be replacing wood with a drop or two of brick hard epoxy and i reckon it'll look pretty cool :)

Don't know anything about wood or barrels but I seem to recall one guy using some odd T-shaped lamination recently. Another thread (in which Foxfish was involved) discussed enclosed tracks & Delrin seemed to be the choice of those involved (searching for it now, it looks like there are several threads on this very subject) & I believe Foxfish might know where to source it(?).

Alternatively, you could try "Unobtainium":D (just kidding, I believe that's what they call the secret low-friction graphite/polymer/ceramic used to make the nuts on the more expensive PRS guitars).

How should the spearline be rigged? I would prefer to see it attached at the back of the spear but I could see that being a problem with the enclosed barrel (but not impossible). And perhaps a s/steel pin at the muzzle as a line guide?

Reactions: Pastor
How should the spearline be rigged? I would prefer to see it attached at the back of the spear but I could see that being a problem with the enclosed barrel (but not impossible). And perhaps a s/steel pin at the muzzle as a line guide?

Im not a hundred percent sure but I dont think that the line can attach to the back of the spear. Doesnt it have to be attachted to one of the shark fins in an inclosed track?

Some dude from some island somewhere and with two older brothers mentioned the idea of tapering the centre laminate from about 20mm at the butt to 12mm at the muzzle.

that man then must be a genuis...I think that would look, flare...and tapering with squid shape...the gods would be envious:martial

Reactions: foxfish
Im not a hundred percent sure but I dont think that the line can attach to the back of the spear. Doesnt it have to be attachted to one of the shark fins in an inclosed track?
Yes the line attaches to one of the sharkfins, well that's how it does on my wooden tracked Wong

Attachments

• yDdraigGoch (5).JPG
    yDdraigGoch (5).JPG
    374 KB · Views: 212
Reactions: Mr. X
I have used derlin, I think that this is the best material commonly used? Very tough & slippery.
I have used wood, easy option but difficult to get an uniform finish inside the track. Not difficult to cut but difficult to apply an epoxy coat without little bumps & irregularity's.
I have used metal, very very tough but a bit noisy!
I have used epoxy mixed with micro powder, very good method, you can add colour to the glue so it looks cool too.
I have not used nylon or many of the self lubricating plastic available, but I am going to search the net for more info on some of these plastics.
Have a look here - theplasticshop.co.uk - the online supplier of Perspex, Lexan, Tufnol, acrylic rod, acrylic tube, acrylic mirror, industrial strip curtains and all engineering plastic rod, sheet & tube

I have used derlin, I think that this is the best material commonly used? Very tough & slippery.
I have used wood, easy option but difficult to get an uniform finish inside the track. Not difficult to cut but difficult to apply an epoxy coat without little bumps & irregularity's.
I have used metal, very very tough but a bit noisy!
I have used epoxy mixed with micro powder, very good method, you can add colour to the glue so it looks cool too.
I have not used nylon or many of the self lubricating plastic available, but I am going to search the net for more info on some of these plastics.
Have a look here - theplasticshop.co.uk - the online supplier of Perspex, Lexan, Tufnol, acrylic rod, acrylic tube, acrylic mirror, industrial strip curtains and all engineering plastic rod, sheet & tube

The way Ive seen the epoxy tracks made was first the track was mortised out square (~5/8" wide by ~5/8" deep... not sure of the exact measurements) Then the entire track was filled with a graphite/epoxy. Next a shallow center line is cut down the epoxy fill (1/8 or 3/16in.) This is then fallowed by the track cut w/ a circular router bit. The resulting track is smooth and straight.

Hey I was thinking and this might be either not possible, or just not viable, but what about a teflon coated track? I know nothing about enclosed track guns and I'm not sure if the spear actually makes contact with the track, but if it does teflon is a low friction surface that might work? no?

I'll chip in my two cents here too, as for the track delrin seems the easiest option but i'd like to see the epoxy and graphite (or similar) powder. Not only is it a little more custom, we can then have some discussion on the colour of the track (achieved I think by picking different powders to mix with the epoxy) to match or contrast with the gun barrel.
As for shape if we are discussing that already squid shaped would rock.. kinda like the Omer HF im holding now... mmmmm

Reactions: foxfish
One problem with the derlin track I can see if the centre piece is tapered is that it will have to be wider at its narrowest point than the top of the insert and that will exaggerete the difference between the visible dimensions at the front and back, if that makes any sense?
An advantage is that it could be raiser a little and Dapiran style super wide wishbones could be used without fear of damaging the wood

You lost me there mate but derlin is tried & tested, however I think an epoxy track could be milled to have a raised edge? I think Mr Gits will be reading this & hopefully give his input tonight?

Does this make sense? Horribly done in highlighter and biro rofl Mostly visual rather than to do with the derlin physical properties.

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 190
The wood looks like it will make a sweet gun. I'm betting it will turn out better than the image in my head.

I'm not sure who gets this gun or how that choice will be made. So not wanting to hold my breath waiting for it to be me...Does The Gits have a shop of his own to do custom work? The care he took in finding this wood makes me want to have him build me up a gun.

Good threads on general gun design with the Extravaganza threads too.

Well to be honest we dont know that much about the Gits workshop? We do know he is a trained master craftsman & yes he does make a very limited amount of custom guns each year.
There will be some sort of competition available but we have yet to decide on a format but you will have as much chance to win the gun as the next guy :)

Reactions: ILDiver
Thanks Fox, I'm just not patient :) Also not worried if I do or do not win the gun. If I somehow managed to win it, I would be ecstatic though! The care taken so far makes me want a gun by Gits. I kind of put it out there hoping maybe for a PM from him if he is willing to do another project. Really I'd like to make my own, but my wood working skills are limited to carved Hawaiian slings so far.

Speaking of custom guns, yours are impressive as well fox. Good job.

There will be some sort of competition available but we have yet to decide on a format but you will have as much chance to win the gun as the next guy :)
Which of course won't be open to the forum staff. HMMMMMM anyone notice anything here?

Yes you are no longer staff!! That's it I am resigning rofl
Thing is IL, a custom built gun like the one we are building would cost at least £400 ($800) maybe a lot more?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT