• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The DeeperBlue.net Gun Building Extravaganza - The Build

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
An all-wood track is definitely easier to build and will have the same performance characteristics as any other material. The only problem you run into is durability. If you don't reinforce the front section, it is almost inevitable that at some point (a drop or a big wave) the shaft will get hit and rip through the front section of the enclosed track. I know, because one of my guns did this - there wasn't any change in performance, but now it has another battle scar.

That was my go-to gun and had lots of use, so the chances of tearing an all-wood track increase with how much you use it. I have a big tuna gun with and all-wood track, but I don't use it much, so I'm not worried about the track.

Going with a poured epoxy front section is the easiest way to fix the problem. If you have an orbital sander, you can use the dust collected in the bag as a filler for the epoxy - it ends up giving it a more natural color and doesn't stand out as much, plus it's very strong.

Dudes we will build whatever the majority want but why a wood track? This gun has the potential to be an amazing tool using the latest technology & materials!

I really liked the idea of an epoxy track, but im not too particular. Just wanted to come to a conclusion:blackeye

Get a Poll going and get people voting? This is how we came to a 90cm Euro single band enclosed track can't remember the spear type or size. If we get a poll going on the type of materials used for the track I'm sure you'd have an answer in a day or 2? I vote Epoxy with a green turquoise colour to compliment the purple heart. Some bright flouro colours sound good.

another vote for epoxy coloured track, green does sound cool. I think let people add their vote here for a day then the majority is what the gun gets? easier than another poll if a little less neat!

Paint it red I say! rofl

I think the dude want to cut the wood and glue it together this weekend. I'm going to vote for the centre laminate being 12mm at the muzzle and about 20mm at the arse end. We can debate the method or nature of the track later within certain parameters (dictated by the fact that gun will have already been glued up).

I say let the GITS run with it and surprise us... we already picked the style etc, so leave the details down to a master craftsman.. sure no one will moan at the outcome!?

I think we are all eager to get this thing on the road but Gits is waiting for conformation however I have a feeling he will make some of his own decisions? (rumor has it he is not English?) Anyhow I would like to see the stock glued up so I will go for the tapered look.

Dudes we will build whatever the majority want but why a wood track? This gun has the potential to be an amazing tool using the latest technology & materials!

One consideration is that if you use a full polymer track on a slim euro, you might loose valuable buoyancy by replacing wood with plastic. It just depends on how meaty the stock is.

kjflyfish, just out of interest if the track was cut straight from the wood how would you finish the inside of a enclosed track designed to take a 6.5 spear?

i would like to see the tapered look w/ an epoxy track, colored or not.

How robust is an epoxy track? I know they are very popular in the States so they must be OK but I have no practical knowledge

I was hoping to discuss it here in this forum but OK. If the epoxy track is that big then what's the advantage over Derlin? At least the Derlin can float and stop the gun bending like a bimetalic strip.

I was hoping to discuss it here in this forum but OK.

sorry, i just remembered that thread and since i dont really know too much about it id thought id post it on here.

Last edited:
I heard the GITS has no longer any use for his facial equipment and has grown his own gills?

kjflyfish, just out of interest if the track was cut straight from the wood how would you finish the inside of a enclosed track designed to take a 6.5 spear?

That's a good point. Most commercially available ball-end cutters aren't sized perfectly for a 6.5mm shaft, but if you could get ahold of one in 9/32" diameter, that would be perfect. As for finishing, one coat of penetrating epoxy followed by two thin coats of epoxy will do the trick nicely. The track on my 53" black gun was cut with a 5/16" bit for a 9/32 shaft. I only put one coat of penetrating epoxy in the track, and after some hard usage, the surface of the finish has worn away. It's actually pretty cool - bare teak track on a gun coated in black epoxy.

As for epoxy vs derlin/UHMW PE - I think epoxy arose as an alternative to the more expensive plastic tracks. I think the first commercially made gun to incorporate an epoxy track was the Deathstick by Ken Jones. His customers are as loyal as they come and from what I've read, many have sold their Wongs in favor of the Deathstick. So basically, epoxy tracks have been proven. I'm not sure about the rigidity of the two, but epoxy certainly doesn't allow much flex - Steve Veros of Poseidon uses epoxy tubes in his Voodoo Stick to mitigate stock flex.

I poured an epoxy track last night on my latest creation - 63" ultra slim bluewater gun. I'll post pictures soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pastor
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…