• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The elite people...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Pekka

neoprene dreamer
Aug 22, 2001
As I was on my Easter holiday in Finalnd and went pool-training I was introduced to other freedivers at the first time of my life, so far it has been diving with my friends and family and it all has been really relaxed and fun, but in pool training I got the feeling that poeple take freediving bit too seriously... I do it purely because it is fun and when diving you could be in an other galaxy it is so peaceful and relaxing..
Have you had simillar experiences? I mean that when meeting some freedivers that they are too serious about their diving...
Well Perhaps I am just strange person who likes blowing air-rings on the bottom of the pool instead of swimming 25-50meters underwater with breath-up...
ok it is good training but...I like freediving fun, relaxed, with safety..
;)

Reactions: andrsn
Yeah well ....

I think I've been accused of being 'elitist' more than once in my life ... but that was then. If there's one thing I've learned from these forums and it's inhabitants, it's that freediving is more than just fun ... it's a LOT OF FUN.

I used to do everything I did WAYYYY too competitively, and thought that I wouldn't get too competitive in Freediving - but then I ended up doing a lot of pushing, and that's fortunately also around the time I joined here. I've backed off on some, but not all, of my 'intense' training. We're here on earth to enjoy the beauty. So let's enjoy it.

You're going to find that in pretty much everything Pekka.

There are those that take their stuff way too seriously for the rest of us, but if no one gets hurt, then it's all good. To a point. If you're comfortable in what and how you do whatever it is you do, then whatever anyone else does is all on them.

Just a little re-hab psych for ya.

sven

right on

You're absolutely right pekka! I myself have a tendency to alway's push it, but since i dive with my girlfriend, she alway's make me remember that we are here to have fun. People that train a lot are very lonesome, it's a lonely world up there with the elite. Personnaly, i rather stay in 10' of water looking at all the life and stuff to eat then go out to freedive to 100' in the big blue. There's no point doing something if you dont enjoy it! Just my 2 cents :D

After spending time with Loic LeFerme, Claude Chapuis and the south of France Freedivers I can say that they have the system down to a tee.

They actually have fun, whilst still being serious. I was shocked (after watching UK freedivers in action) to see them chatting away and laughing/joking - then the next thing I heard was "OK - let's go" and suddenly off they went...I had to do a bit of a double-take on that.

After speaking to Loic about it, he said that the whole purpose of this was to put everyone at ease - there is something to be said about just having fun - and not taking everything so seriously!

Originally posted by Stephan Whelan

After speaking to Loic about it, he said that the whole purpose of this was to put everyone at ease - there is something to be said about just having fun - and not taking everything so seriously!

That's what I want from my freediving buddies..see take it easy and then when you of you want to push it do it right. It is alwayd dangerous when diving deep and the moment when doing it should be done with care.
And thanks for you comment sven, I'll try to fit in the best I can... I just thought that if any one has found out the same thing among freedivers.. But as I read these forums I think I am not posting with "elite" people in a bad sense.. And I mean the attitude, since I am soo pleased that the better freedivers here share their experiences and advice and that they are so nice to such novice divers as I am...
Thanks to you all!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT