• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The First Version of the Mares "Mirage" in photos

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
This "Mirage" auction is soon to end for the umpteenth time https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/254027360321?ul_noapp=true
No hand pump, but that is easily replaced.

The "Mirage"spearguns were supplied with an 8 mm and a 7 mm shaft, however it looks like the 7 mm shaft is missing. It is no great loss as the OE shaft was not made of the best stuff and you can buy a much better one today from "Pelengas" which uses Mares tails.

Note that the gun is not pressurized as the power selector knob is not right back in the gate which it would be as gun internal pressure pushes it back.

P.S. Well no bids as the seller wants too much for it. The white parts model which replaces the red parts model is more preferable and has the later bulkhead for improved (but not by a lot) breathing as the rectangular duct is still in the revised short boss handle. I am sure that in an era where manufacturers are seeking a marketing edge and a “flagship” model that a new “Mirage EVO” would sell, although it may be too much to hope for a “big bore” 14 mm ID inner barrel version with a venturi action muzzle as a compensator. And a new grip handle that is not a slab (as in the current "Sten") with some decent finger grips as were provided in the distant past with a side-mounted line release, although even the trigger finger guard mounted type would be preferable to the passive line clip shown here.
MARES-Mirage-3.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Diving Gecko
Here is a parts list for the Mares "Mirage" speargun created many years ago. There is a pumping tables included as well, but this will be for the less efficient bayonet connection hands pumps which lose a bit more air on each pump stroke due to the greater dead space in the hand pump to gun connection.
MIRAGE TABLE.jpg

[...]The white parts model which replaces the red parts model is more preferable and has the later bulkhead for improved (but not by a lot) breathing as the rectangular duct is still in the revised short boss handle. [...]
View attachment 53259

Just wanted to mention, or rather clear up the fact, that a Red Mirage can actually have the newer version bulkhead, too. I think you know that, but interested newcomers might misunderstand the wording.

I would think it's safe to safe that with a White Mirage you should be getting the newer bulkhead but with the Red it's a lottery - you can get both the older and the newer one.
This is why I was so thrilled that the seller of one of the red ones I have was willing to take it apart and share pics before I committed to buy (internally, it was a newer version).

Just wanted to mention, or rather clear up the fact, that a Red Mirage can actually have the newer version bulkhead, too. I think you know that, but interested newcomers might misunderstand the wording.

I would think it's safe to safe that with a White Mirage you should be getting the newer bulkhead but with the Red it's a lottery - you can get both the older and the newer one.
This is why I was so thrilled that the seller of one of the red ones I have was willing to take it apart and share pics before I committed to buy (internally, it was a newer version).
Yes, that is correct, the later "Mirage" parts lists mentions rose and blanco parts, i.e. red and white.

I thought this red "Mirage" had sold as the listing disappeared. But here it is back again, only 10 euros less this time. When new this gun was supplied with a 7 mm (weak) and an 8 mm shaft. I say weak as I bent the 7 mm shaft in the loading barrel with the gun pumped up to the max as I could not push the pump handle down any more times, the pump body tube being very hot (adiabatic heating). Even then a somewhat disappointing shot, strong, but not powerful after I nearly turned myself inside out to load it. I soon let some air out and only used the 8 mm shaft after that.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/254077901226?ViewItem=&item=254077901226

Last edited:
Here is another early "Mirage" which still has its vinyl sticker and original carry bag. This gun is slightly later than my "Mirage" as it has the small bump on the top of the red loading lever. Serial number 24984.

Mirage rear grip.jpg

Mirage rear grip rear view.jpg

The "Mirage" with its faux leather carry case did not sell, so it has been relisted here: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MARES-M...133074298500?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10.

Price still starting at 299 euros. From its serial number I now realize they changed the numbering system after my gun was produced as its serial number starts with a 6.
Mirage serial number.jpg
serial number Mirage.jpg

Another difference is the early guns have a 3 seal metal piston, two cup seals and an "O" ring, while the next batch have a two seal piston, one cup seal and one "O" ring and a plastic ring replacing the front cup seal. The front cup seal is a barrel wiper to push foreign particles out of the inner barrel during the shot.

Last edited:
Years ago eBay sellers dropped their starting bid price if an item did not sell after a couple of attempts at listing for an auction, but it seems now they are prepared to relist until Judgement Day to get their price. The idea of an auction is competitive bidding pushes the selling price up, but with no bidding the system falls flat on its face. Better to put an item up as “buy it now” if they want a certain price.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT