• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The Last Great Human-Powered Challenge - Breaching

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

HJ

Nov 1, 2000
I don't know a lot about the various underwater achievements and competitions that many of you participate in, but I've been around/in/under the water my whole life, and it occurs to me that the concept of Human Breaching is really a pretty cool idea. I mean think about it: the existing factors or parameters for all the other water-related achievements I can think of can be broken down into only four categories: (1) time (speed, races, who finishes first, who can stay under the longest, etc.), (2) depth (how far down can you go), and (3) length/distance (how far horizontally can you go); (4) score (goals, targets, shots, hunting, weights, etc.). (did I miss any?)

But there's an obvious factor not present: Height/Altitude, or how high can you go. Out of the water. Can a human, under his or her own power, clear the surface of the water, or how high can someone get out of the water, and with what kind of style or technique? A simple-enough question. Dolphins can do it easily (see attached). And there are plenty of people who say "yeah, I know a guy down in Botswana who did it." But are people really doing it? Is there proof? And if so, why aren't there competitions for this? Or at least categories or events within larger competitions. Now that would be something worth watching on TV!

And there could be different variations on the theme. Like "Aquatic High Jump" (from Eric Fattah), or "Aquatic Vault" (me). Then there's the True Breach (all parts of the body and appendages clearing the water at once). With different classifications under that: (A) "Pure Breach" -- no fins, nothing; (B) "Modified Breach" -- fins, arm fins, Eric's "Jump Box" or Andy's "squid umbrella", anything that's attached to your body and that still requires your own human propulsion; and finally (C) "Open or Freestyle Breach" -- anything goes: compressed air, using a partner, being shot out of an underwater canon... ;-)

I guess in a way, Breaching is sort of the opposite of this group's name and purpose, and that's maybe why some people are not that interested. But think about it: We've left the earth's gravity and landed on the moon. We've flown across the English Channel in human-powered flight. We've climbed the highest mountains. We've gone into the depths of the oceans. But who can say that they've escaped our watery world and launched themselves completely into the atmosphere under their own power?

And where's Ted and Lunocet? Here's a quick clip from Christopher Morey's piece from December 2008 after trying out a Lunocet: < ... I've spoken extensively with the inventor, Ted Ciamillo, and he's been very clear about what the Lunocet is designed to do.* The Lunocet is designed to enable a human being to breach out of the water under its own power.* That's it.* Anything else it is good at is icing on the breach. > What's the latest on that?

Breaching... the last frontier.

Haraldo
(who tried breaching today in a swimming pool with bi-fins but could only get out up to his swimsuit, which isn't saying much as any good water polo player can do the same treading water with his hands and feet. I'm definitely not going to be the first breacher, but I can't get the subject out of my head!)

Attachments

• FishPDFp68CU.jpg
    FishPDFp68CU.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 550
Last edited:
As mentioned elsewhere, Davide Carrera of Italy is the only person known to have done a perfect breach. He uses a mat-mas monofin with wings. Next time I see him I will ask him to do it and get it on video.

Sounds good, Eric.

Then we'll start the "Aquatic High Jump/Vault" competitions! :)

H

From what I've gathered Davide's breaches involve a fairly intense maneuver requiring a lot of strength and flexibility upon exiting the water. Some others on DB have reported getting out almost to the ankles. If that is a straight vertical breach its pretty impressive.

Ted has incorporated most of the changes we suggested in the Lunocet - the foot placement no longer causes the knees to incline outward and the feet have been moved down and back relative to the surface of the fin. He has also made the fin less buoyant.

Ted has incorporated most of the changes we suggested in the Lunocet - the foot placement no longer causes the knees to incline outward and the feet have been moved down and back relative to the surface of the fin. He has also made the fin less buoyant.
Great to know Ted still works on it! Not hearing from him since a while, and not seing any news in his blog or on the Lunocet website, I feared he abandonned the project.

Look at the end of this video. It`s only "almost breaching."

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool! He gets pretty high. But is he jumping off the bottom? (can't tell)
Looks like a competitor for the Aquatic Vault!

Thanks for video. (better seen on YouTube directly)

H

I asked Ted to join the discussion. Hope he does.

Watching that video that B-J posted (very close to full breach!), I started wondering: Is there a certain profile or type that would be good or better at human breaching or Aquatic Vaulting? You know, like in sports. Track & Field high-jumpers tend to be tall and lanky. Breastroke swimmers tend to be stocky. And Michael Phelps happens to have a perfect general swimmer's body with a long torso and short legs.

So what's the perfect human breacher physiology? I would guess first off someone with a lot of fast twitch vs. slow twitch musculature for explosive power. Maybe someone shorter and/or thinner for lower mass? I'm only generalizing for fun. Thoughts?

Haraldo

Pushing off the bottom will not give you much extra. If this pool is about 4 meters deep a freediver will have very little space to reach top speed. I`m guessing if he started at 15-20m, had a 5mm suit with no weights and gunned it, he would definately breach. I know a guy here in Norway that claims that he can breach with a buoyant suit. I will give him a call and tell him to make a movie!!:martial

Interesting theory, B-J. Definitely ask the guy to make that movie!

Using wetsuits or not is an interesting question as it adds buoyancy. On another thread here I wrote some draft breaching rules and that was in one of them. But let's not get weighed down with rules. Let's just see some breaching! ;-)

FYI: I was in the pool again today, and tried a different approach. Using short bi-fins, I started at around 2-3 mtrs under, gave a couple of quick dolphin kicks *and then added a full downsweep of my arms* just before the surface. I got up higher. Still only to my swimsuit. But I'm an old fart!

H

So I`m far, far away from breaching but I gave it a shot:blackeye Ill test it out in open water with a longer "runway."

Last edited:
Sorry... image(s) not showing on my screen. Can you try again? Would love to see.

H

Your gonna want to upload those files - the links are pointing to your C: drive - which ain't gonna fly.

Trying.jpg ©Fredrik Naumann
This is more like it. I`m not sure but I think I was at my highest there.

Awright, B-J! We have our benchmark!

Looks like knee level. Would you say?

And give us specs: type of pool/beach/water, depth, fin, your path, any details of what you did.

Cool.

H

4 or 5m pool. Triton monofin, rs1 suit. I swam slowly at the bottom then turned upwards and tried to gain speed. It`s a long way from top speed. Let`s say the pool is 5m. If Im stretched out with the fin I`m close to 3m. That only gives me 2m until my hands are out of the water. I have a pretty soft monofin and I`m not very fast either. I did a 50m without a "jumping start" and without a pushoff in about 22seconds. I wonder how it would look if one of the guys doing 50m in 14-15seconds would take this challenge?? This was alot of fun!!:friday

I couldn`t upload that kind of videofile to DB, but it worked on Youtube. This is my friend Trond Klimek from Norway. He is a great freediver and by far the biggest and most powerful freediver in Norway! I`m guessing 120kg+. Sounds like the filmcrew wasn`t expecting that. Not sure if it is a complete breach but it`s pretty close.

Last edited by a moderator:
4 or 5m pool. Triton monofin, rs1 suit. I swam slowly at the bottom then turned upwards and tried to gain speed. It`s a long way from top speed. Let`s say the pool is 5m. If Im stretched out with the fin I`m close to 3m. That only gives me 2m until my hands are out of the water. I have a pretty soft monofin and I`m not very fast either. I did a 50m without a "jumping start" and without a pushoff in about 22seconds. I wonder how it would look if one of the guys doing 50m in 14-15seconds would take this challenge?? This was alot of fun!!:friday

Good info, B-J. I have about the same depth pool. Will try it.
Next time try with a full double-arm sweep down just below the surface and see if that does anything.
Yeah, someone who has good sprint speed could be good at this.
I'm even slower than you! :)

This is my friend Trond Klimek from Norway. He is a great freediver and by far the biggest and most powerful freediver in Norway! I`m guessing 120kg+. Sounds like the filmcrew wasn`t expecting that. Not sure if it is a complete breach but it`s pretty close.

Wow. That is pretty close. And for someone weighing 264 lbs.! There goes my "light and thin" breacher profile idea :)

Next time you see him, ask him to do a "stand-up" breach attempt like you did (straight up). Would be interesting to see.

Good to see your enthusiasm to a whacky idea!

H

Hi gang,

Well, I got somebody to shoot some video of my first pool breaching attempt. See it here or on You Tube at:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vEZStic4OM]YouTube - Pool Breaching Attempt 1[/ame]

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2vEZStic4OM&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2vEZStic4OM&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I'm not very good, as you can see. But it's a start. Consider it a "what not to do" training tool! First, my fin is that prototype monofin I've written about before. It's lunate-shaped, which I think is the correct monofin shape, but this one is crude with various problems like needing better foot support and there's not enough lateral stiffness (you can see the tips folding if you look close). I don't have a traditional monofin.

And then there's my technique, which I admit needs lots of help. Too much butt and knee bending. But it's tough in this tight space. Max pool depth is 13 feet (4 mtrs) and you can see that I don't even get close to that. I'm doing this shallow arc path that only gives me about 1-2 vertical kicks. And then my patented double-arm sweep, which in this case might provide as much force as my kicking!

The freeze frame is approx the apex of the attempted breach, give or take. Looks like I got to the bottom of my Speedo sides. The guy I asked to take the video only had time for this one and had to leave. So I practiced a couple more with someone watching and was able to get up a bit higher, but not much. Maybe upper-thigh height.

So what do you think? Any way to do better in this pool? Maybe forget the arc and just start kicking straight up from the bottom?

Being younger might help, too -- I'll be entering the Masters age group for this!

H

P.S. And another new and related sport: Pool Jump Out !
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXDSPbZ_OUw]YouTube - Jarron Gilbert jumps out of pool[/ame]

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT