• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The meaning of Freediving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Hennie

Jan 18, 2002
These are my thoughts i would like to share with my freedive family.

To freedive, is the meaning of the word realy to be free while diving?.Free from what?

Free from scuba equipment?
Free from being land locked?
Free from breathing?

I reckon the answer is yes to all the questions but there is one that i left out that bothers me a lott, FREE from RESPONSIBILITY.

After receiving another mail notifying the freediving family of the tragic death of a fellow freediver i am wondering if we tend to forget what huge impact being irresponsible while freediving/training/spearing alone has on our sport.

It is your free personal choice to train/dive/spear alone but putting yourself into such a dangerous, irresponsible position is placing freediving in a dangerous position of being branded as a killer sport.

Next time you get into the water, think of everybody you might be leaving behind to clean up the mess you have left.

The ripple effect of a fellow freediver' s death on our sport is bigger than we can ever imagine.

Help to make our sport a safe one, think before you hold your breath.

The meaning of Life

Hennie,

Good on ya!

Well spoken, we have had our share of deaths hear in Hawaii. We had a string of 3 in 1 month last summer. I used to dive/train/spear solo all the time until I learned more about the sport and what was happening to my body. Education is the way.

DSV

free

For me reasons to start freediving instead of scubadiving, were really these you mentioned. Free from scuba equipment. Free from being land locked. Free from breathing. Free moving, you can get down and up quickly etc. I'm happy I found Freediving Team of Finland and can now train more safely.

I'm not so intrested to compete, I'm intrested to enjoy the feeling when getting to my limits, and discovering those limits further and further. Maybe there some day comes some recods or otherwise rough results, who knows. But those are not the point.

Love this sport.

Juha

Hey Juha,

Remember me? I'm the crazy tall, long blond haired American that sat next to you on the bus in Spain on the way to the parade. Ring a bell? I saw your pic on the personal best thread.

Keep the good spirit.

DSV

Umm.. I've never been in Spain :confused: And I haven't posted my pic here.

But maybe some day somewhere :t

Juha

Sorry, different guy:duh

Anyway keep up the good work.

DSV

Free from gravitational pull.........sure dude, free from stress!! awesome!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT