• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The Minima mask from Cressi

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
lenses

Eric

When I wear mono vision contacts, my right eye focuses from infinity to one meter and my left, about 1/2 to one meter. If the eye is in contact with sea water, does it have any focusing ability?

I just discovered that sea water doesn't sting my eyes the way pool water does. Since I'm having so much trouble getting goggles to retain water, does a double Cyclops approach sound stupid to you?

Aloha
Bill

Not Stupid

Yasemin Dalkilic and David Lee both use seawater in their goggles; they could drill holes in the goggles but instead they just flood the goggles when ready to dive.

The eye can still focus when exposed to water, assuming that an artificial lens first does most of the focusing.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

double vision with Cressi Minima

Hi y'all,

in my last pool training I had a weird experience with the Minima:

I dove down to 5m and suddenly had double vision. My first thought was a medical problem, but except of the double vision I felt absolutly normal. So still being immersed I continued my dynamic and fiddled around with the mask a bit and tried to equalize it once again and suddenly - pop - everything was back to normal.

So my explanation for this is, that I probably didn't equalize the mask sufficiently (as others have mentioned before, the nose pocket can slightly block this) and the mask was bent across the nose bridge because of the water pressure.

I still like the mask a lot, but one has to be aware of equalizing it regularly on the descent.

Regards
Uli

Further Clarification

So you suggest that the only way I can overcome my astygmatism in the water is by using fluid goggles. I am guessing that this means that you fill the goggles with sea water in the "inside:. Does this not cause eye irritations, infections and so on??

Is there any other way?

Thanks for answering by the way, I am sorry to pile up questions on you

:)

Not seawater

I don't recommend filling goggles with seawater; I recommend using contact lens solution 'saline', which is totally safe, sterile, and comfortable. Once it warms up you can't even tell your eyes are in fluid, except for the fact that you don't need to blink!

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Update on Corrective Lenses

I went to an optic store, and they gave me a negative response. They contacted two factories, but each of them refused to make the lens based on the fact that they would be too curved and different thikness on each end for the mask to be water tight

As a result I asked the doctor for the saline solution and he advised BSS solution by Alcon. It is a little pricey but when I tried it on the eye, it was as if nothing was there. The only issue was that I couldnt see, at least not at a close distance (a few inches).

I will try the saline solution on Saturday, actual diving conditions. If the improvemet is substantial I will have to begin investing in new goggles and a nose clip.

I am kind of excited as I feel that this is getting me in closer contact with the natural aspect of diving. Fluid in the eyes etc. However I am afraid of one thing.

I had tried a few times diving without a mask and found it impossible to equalze. I felt it was tottaly psychological, some form of drowinng fear.

Whatever the case I will know on Saturday,, big Test day.......

Update

I did a little search in the forums (should of done it earlier) :head

And found the fluid goggle website. Now I need some clarification... The Fluid goggles have a correcitve lense in them?? I read the descrption and from what I gather these are not regular goggles that you can fill with Saline since they would not cot $300+. If you can give me some extra technichal info. I was under the impression that I fill my regular goggles and I am off...
I am guessing its not as simple as that...:confused:

Thanks...

Not so simple

If you fill your mask or goggles with saline, you will be 20 times legally blind. You need a very special lens to correct your vision when the eye is in contact with fluid; this is provided by fluid goggles. Actually, finding such a lens is not that difficult, but just 'any' lens will typically magnify by 300% and give you a field of view the size of a pinhole. The difficulty in making good fluid goggles is increasing the field of view and reducing the magnification, to values similar to a mask.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Hennie ....

I saw the Cressi Minima at Sportman's Warehouse for R220 ..... R250 if you take the ard case as well .... Doesn't sound too bad?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT