• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The moment I was hooked.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

nicko1981

Oct 3, 2007
Hi.

Very new to this sport, stoked to find a website all about it.

I think I decided I wanted to be a free diver by accident at the Great Barrier Reef off the coast of New South Wales in Australia. I was on a snorkelling tour.

Having recently been diving in the icy waters of Bass Strait, I was immediately comfortable with the warm water with only shorts on. The scenery was amazing and vis was great - about 30m. The rest of the group were really just floating but I wanted to go deeper and see the reef up close.

After about 10 deep dives and just before the end of the day I experienced something I will never forget...

The boat was moored just next to a steep section of reef teeming with marine life. I felt the urge to see how deep I could go before we left for the day. The sun was shining and I could see the bottom clearly about 9m down below me. I calmed myself untill my heartbeat was as slow as I could get it (I had done some reading on free diving) and tipped over in the water, letting my legs push me down the first metre. I swam down to the bottom calmly rocking my hips back and forth, the dolphin style kick.

Once there I touched the sand and stood up. Glancing up to the surface I could see the hull of the boat almost directly above. The sun was shining down through the water in huge beams and the surface vibrated with lightning coloured flecks of sunlight. I could scarcely believe how deep I was. The pressure was intense and so was my need to breathe.

The moment lasted perhaps two seconds. That was it for me - I was hooked.

Hey man welcome to DB.
That is some first post and may you have many more of those experiences to share here :friday

welcome man, great post, made me think about my first time...wasnt quite as glamorous tho...
was in melkbos 3metres deep, fighting with kelp at low tide in dirty water, hehe, i was hooked nevertheless!

Thanks for sharing your emotions. That's what we're all craving for: emotions, emotions, emotions from nice freediving stories.
Welcome

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT