• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The opening hunt.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

bluecape

Apr 21, 2003
Hi Everyone

Although it is probably a day which most of the experienced spearo's have long forgotten, Saturday 11 turned out to be a landmark day in my freediving career so far. As a newbie to freediving, I started a few months ago...and have just been focusing on learning the basics, and getting comfortable in the ocean. Last weekend, I reached my deepest point yet, 22 meters, and decided that I was now feeling confident enough to buy my first gun, and have a crack at hunting. ( Tried once before on a borrowed gun and it was a comedy !!)

Well, today, I got into the water in the Atlantic Ocean below Table Mountain, 15 degrees, with viz a little murky, but not undiveable. With me, my brand new rail gun on it's maiden dive.
Big surge left us unable to visit the intended reef, and we ended up exploring some different caves. Much to my excitement, I spotted a nice size Hottentot-fish moving into a cave system, and this led me to a group, which dissapered as I arrived. Very little else was seen for the duration of the dive, and I ended up working on the group of fish in the cave for the better part of 45 minutes, to no avail.

With my buddies having called the day quits, I decided to have a last look from a different point, and ended up managing to get my gun, an arm, and a shoulder into the cave, and whilst lying almost inverted, I could see into the darkness. I was at about 7 meters, so had a bit of bottom time in credit. After about 50 seconds, as my eyes grew familiar with the light, I made out the faint outline of the fish in the gloom, just within my range...just.
I was now tired, and aware that my buddies were enroute back, and I had a fish barely visual in the dark, too far away to be a cert for this newbie. I had, however, had a great session, and had learnt so much on my first ever hunt. So with nothing to lose, I tried to center on the shape, and fired. Moments later, I was ascending with spear in hand, and a nice Hottentot smacked dead-centre ! I was absolutely stoked, as I write this, the memories and the smiles return, most of you have probably forgotten the feeling, but I am less than 6 hours past my first dive with my gun and my first fish, and still smiling !!!!!!!!

Safe dives to all

Jeff

Awesome story man,.... now you're hooked!

Pictures? I'd love to see what this fish looks like ;)

Thanks Fuzz

Have a piece of video footage, will try to lift a J-Peg image from the video ! Hottentot are not big fish however, but the most commonly hunted thru our area close to shore.
The yellowtail season has recently started, so hopefully can post a pic of my first 'Tail'.

Cheers

Jeff

Reactions: rigdvr
Hi Bluecape,

You can be pretty sure that the experiance will stay with you permanently. My first fish was 38 years ago and I can remember the whole thing in exact detail, a great memory. Good diving, your waters sound like fun.

Connor

HI

Congrats man. Where did you go diving exactly ? I usually shoot Hotties at Melkbos and Ganzekraal on the West-Coast.
I would also have gone spearing on Saturday but I rather watched the rugby and have braai.

Cheers Reinier

Hi Bluecape,

I am sure you'll remember your first fish! I have vivid memories from my first fish from the Barents sea above Norway... cold water great wiz and plenty of fish around..
Have safe hunting season down there!

Pekka

Thanks guys ! Hey Reinier, I shot the fish at Oudakraal, near Justins Cave. There was a bit of surge at Justin's, so we went to an area just North of Justins. ( Only about 20 meters away).
How is Ganzakraal ?? I dive at Paternoster quite a lot, and have passed Ganzakraal, but never been in there. I have also been told of a place to get big Hotties near Yyzerfontein, so will be out there soon. Call me if you're keen to check it out. 082 728 9235.

Cheers

Jeff

Congratulations Jeff!
Still remember my first good fish taken with a gun. I have been hooked ever since, so are you. Yeah man, post some pics. We all want to see what exactly a Hottentot is. Good luck and dive safe.

Brad

HI Jeff

Sure I'm keen to check it out. This weekend will suck though cause it is raining and the wind is gonna be fresh southerly. According to www.weathersa.co.za.

I'll Pm you my number. Give me a call when you are going.

Cheers Reinier

Awww yeah!

Bravo Bluecape! I appreciate very much your reminding me about the very basics and the excitement associated with shooting the first fish. It's still exciting 30-something yrs later.

Nice job! :cool:

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT