• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The Outlet Jan 19, 2008

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
The plain wood slings I have seen online look very similar to yours Jon. The use string to tie down the band, so I think once you have it to your liking, you should be able to lash it down with not real issue. I may front mount my bands. Scott could turn his around and use it the same way. Not sure if it would need to be modded any.

When we go to Ft Lauderdale I plan to get better band material. The surgical tubing should work for pan fish, even without a full pull though.

The only benefit I see to the nylon spacer is the ability to drill the hole through the side. I'm not a fan of the metal clamps. I've cut myself on them before and that was on land.

I need to start carving my other piece of teak. I wish I had a lathe! I have thought about getting another piece or two of the teak if I can. I'll bring you a piece if I do. Not that the wood matters, but you may find it fun, I dunno.

nice pics Jon vis looks great! I like the sling idea you could conceivably make a baby one for pan fish wow what a hoot!

btw I have a wood lathe here :)

My main hope is that when my kids are a bit older I'll get a chance to head back down to the Bahamas. Since polespears and slings are the only things legal down there I want to be lethal with the thing- well, maybe not lethal, but at least not sucky.

Since I read the article on retrosub.com about adding a shooting line onto a sling it got me thinking about what I could play around with in the winter months.

I agree about the nylon spacer not cutting your hands up. I had no issues today with my 3-finger mitts on, but I could see it becoming a problem in our summertime temps.

Jon

I want to be able to use the sling in Florida also. And on pan fish up there in WI.

I'm sure the hose clamp works great, just a bad flashback :)

I'll have to try the Coconut or MCT oil, if I can find some. I've often felt the chill then noticed I'm hungry. I've thought about packing a powerbar in my float. Maybe the oil(s) will do the trick. Thanks for pointing towards that Jon.

I just noticed this thread.......you guys got sling crazy all of a sudden.

I'm interested to see how the lines work with them. The shaft I always use is so big, it doesn't seem necessary. Most shots never leaves the shooter before hitting something.....it's 5 1/2 feet long or so.
I may be wrong, but I'd have a hard time picturing anything here getting very far with that shaft in it, unless it managed to find a wide open patch of course ocean sand in one of these muddy lakes.
But those pneumatic shafts may be a different ballgame altogether.....

Jon's going to be shooting those things through pieces of plywood soon.

It would not surprise me in the least if in a month you all switch to using powerheads or something...........and then 2 weeks later upgrade them to handle C-4.

Last edited:
I've thought about making a small .22 powerhead to dispach a carp once speared, but that is as far as I got with it. Small & penlike...pop it on the head & your done...no more fighting the thing to put it on the stringer.

Gene

As Forrest Gump said "I might not be a smart man..." - Not sure but if we discharged a powehead underwater - wouldn't that blow our ear drums? Not too mention Powerheads are illeagal to use in WI. It's a good concept- I just am wondering about the Sound factor.

I'm not sure. I've seen them take out sharks on TV & it doesn't seem to affect the diver...

You try first and I'll be far away! rofl

Is there anything that isn't illegal in WI? Just kidding.

Gene

this sounds like the beginning of a story with a lesson in it.
"gather round children, and let me tell you what we learned from Whopperhead's rather spectacular death, and the 27 carp that died with him."

A friend of mine in FL used a .38 powerhead once and mentioned that the shockwave felt kind of lie hitting hit by a car....but he was using a hand-held spear. I've always been content with hearing his experience and not trying it myself.

naaaahhhhh, I'm sure a .44 will be just fine, as long as you...well, you know, stick your arm out as far as you can.....

What could possibly go wrong?

Last edited:
It's not a .44 mag Handgun - it's a .44 mag "Bang Stick" - A 44 mag powerhead with a 5' pole. - but either way I'm not trying it in the water.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT