• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The push-off or beginning a dynamic

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Adrian

Deeper Blue Beachcomber
Supporter
Nov 23, 2002
This weekend I was present at a a local static and dynamic competition for selection into the Catalan team. (Catalunya is one of the autonomous regions in Spain)

While watching the contestants start their dynamics session I noticed that there were different ways of starting out. A good starting impulse will probably give you a few extra meters and save on O2 consumption.

How do you guys and gals do it?

Adrian

I use a monofin, but start exactly the same way as if I had no fin on my feet. I don't do a surface dive, I just squat down and push off the wall. My arms are pointed overhead at the beginning of the push, then I do one breaststroke, keeping my arms at my sides until the turn, where I repeat that movement.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Start

I do it exactly the same way as you Eric.
Is it allowed in AIDA Dynamic competitions to push off the wall with feet while starting and turning (can you turn with tumble)? Are you allowed to change the position of your arms after the turn?

Hey Adrian,
I am was there at the comp too ... but they said I had a samba in the static and wouldn´t let me do the dynamic.
Do you work around here ... if you want to train I am an instructor in the Medas Islands and can get boats out ... my mail is russellhollingworth@hotmail.com

Great!!!

Russel,
This is great! I live near L'Escala, unfortunately I didn't get to the statics in time - but was there for the dynamics. I'll email you directly.

Adrian

Hey I´m Oscar from Bilbao... do you remember me? so, what about the times in static and meters in dynamic on this comp? are there high level competitors?

For dynamics, I usually put my head down the water and little impulse myself with my legs to start the dynamics, with my hands in front of me (finswimmer style you know)

Last edited:
Re: Start

Originally posted by O'Boy
IIs it allowed in AIDA Dynamic competitions to push off the wall with feet while starting and turning (can you turn with tumble)? Are you allowed to change the position of your arms after the turn?

Yes. I tied Peter Scott's (Laminar) Canadian record last year at an AIDA comp using that method, plus 14lbs of weight on.
He has since stomped that record I believe!
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Thanks for the replies guys- as always your experience is useful.

Oscar, ¡claro que me acuerdo de ti!

The best static was around 5:15 or 5:40 - and in dynamics one guy did 100 meters with small fins, this was by choice as he also had long freediving fins, but decided that he was more comfortable with the former. He was the oldest guy too, probably around 40 and he looked like Peter O'Toole!

Most people did between 75 and 90 meters. There were around five - six competitors for dynamics if I remember rightly.

Adrian

I do exactly as Erik. After kicking from the wall, I glide until my feet pass the 5m mark, then I do one breaststroke. When I do my first kick, my feet a about 7-8m away from the wall.
Our local pool has a 5m markings at the bottom.

Mono, 3mm Elios suit, 1.2kg neckweight, two belts having 8kg lead - total amount of lead is 9.2kg!

/teppo

Reactions: Erik
correct email?

Originally posted by PESCAO
Hey Adrian,
I am was there at the comp too ... but they said I had a samba in the static and wouldn´t let me do the dynamic.
Do you work around here ... if you want to train I am an instructor in the Medas Islands and can get boats out ... my mail is russellhollingworth@hotmail.com

Russell,
I've sent you several emails and pm's but no answer - is this email correct?

regads,
Adrian

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT