• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The Rapture of the Deep - SI Article - The Deadly Dive (2.5mb - dialup beware)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

unirdna

tropical wuss
Sep 16, 2002
I still get numerous emails every month asking for this article. I've decided to make access easier for everyone. Stephen, I don't think SI will put up a fuss over the intent to spread awareness, but if the lawyers bear their teeth feel free to delete my post.

I know that this story stirs emotions in even the most concrete. So, if you decide to post, I ask that you keep all comments positive and constructive. My intent is simply to relay this story to those who were not able to locate a copy.

Kind Regards, Ted.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

You know, I read this article when it first came out. I still feel the same emotions now as I did then. Not feelings of anger or thoughts of accusation but of remorse and of wonder. Maybe one day I'll be able to connect with someone on that level.

Brad

Ted,
Thanks for posting these. That picture of Audrey on the stretcher is haunting and so full of tradgedy. Wow.
Stitch

I have read "The Dive" as well as the article... both brought tears to my eyes....
I almost died in a simillar way 6months ago at a much shallower deapth not even worth mentioning here, when i had a hard time leaving the bottom cos i was over wieghted. I cant even start to imagine the thoughts that went through her mind at that deapth....

May her soul rest in piece among the angels of the ocean.

Nesim

Hadn't the possibility of reading this article..thanks will do so tonight.

William Ferlazzo

Ted, Thanks for posting the article - I have tried to find it before without success.

What a sad story.
That picture of Audrey on a stretcher - I don't know what to say.

Lucia

thanks for putting this up. Really well written. Much better than The Dive. Hard to describe how it makes me feel. Worried mostly.... the responsibility that we take on when we encourage others to freedive keeps me awake at night sometimes.

Sam

A well written and saddening article!

Thanks for posting it!

I hope pipin and all other freedivers will learn how much safety is above all!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT