• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The right float system for the job.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

unirdna

tropical wuss
Sep 16, 2002
After pulling the trigger on that amberjack last month, I've come to realize two things. 1. I need to do that again - even try my hand at bluewater hunting. 2. I got lucky as hell that I stoned that fish, because I'm not sure that I was prepared to fight that guy without a float system.

Here's what I've put together for the next time I travel to the ocean.

FloatRig001.jpg

The reason I made this system this way, instead of using a standard float line system, is because I want the flexibility to NEATLY change the length of the line for any water. I don't want to be using a long line in 30 feet of water. And I also don't want my depth to be limited by my line. The spectra will be more than strong enough to hold any fish. The only issue I might run into is that it will not be as durable [as a standard line] because it is not protected by rubber tubing. So, I'll need to take care when shooting large fish around the reefs or wrecks. I'll also need to be more aware of possible tangling, so I'll always carry a knife, and be keen about using the reel to keep the slack line wrapped up. It also won't be as easy to handle as a standard line, however, the cleat system will compensate for that when battling a big fish. The line pulls through the cleat very easily, and then "bites" down. So, any progress I make on the fish will not be lost. I can also let the fish tire himself out on the bungie without me tiring, as well.

The main buoy is a Riffe torpedo float, which provides 80 lbs of lift. The reel is made by diverite. I spooled it with 100 feet of 1400lb Spectra line. The reel is pretty strong, and has a drag mechanism and lock built into it, but I'm not relying on it to hold if I were to shoot a large fish. So the line runs through a sailing cleat, with I "creatively" assembled with some hardware. The inline cleat is made by Spinlock, and is rated to handle up to 600 lbs of pressure. The line is then coupled to a bungie using a 400 lb swivel, and the bungie attaches to my gun (or a breakaway system) with a 600 lb tunaclip. The loop on my gun handle consists of two wraps of 300 lb, rubber-coated, stainless steel cable, enclosed in a sealed loop of 1/4" tygon tubing.

The final step in creating my "mini big-fish system" will be to have Mori build me a 7mm shaft with sliptip.

As for my freshwater spearing... I'll continue to keep that simple. I rarely ever spear in water deeper than 25 ft, and there is never a worry about losing gear to FW fish (not even a 50lb carp could rip a gun from your hand). This float system consists of an "Inshore" Aimrite float that is half the size of the Riffe float, and a very large (20" x 16") dive flag. The aimrite float is more resistant to puncture, and inflates/deflates 10 times faster than the Riffe float. The float line is 25 feet of 1/4-inch Norprene line, that can stretch to 50 feet.

aimritefloat003.jpg

Reactions: spaghetti
Very nice Ted! The only thing you forgot on your float that you'll need for BLUE WATER is the Camera Guy attachment. I don't see it? :D

Wouldn't a normal speargun reel have been easier- and smaller to pack?

Whether I had a gun reel or not, I would still want a float system that is adaptable to any depth. That was the main point. I'm not comfortable with the idea of having no floatation above to help me land a fish. I suppose I could have a reel on the gun, and use the float. But, that would negate my efforts to keep things tidy.

The adaptable-length float was the #1 goal. After that came the question re: how to land a fish (bungie/breakaway vs. reel).

Last edited:
My "ideal system" would actually be a bit different. But, I was unable to locate (read: unsure it exists) the mechanisms I would need to make it perfect. Here's what I would want:

A reel with an adjustable spring load on it (think of how a measuring tape recoils). So, the line could be set to gently recoil as you ascend. But, this would create an issue because the cleat only goes one way. So, you'd need a different mechanism other than a cleat. What I would want would be a cleat that performs like a seatbelt. It would allow the line to go in or out, but would bite when the line was quickly pulled out (and stay bitten). So, when a fish took off it would stick. Or, if the diver needed to pull himself up, he could simply give the line a fast jerk, and it would bite. Obviously, this piece would also need to be adjustable....and light weight.....and strong.....and small.... :D.

Yeah, winter gives us a lot of time to ponder.....

Last edited:
I just have my normal float line (40') and another cavern reel tied off to the back of my float. The float line is always with me and if I go to deeper water I can attach it to the reel.

I'm guessing things might work faster with your sailing cleat, but that's just more gear to buy and things to get jammed up when out diving.

Doesn't your reel lock things down hard enough without having the extra bit of hardware?

I thought about that, but now your back to my original point: I would not trust the security of my gun to the line on a cavern reel, attached to my float. Great for marking your position, but not for battling a fish.

The diverite reel has an adjustable drag built in (nice for keeping the line tidy), and it also has a locking mechanism. But, like all of those cavern reels, it is NOT a fishing reel, and I would never trust the locking mechanism to hold up to a burst from a powerful fish. As mentioned, the cleat is made for sailing. It performs very smoothly. I chose it because of its inline feature. The line can't slip out. It bears the entire brunt of the weight, and allows the fisher to use the floatation to battle the fish, rather than his own energy.

I would have a few concerns with this system. The strength in th hardware looks fine. But if line starts zipping off the reel or even over time the wear of the reel on the float. If your fighting a fish and pulling line through the cleat, I would think taking the slack up with the spool and only one hand will be difficult. (I have not seen this setup in person, so I'm guessing on some things). I'm not talking your system down, just food for thought.

I've thought about something like a speed pouch, where I would have my usable float like normal, but then if needed, the extra stored line could be pulled free from the pouch.

I do hope to someday go bluewater hunting and use a breakaway system. I want to set up a small breakaway system on my 55cm gun, hit a big carp and let it run :) Just pretend I'm bluewater hunting! rofl

I would have a few concerns with this system. ...if line starts zipping off the reel or even over time the wear of the reel on the float. If your fighting a fish and pulling line through the cleat, I would think taking the slack up with the spool and only one hand will be difficult.

I've thought about something like a speed pouch, where I would have my usable float like normal, but then if needed, the extra stored line could be pulled free from the pouch.

The line cant zip off the reel - the cleat stops that from happening.

You pull the line through with your hands at the front of the float, by the cleat, or at the back of the float, by the reel. Once the line is pulled though the cleat, it locks. It can't go back out, and there is no tension on that line (between the cleat and the reel), so you can use two hands to operate the reel and reel up the slack.

I have no intention of "reeling in a fish" - using the reel to battle the fish. I recognize that would not work - thus, the cleat. You pull line through, and once it's through, it's "yours". Then you reel it in when you have a moment.

I thought about the pouch, as well. But, it would be a mess when you are trying to pull a fish in. You would have to keep a hand on the rope the entire time - using strength. And you would have no means of recoiling the line during this process.

Last edited:
I realize you wouldn't actually reel the fish. Again, I'm not bagging the idea. I'm looking at ideas for myself too. So the fish can't take extra line? What you have out is all that is in play? I know you have the bungee end for play...hmmm...

This project brings to mind Oceans in Action II. The guy is trying to work a 200lb tuna up to his float. He passes his line through a ring and uses that like you are using the cleat, but without the break. He ended up with a mess and a potentially dangerous situation. So I see the reel idea.

I'm warming up to your rig. I can't wait to see it in the water and see how the pieces perform.

This makes me want to plan a bluewater hunting trip! All it takes is $$!

Last edited:
I think its a grate idea though a lot of big fish are shot at the surface on 5ft bellow. Wouldnt the line lock and leaving only 8 or 9 ft?

I think a big fish would take the rig if that was the case.

Reactions: Jon
All good questions! And I don't take exception to any of them (except Jon's - he always likes to sh#t on everything :D).

The cleat has a ball-bearing toggle switch. You can leave it open, or you can lock it down. If I was shooting wahoo in 10 feet of water, I would leave the cleat open and set the drag on the reel to the necessary tension (very little if I don't want the float to run away). This way, the fish could make it's run without taking my float. I would get to the float, and begin "playing the fish". At this point, I could change the drag on the reel or toggle the cleat, as the situation dictates. Once the cleat was toggled, I'd make sure to reduce the drag of the reel to "very little" (so I could easily reel in slack line), and I'd play the fish from behind the cleat, to prevent the fish from tiring me out.

The bungee would help to prevent the fish from tearing off, once the cleat is locked.

Open:
Cleat002.jpg

Locked:
Cleat003.jpg

Packed:
Cleat001.jpg

Last edited:
I think the reel on the float is a great idea. It annoys me to no end when we get out into deep water and I end up taking 4 or 5 quick dives to get out enough float line... The reel is easily adjustable. Awesome setup man.

I don't take exception to any of them (except Jon's - he always likes to sh#t on everything

Sounds about right to me as I now nominate you for the first ever Rube Goldberg spearfishing award. rofl

Rube Goldberg

I'd just use a float line for spearing- two of the put together if needed. I use the reel around here for quick tie off's for line diving. Reels have a tendency to get tangled up pretty quickly if you don't keep tension on them. Spools are simpler and have less that can go wrong with them. They are much faster to deploy, but can take more time to rewind.

Jon

Nice 3rd band Ted....

And do not forget to put 'a clip' on your weightbelt. You don't want the line to be on your gun continuously ...

I've got the same style retrieval system as everyone else. If you can come up with a more stream-lined system please post pictures because everyone on this board would like to see it.;)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT