• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The river

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
[note to self: no more drowning jokes]

Chris, thanks for the new avatar name.

This gets way off topic... I started flying Sims as a kid even before I started real flight training. I started on my Commodore 64 with a simple jet sim. Then onto a PC, with an old sim I can't remember, maybe an early Falcon version. Then in the Air Force my neighbor had Falcon 2.0 and we played that some. Then came the internet and USNF '97 over dial-up, followed by ATF Gold. People were switching to Jane's F/A-18. I did not have enough computer to run it and I was spending WAY to much time playing sims, so I backed out of sims. I have problems with addiction....

I'll never be able to truly explain to another group how a frozen squirrel and flight simulators were woven into the same discussion.

I absolutely kicked ass in Janes ww2. According to the 'new' scoring system I won the last and final big competition - way back. (in the 'old' system I placed 7 out of 300 or so) For awhile I flew under the name 'Littledebbie' and defeated virtually everyone. It was fun in its day.

I intend to dive near the mouth of the river here this weekend, and to take pictures of random objects, having been inspired by Jon's virtuosity and talent for seeing the wonder of ordinary things submerged.

Jon has also given me the idea of running our river here when the bay freezes. Its really full of stuff - particularly fishing lures, old glass electrical line insulators, antique bottles, engagement rings, glass slippers, walther ppks, axes, knitting needles, dental floss holders (really!) portals into alternate realities, lawn gnomes, wigs, crayons, winter angst, vague nostalgia, muskrats, a thousand broken dreams , unending riches, vacant stares, toasters, old shoes, stories yet to be told, stories told too much, drowned sparrows, lamprey carcasses, Walleye and other mysteries.

"- almost like diving in Cozumel-"

Now Jon, are you trying to make Unirdna jealous?

Connor

....rrows, lamprey carcasses, Walleye and other mysteries.

It's full of them, but fan you actually SEE them? The Illinois River here is filled with many mysteries of it's own, but they are lost forever. That is unless humans completely leave Illinois and Chicago (yes, they should be separate) for 1,000 years for nature to clean up the mess.

Well, if theres no melt off going on I've seen 30 foot viz in that river. That will be the trick though.

I absolutely kicked ass in Janes ww2. According to the 'new' scoring system I won the last and final big competition - way back. (in the 'old' system I placed 7 out of 300 or so) For awhile I flew under the name 'Littledebbie' and defeated virtually everyone. It was fun in its day.

Its really full of stuff - particularly... walther ppks...

Impressive performance, and finding one of those would be sweet. We found a rifle in the wisconsin when they lowered it to fix the damn, but that was just puddle jumpin not diving.

All I remember about my jane days was that I flew with the callsign "Dingo" and was terrible at dogfighting. It came mainly from not knowing how to lock on, and I played that game constantly FOREVER... never figured it out. Good straffer and ground bomber though... :D

Re: The Outlet 2008

Went diving/swimming in the river with Jon today- Was Fun! The water was a balming 32 degrees. Good place to do dynamics- Very clear and lots of stuff to look at. Would do it again.

Jon caught a ROCK BASS with his hands- that was cool.

Attachments

• DSCN1480.jpg
    DSCN1480.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 186
  • DSCN1482.jpg
    DSCN1482.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 189
  • DSCN1498.jpg
    DSCN1498.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 186
  • DSCN1515.jpg
    DSCN1515.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 185
  • DSCN1492.jpg
    DSCN1492.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Re: The Outlet 2008

a few more pics.......

Attachments

• DSCN1518.jpg
    DSCN1518.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 168
  • DSCN1512.jpg
    DSCN1512.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 184
  • DSCN1500.jpg
    DSCN1500.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 174
  • DSCN1496.jpg
    DSCN1496.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 176
  • DSCN1479.jpg
    DSCN1479.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 177
Scott (Whopperhead) and I headed out to the outlet today since it's been on all week long. When we got there this morning you could see the outline where the openwater used to be- as of last night! The sub zero temps overnight put a nice layer of ice over the entire thing.:head

Since we didn't feel like breaking through the ice, like last weekend, we decided to hit the river instead. It was steaming pretty good as the 34F degree water hit the -5F air which felt a lot more like -15F with the wind.

We started out by Marquette elementary school and swam all the way up to the Washington ave bridge. The swim up river kept us warm and once we turned around we sailed along to our entry point in a matter of minutes. I think we were in the water close to an hour and a half- which was plenty givien the conditions.

We did have quite a few ducks joining us along the way and I even found a rock bass to play catch-and-release with- he was moving pretty slow in the cold water so I could grab him with my hands.

No crack pipes or computers to be found this time, but I did find a fire extinguisher, bike wheels, VW engine cover, and other goofy bits of urban life.

The one thing that we weren't expecting was the thin layer of skim ice that kept floating down river and smashed into our faces. :blackeye I don't know if it was stuff that broke off, and floated down, from up river or if it was the river itself freezing as it flowed- it really was that cold out so it could be the latter. eventually, we started diving under and swimming under the floating ice sheets to pop up on the other side. They weren't to thick that we couldn't easily break through, but they were an annoyance.

I guess I'll have to try and post pictures later on- something's wrong with the upload manager right now.

Jon

The one thing that we weren't expecting was the thin layer of skim ice that kept floating down river and smashed into our faces. :blackeye I don't know if it was stuff that broke off, and floated down, from up river or if it was the river itself freezing as it flowed- it really was that cold out so it could be the latter. eventually, we started diving under and swimming under the floating ice sheets to pop up on the other side. They weren't to thick that we couldn't easily break through, but they were an annoyance.

Those floating sheets get plucked from the bank, as well as the locks area (opposite the overflow). I'll bet they could open you up if they caught you just right.

I can't believe you guys went out today. I saw the outlet freezing over yesterday, and was wondering if they were going to turn it back on by the time you guys got out...

The ice was thinner than the normal stuff you see form and break off- which is why I was wondering if it was forming as the water froze in front of us.

I've dove colder so wouldn't let a little Alberta clipper keep me from the water. What I need to is to be able to jump in during the week when the outlet is running.

I'm still having trouble uploading pictures. :confused:

It's a large Tape Worm coming out of his...... :D just kidding, It's Jon's float line. He brings his float to hold his key, crocs, ect....

Reactions: kelp princess
Some pictures I took today.

Jon

Attachments

• going down river.jpg
    going down river.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 164
  • frisbee golf.jpg
    frisbee golf.jpg
    340 KB · Views: 177
  • float bridge.jpg
    float bridge.jpg
    388 KB · Views: 178
  • dresses for success.jpg
    dresses for success.jpg
    394.5 KB · Views: 167
  • bridges.jpg
    bridges.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 177
A few more pictures from today.

Jon

Attachments

• scott monofin.jpg
    scott monofin.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 175
  • scott breaking ice.jpg
    scott breaking ice.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 178
  • icy mask.jpg
    icy mask.jpg
    435.2 KB · Views: 167
  • icey rockbass.jpg
    icey rockbass.jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 172
  • ice coating.jpg
    ice coating.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 175
A few more that show how steamy the water was. When we got in the air was so much colder than the 33F degree water that it almost felt like jumping in a bath. rofl

Attachments

• scott river.jpg
    scott river.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 168
  • scott river1.jpg
    scott river1.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 162
  • scott skim ice.jpg
    scott skim ice.jpg
    347.4 KB · Views: 168
  • scott swims.jpg
    scott swims.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 169
  • steamy morning.jpg
    steamy morning.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 165
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT