• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The Stillness Between Your Heart Beats

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Julie Daniluk

Oct 1, 2016
Hello Deeper Blue Clan,

I am so excited to find this forum as I have been doing bio-hacks all by myself. To know this level of support exists has light up my brain like a Xmas Tree. I started Scuba Diving at 23 and started Free diving recently. I love the peace of free diving. I love the stillness between my heart beats. It is a type of meditation that can only be understood by doing it. I have unusually low blood pressure - It is 90 over 50 so I wonder if the elevation of blood pressure creates a mental clarity that is additive. I am an anti-inflammatory nutritionist so I hope my interest in anti-aging nutrition will help reduce the impact of breathing compressed air and nitrox.

I do have a question:

My low blood pressure (90 over 50) is fine while I am under water but I notice when I get to the surface, my blood pressure drops suddenly and recently lost my vision for a second. Can anyone advise strategies on preventing black out and is my low pressure is an advantage or a concern? It feels like an advantage will I am down because my personal best is 3 mins and 10 seconds with out formal training.

This (and preventing this) is covered in great detail in beginner formal training. I am reluctant to give any advice, other than taking a class, simply because there are many other ways injury can occur.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very good advice from FINN. Let me add that lower blood pressure on surfacing is normal. My numbers were like yours for the first fifty years and now are variable enough to concern my doctor.

Welcome to DB.

Ditto the course. Your physiology is unusual enough that a good instructor would be especially helpful.

When you surface after a dive and take a breath, blood pressure generally drops. When your 02 is low, this can put a diver at risk of BO. Loss of vision is real close to BO. Hook breaths(taught in a good class) help keep blood pressure high and reduce the possibilty of BO.

Sounds like you might be more sensitive to BO than most. Very good reason to take a course, learn the hook breath technique and always dive with a buddy. Also, pushing your time down would be an especially bad idea.

One other thing, diving FRC ( roughly half lung) should be a benefit to a diver like you. Its a technique that requires careful exploration and practice, but works great for those who work on it.

Connor

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT