• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

the world and wreck

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

mishu1984

Halla Waaaaallllaaa
Aug 15, 2002
Went out with a friend at the crack of dawn on friday. weather was amazing.
we got to the World and i jumped in. the minute i get down, 5m. i spot what looks like a 20kg. hamour. this is 5 minutes into the day. i have my 110 loaded, with a 7mm and a single 16mm rubber. i line it up with the fish, right in between the eyes and pull the trigger. to my dismay, my shaft bounces off its face. and the hamour just swims away. my buddies, in seeing all this hit the water.

2 hours later the security boat comes by and asks us to leave. after a little chitchatting, they tell us we can fish the outerwall. in an attempt to save face we just leave and head out to a wreck.

we get there and its 11:30am
the sun is blazing and i still have a score to settle.
we jump in. this is basically open water. the closest you can get to bluewater in dubai, or so i made myself belive. floats and line were out, spare guns loaded.

we hit the water and are circled by a school of small jash. i find a decent sized one and pop the shot. thwack. one dead fish.
as soon as i shot it, one of the barracuda that was circling below starts to come up. and then another, and another. pretty soon i have a strugling jash and 10 barracuda surrounding me and my partner.

the jash is tossed into the boat. out comes the picasso 110. my buddy dives down and stones a cuda. as soon as we caught anything, it went straight onto the boat, as the cuda were getting pretty frisky.

i dove down. shot a cuda. good strong and secure shot. as i start to bring up the cuda, more start to follow taking nibbles out of their fallen comrade. freakin cannibals. im bringing it up slowly so that my partner can get a shot off at one of the bigger ones bellow. he doesnt. by the time i get it up, half the cuda is gone. freakin cannibals.

we continue to work the school of jash in hopes of finding really big ones. we dont. at least not till the end of the dive.

at one point, i look down. i pack my lungs and head down. i find THE biggest cuda ive seen in my life. i shoot it. it almost spools half of my reel. in the process i try to hold on to the line. big mistake. the line cuts right through the glove and into my finger. i let go. the minute a drop of my blood mix with the water, the next 3 biggest cudas turn and face me with their shinny teeth. that is when im out. as i kicked to the surface i could feel my line still tight in my hands. i fought the fish for a few minutes but it managed to get loose. the only consolation i have is that it will be eaten by fellow cudas. freaking cannibals

Attachments

• DSCF0255 - Copy.JPG
    DSCF0255 - Copy.JPG
    215.1 KB · Views: 170
  • DSCF0256 - Copy.JPG
    DSCF0256 - Copy.JPG
    394.7 KB · Views: 176
  • DSCF0257 - Copy.JPG
    DSCF0257 - Copy.JPG
    408.5 KB · Views: 171
  • DSCF0258 - Copy.JPG
    DSCF0258 - Copy.JPG
    439.1 KB · Views: 153
  • DSCF0262 - Copy.JPG
    DSCF0262 - Copy.JPG
    426.4 KB · Views: 163
Reactions: getawayFK
cool shots, mishu, one thing though, where do you keep the "loaded" spare guns? I assume your float, but isnt that dangerous?

we usually take turns. i dont go down till my partner is ready and loaded. same applies for him. so between the two of us, there is always a loaded gun in hand and a spare one on the float that can be quickly loaded if need be

hey bro beautiful catch... yes it happened with me b4 with cudas eating their fallen comdrade :) !! even worst it happened too that a large cuda burst at me at full speed after being speared....

anyway great catch and dive safely !

Btw i read in ur profile that u are in Qatar? ru here at the moment?

no right now im in the UAE. i should be in qatar towards the end of may when my semester is over

I might be around at this time... Drop me a line if u are interested in some spearfishing action here ;)

Cheers !

we go to a lot of places, wrecks, far offshore oilrigs, offshore reefs, reefs in the inland sea, west coast of qatar, etc....

u can check www.stateofqatar.com as well and see some of the action there.

cheers !

Looks awesome! Long time no see here mishu.
What does the cuda taste like?

Getaway: yeah, ive seen their stuff. impresive. do you go to Cornell by any chance?

Erik: yeah. talk about a 2 year dry spell. lol. in all honesty, cuda taste like crap. flesh was too hard, and the entire time i was eating it i kept on thinking abt my uncles telling me not to eat cuda: high instances of cig. poisoning so i didnt really enjoy it as much

Haha, well you don't know if you don't try :)
I've eaten some terrible freshwater fish at times too :yack

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT