• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The World's only Snorkelling Animal

So you're trying to convince us that an article that says in the title that we evolved from Neanderthals ISN'T incorrect? (Which it is...)

And that they're smart enough to "backfloat" but can't put 2+2 together to keep their faces out of the water, instead floated about with millimetre precision in terms of water to nose clearance?

I guess they used to do this whilst taking breaks from savagely hunting.... which they also apparently barely ever did.

(Sorry to the rest of you, thought I'd throw some more petrol on the fire!)

So you're trying to convince us that an article that says in the title that we evolved from Neanderthals ISN'T incorrect? (Which it is...)

You confused? Most humans have some neadertal DNA. Got it?

And that they're smart enough to "backfloat" but can't put 2+2 together to keep their faces out of the water, instead floated about with millimetre precision in terms of water to nose clearance?

Sea otters (hooded noses) backfloat, river otters (non-hooded noses) don't. Are sea otters smart enough?
Humans (hooded noses) backfloat, crabeating macaque monkeys (non-hooded noses) don't.

In calm bays & lagoons behind sea reefs & sand bars & estuarine beaver dams, (not in heavy surf or current), backfloating & diving for seafoods (rich in protein) and plants like seaweeds, sedge & water lily rhyzomes aka underground/underwater storage organs rich in carbohydrates).

I guess they used to do this whilst taking breaks from savagely hunting.... which they also apparently barely ever did.

Hunting increased gradually, ambush spearing started at waterside not on dryland savannas. (Chimps do hunt antelopes on savannas, they pursue on all four, and bite/grab/tear their prey, never spearing/throwing/jabbing anything while in pursuit, more similar to baboons than humans. Wetland gorillas use walking sticks while wading to measure depth with precision, but don't hunt anything.) 700,000 year old spears were found at a river swamp as are most fossils with stone tool cut-marks, they were trapping terrestrial prey only when they came to drink and eat fresh green herbs at waterside during dry spells. Dryland big game hunting was a late development (most aquatic foraging was earlier), after spears had been designed for balanced powerful impact through dense water and thus capable of penetrating flesh at longer distance through air.

You confused? Most humans have some neadertal DNA. Got it?

Good god man. This must be the single most ignorant comment posted on here for a long time. I guess I now choose to drop my manners for a bit, BUT, here goes.

Most of us do? It's more genuinely considered that it is merely a possibility and wouldn't be a surprise if, had it happened at all, the cross breeding was all bred out by now and does not exist.

"Got it?" Are you serious? That's supposed to impress your blinding wit upon me? Why don't you, instead of cutting and pasting, and then just DEMANDING that people support your outlandish theories, actually stay on topic, and give some decent rhetoric on the points questioned.

But I honestly think some of these threads are getting out of hand when they are added to in such ways as to allow no genuine debate Wet.

And may I add, that perhaps you take some more time in your replies, it seems to me that the start of any post you reply to that has been questioned will hold a fair few typos, and I believe this to be a rather obvious showing of your boiling blood?

Reactions: devondave
Good god man. This must be the single most ignorant comment posted on here for a long time. I guess I now choose to drop my manners for a bit, BUT, here goes.

Most of us do? It's more genuinely considered that it is merely a possibility and wouldn't be a surprise if, had it happened at all, the cross breeding was all bred out by now and does not exist.

"Got it?" Are you serious? That's supposed to impress your blinding wit upon me? Why don't you, instead of cutting and pasting, and then just DEMANDING that people support your outlandish theories, actually stay on topic, and give some decent rhetoric on the points questioned.

But I honestly think some of these threads are getting out of hand when they are added to in such ways as to allow no genuine debate Wet.

And may I add, that perhaps you take some more time in your replies, it seems to me that the start of any post you reply to that has been questioned will hold a fair few typos, and I believe this to be a rather obvious showing of your boiling blood?

You seem less interested in biology than in ranting. Most humans have some genetic information found in neandertals, some have some shared with Denisovans.

Interesting news today, human remains from 400,000 years ago found at Qesem cave in Israel, with sharp flint tools, deer bones, controlled fire evidence. This would be at the end of the most aquatic phase, where dive foraging reduced and dryland hunting increased, perhaps in correlation with fire use and wood cutting (primitive boats).
[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qesem_Cave[/ame]
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...ntists-forced-write-evolution-modern-man.html

Last edited:
Wet, you are honestly getting more ignorant as this thread progresses. I never ranted, I put into word my thoughts and they were all expressed with reasoning. It was the basis of a school boys essay in its format. So if you have nothing to say sit there and say it quietly instead of just dismissing their points with comments such as this : "You seem less interested in biology than in ranting. Most humans have some genetic information found in neandertals, some have some shared with Denisovans."

I AM interested in biology, your problem with my interest however lies in the way I am interested in substantiated facts instead of grasping at straws in a hope of convinving myself that my ludicrous wishes may somehow be true, but then again, it works for scientologists.

Wet, you are honestly getting more ignorant as this thread progresses. I never ranted, I put into word my thoughts and they were all expressed with reasoning. It was the basis of a school boys essay in its format. So if you have nothing to say sit there and say it quietly instead of just dismissing their points with comments such as this : "You seem less interested in biology than in ranting. Most humans have some genetic information found in neandertals, some have some shared with Denisovans."

I AM interested in biology, your problem with my interest however lies in the way I am interested in substantiated facts instead of grasping at straws in a hope of convinving myself that my ludicrous wishes may somehow be true, but then again, it works for scientologists.

more blahblah...

Neandertals cooked plant foods (per Micheners' Alaska, mammoths consumed fire-burned tree bark, carmelized sap)

Microfossils in calculus demonstrate consumption of plants and cooked foods
in Neanderthal diets (Shanidar III, Iraq; Spy I and II, Belgium)
AG Henry, AS Brooks & DR Piperno 2010 PNAS 107
online before print 27.12.10 doi 10.1073/pnas.1016868108

The nature and causes of the disappearance of Neanderthals and their
apparent replacement by modern humans are subjects of considerable debate.
Many researchers have proposed biologically or technologically mediated
dietary differences between the two groups as one of the fundamental causes
of Neanderthal disappearance. Some scenarios have focused on the apparent
lack of plant foods in Neanderthal diets.

Here we report direct evidence for Neanderthal consumption of a variety of
plant foods, in the form of phytoliths and starch grains recovered from
dental calculus of Neanderthal skeletons from Shanidar Cave, Iraq, and Spy
Cave, Belgium. Some of the plants are typical of recent modern human diets,
including date palms (Phoenix spp.), legumes, and grass seeds (Triticeae),
whereas others are known to be edible but are not heavily used today. Many
of the grass seed starches showed damage that is a distinctive marker of
cooking. Our results indicate that in both warm eastern Mediterranean and
cold northwestern European climates, and across their latitudinal range,
Neanderthals made use of the diverse plant foods available in their local
environment and transformed them into more easily digestible foodstuffs in
part through cooking them, suggesting an overall sophistication in
Neanderthal dietary regimes.

Elephants are born tail first, like dolphins and manatees. They may take up to 10 minutes to be born, and must hold their breath during that time. The female elephant has a very long birth canal, which may indicate a change from more upright (biped) to quadruped. (See other notes above)
-
Newborn elephants (like human infants) can swim, but cannot use their trunks as snorkels until much later. The trunk has 40,000 muscles, the human body has a total of about 680 muscles.
(Source: In The Womb by David Sims, as part of a Nat'l Geographic special)

Most likely the last common ancestor of the elephant, manatee and hyrax resembled a small tapir with hooves and short tusks, behaved somewhat like a beaver using incisor teeth tusks to gnaw soft barks (willow, aspen, juniper?) and evolved replaceable molars to munch both wetland herbiage (high in silica) and shrubbery leaves and fruits. Today the hooves & tusks remain in various forms in the descendants.
-

Tooth Microwear and Dietary Patterns In Early Hominids From Laetoli, Hadar and Olduvai
PF Puech/B Puech
http://independent.academia.edu/pfpuech/Papers/

We offer an approach to food habits of early hominids

Microscopic analysis reveals specific patterns of wear facets on dental crowns in early hominids from Laetoli; Hadar and Olduvai. The analysis of dental microwear patterns provides an important adjunct for determining Australopithecus afarensis and Homo habilis feeding behaviors and therefore provides an additional source of information for understanding human evolution.

Man has great leeway in terms of creativity and always seeks what could be better. In inspecting possible new foods he certainly soon discovered that seeds and grains can better be eaten when milled. It is to be noted that the enamel surface of Australopithecus and Homo habilis teeth (1,8 to 3 million years ago) present a micro-wear attributed to amorphous silica present in cyperaeae and graminaeae. The word "grain" is to be considered as the seed or fruit of various food plants like Cyperus esculentus (Cyperaceae) a very variable species from a large group of wild, mainly weedy plants. Some, named chufa (papyrus sedge rhyzome), produces tubers from which are extracted a milk.
-

Likely the sea urchin-eating carnivorous sea otter and the kelp-eating herbivorous stellars sea cow (kin of elephant) complemented each other nichewise along the peripherial Pacific Ocean coldwater coasts from Japan to Beringea to Baja California, the so-called Kelp Highway, later followed by the boat-using ancestors of the Native Americans.

Last edited:
Wet do you perhaps promote any boxers? Because your ability to talk a lot whilst saying very little is astounding.

How can you still be on about the same theories etc (which are painfully cut-and-pasted) yet never actually able or indeed willing to logically debate or put across a point to back your claims in the face of a challenge? I mean I tend to believe that the genuine scientific opinion of people such as Katerina Harvati, and the fact that nobody has proven any evidence of interbreeding between Neanderthals and Humans, to hold far more weight AGAINST your broadly sweeping statement that we all have Neanderthal DNA.
And all the rest of this cut and pasting by you. Do you honestly come here to prove a point, or to "be-heard" with your pseudo-intellectual posts? I find it odd that when it appears that YOU have posted back to any detractors of your "genius" you are unable to actually spell the words to which your pasted posts refer to.
Wet, everybody here is interested in all aspects of the world, but you need to understand that your theories WILL be met with opposition, and, at times, complete proof that some of your theories are indeed completely incorrect. So you need to also stop becoming so defensive in these, and if you do indeed want to honestly discuss things in here, then maybe you could try to convince people, rather than put them down.

Reactions: agbiv
Count the number of times 'snorkeling' appears:

Wet do you perhaps promote any boxers? Because your ability to talk a lot whilst saying very little is astounding.

How can you still be on about the same theories etc (which are painfully cut-and-pasted) yet never actually able or indeed willing to logically debate or put across a point to back your claims in the face of a challenge? I mean I tend to believe that the genuine scientific opinion of people such as Katerina Harvati, and the fact that nobody has proven any evidence of interbreeding between Neanderthals and Humans, to hold far more weight AGAINST your broadly sweeping statement that we all have Neanderthal DNA.
And all the rest of this cut and pasting by you. Do you honestly come here to prove a point, or to "be-heard" with your pseudo-intellectual posts? I find it odd that when it appears that YOU have posted back to any detractors of your "genius" you are unable to actually spell the words to which your pasted posts refer to.
Wet, everybody here is interested in all aspects of the world, but you need to understand that your theories WILL be met with opposition, and, at times, complete proof that some of your theories are indeed completely incorrect. So you need to also stop becoming so defensive in these, and if you do indeed want to honestly discuss things in here, then maybe you could try to convince people, rather than put them down.

Yeah I can't find any either. Just another rant.

It may be facinerous to point this out wet, but posts like that merely further the opinion that you are nothing more than an enraged pseudo-intellectual. I shall leave you to your cliched eternal bliss and pray that one day you wake up and achieve your ambitions of mediocrity.
Posted via Mobile Device

It may be facinerous to point this out wet, but posts like that merely further the opinion that you are nothing more than an enraged pseudo-intellectual. I shall leave you to your cliched eternal bliss and pray that one day you wake up and achieve your ambitions of mediocrity.
Posted via Mobile Device

idem...:):t:):t

It allows users to search for information about films, TV series, actors, directors, and other production personnel. Users can access a wealth of details, such as plot summaries, cast and crew lists, release dates, trivia, and user-generated ratings and reviews. I

Infant elephants are unable to use their trunks functionally, they don't seem to know what the trunk is for...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT