• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Thin Floatline?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Griff

Certified SCUBA Rider
May 7, 2002
Hi guys

has anyone ever tried using thin floatline? the reason being is that i have found a supplier of dyneem lite, 2mm for R1 p m, which is about how much you pay for the standard RA float line.
i can imagine the advantages of less drag, but there's the problem of it being more fiddly and prone to tangles, but then dyneema is prettty stiff...

if its a big mistake, then please let me know before i go and buy the stuff

thanks
mark

Hiya griff

I have spectra dyneema on my Omer Pelagic reel. Very strong and extremely abrasion resistant, as you know!!! Only problem i have with it is that i battles to pull a fish with it. Seems to slip through your hands. I've now taken to wrapping it around my hand and then pulling.(only on fish less than 10kg's!!!)

Hope this helps!!!

miles

thanks miles, whats it like with tangles. also, how much did you pay for yours. its the yellow cord isnt it?

Yes, its the yellow cord. I can't remember how much i paid for it, but definitely more than R1.00 a meter. Well at that price you really can't complain!!!!! :D :D :D 2mm mono fishing line is more expensive than that!! Haven't had any tangles with it yet, so can't really comment. I've had a big 'tail take quite a bit of line, but with the current running, the line was being pulled by the current, so it couldn't tangle.

Regards
miles

i'm thinking about it because drag can be a real...drag
maybe because its speactra dyneema its more pricey. the stuff i'm interested in is called dyneema lite. its red with yellow bits, from a yachting supply shop

The yellow spectra dyneema floats. White dyneema on my C4 sinks. A bit thicker than the yellow spectra dyneema, but much more rigid. Easier to grip and would be far less prone to tangling.

Regards
miles

Thin Floaline A Mistake

Griff:

I have experimented with various types of floatlines and think that going too thin is a mistake. In my view, the most important three attributes of floatlines are firstly, that they don't get in your way and annoy you when diving, secondly, that they enable you to fight decent sized fish once speared. Thirdly, cost. So ideally, they should float and be relatively stiff to avoid tangles. Secondly, they should allow you to be able to grib them when your big fish moment arrives and its time to bring a big one to the surface. Having to wrap line around your hand to get a good grib is a major mistake, because it means you can easily be pulled under, it can slip off your palms and can snag on fingers etc.

Most polyethylene ropes, available at martine stores, of a reasonable diameter are what you need, they are stiff, they float, they are hard to tangle, they are rot proof, and you can grib and manage them. And as you have indicated they are reasonably priced.

It's a personal choice, but I have found the best floatline to use for me, is that flat, blue and white rope that you get in South Africa, sometimes its even used on clothes washing lines. Will post a picture if I can.

All the best ...

Reactions: Snorkel Bum
hi russel, thanks for your input.

i agree with the points you made about the requirements of a floatline.
strength. i'm pretty sure that the dyneema should be strong enough, or at least stronger than the shooting line. i'll try to do a tensile test to check this.

cost. at the same price of regular floatline, this isnt really an issue (althogh the dyneema i have seen is usually five times the price)

they shouldnt annoy you. this is where i'm concerned about using a thinner line. tangles are my biggest worry. dyneema is pretty stiff and hopefully less prone to tangles than say as nylon line. also, in my opinion, the line has to float, so if the dyneema sinks, its out of the question. as for fighting the fish, with the popularity of reels, and with most of the guys using them fighting the fish with their hands and the line, not the reel, i figured that this was an acceptable method.

as for the advantages, a thinner line would have a lot less drag, which would make my diving a lot more comfortable.

if tangles are an issue, i may look into making a floater line.

cheers
mark

hiya Griff,

I am using relatively thin float lines, which is tend to tangle bit. But its storg as hell, it float, almost no drag,one line winder easily holds up to 35 meter, 30 meter cost me less than 10 dollar. I don't know what type is it but if you like i can post some picture.

Hi Griff,

You mentioned drag.......what float are you using? I think this would cause more drag than the float line. I have just bought a new RA float from Dive Factory, one of the yellow ones with a pocket. I really battled to get through the surf at Salties when I went out to SA a couple of weeks ago and I think the new fatter float +pocket had something to do with it. I previously had an old orange type that was thinner and a bit more hydrodynamic.

Cheers

Justin

Mlungu

Where do you go spearing? I temporarily live in Swansea as well (overseas student). What places do you recommend? Im heading out sometime next weekend to Rossili PM me if you want to organise something.

Baur

Hi Baur,

I'ved PM'd you about the above. Let us know what you think

Justin

murat, thanks for the info. what diam is your line?

mlungu, the most obvious drag with the line is when youre comming up from the bottom, and there's this big arc of line that you have to pull up with you. as for the float, i went from one of those hard orange floats to an old style RA foam filled, and havent really noticed any difference. it sounds like your float has one of those breakaway pockets, which look like they may drag quite a bit.
thanks for the feedback.
cheers
mark

I must admit once I took the float pocket off there was a bit less drag!!!!

Justin

For the same diameter, rope will drag much more than a vinyl tube. On long float lines the surface texture could have more impact than the diameter.

I a 60' 6mm rope float line feels heavy. A 6mm vinyl is a glamour and tangle free, but 50' or 75' bungee (around 8mm) feels more or less the same!

You cold try to feed a 200 pound nylon on a 4mm vinyl tube: sleek and tangle free.

But better if you change your float by a board and keep your stuff out he water.

Last edited:
thanks for the pics murat. it looks like the line diam is about 3mm?

good news and bad news for me. good news is that the line floats, bad news is that the price has gone up by 80c/m. still affordable, but now its more than RA floatline.
going to do a tensile test on it now.

pablo, i didnt know you got 4mm pvc. sounds like a plan!

cheers
mark

Have a look on a pneumatic place (one of those shops that sale air fittings, pipe, valves, actuators and this kind of think) they have all sorts of diam on dif materials and colors. One of them is a 4mm thin transparent vinyl.
Plenty of airtight fittings and connectors you could try to adapt.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT