• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Things are looking up

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Bill McIntyre

San Clemente, CA
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Jan 27, 2005
Its been a slow start for me this year. On January 20 my wife got bucked off a new horse and suffered a bad open fracture of her ankle, so I've been doing a lot of care-giving, driving her to physical therapy.etc.

Yesterday she let me go diving for the third time this year, and at least it paid off. The water was clear with a tolerable temperature of 62° F, there was a lot of bait, and we got some white sea bass. Mine weighed 40 pounds, and my buddy's weighed 53 pounds.

Attachments

• IMG_1758.jpg
    IMG_1758.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 172
  • dave53.jpg
    dave53.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 167
  • dave53-2.jpg
    dave53-2.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Reactions: foxfish
Awesome fish, Bill. What were the conditions? Does it look like the season will continue for a while?

I hope your wife gets better soon. Open fracture, ouch!

Batty, the season should be just starting, but I'm afraid it will end early. All the kelp beds are thinned out due to the warm water this winter. The place we dove yesterday is usually a thick mat on the surface, but we wouldn't have been able to find it without a GPS and then a depth sounder to mark the kelp under the surface.

Tomorrow is my wife's 8-week appointment with the doctor and she'll find out if she is permitted to put any weight on that foot for the first time. I sure hope so.

Attachments

• ionside.jpg
    ionside.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 156
  • outside.JPG
    outside.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_1355.JPG
    IMG_1355.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 157
Ouch :( That looks very painful and unpleasant. I hope the doctor's appointment has some good news. Best of wishes for her quick and full recovery. What happened to her old horse? An Appy, as I recall?

How much meat does a 40-pound fish tend to yield? Somewhat unrelated, but have you find the Marine Protected Areas to be problematic?

She still has the old Appaloosa, but at 22 it is slowing down, and she isn't willing to slow down with it. She still wants to run good times in her gymkhana events, so she was looking to buy a young horse. She rode it several times at the seller's ranch, and then conservatively in a competition, and it did fine. But then about three weeks after bringing it home to her stable, it started getting antsy. A lot of "experts" have said that it can be hard for a young horse that has been raised out in an open paddock in the country to adjust to all the horses, people, noise, lights, etc. at a busy stable. Anyway, she mounted up, and just as her butt touched the saddle it did a full rodeo buck and launched her into the air. She lost a lot of blood through that open wound before the paramedic arrived.

Luckily, it came with a money-back guarantee, so it went back to the ranch.

She has a girl leasing the old horse now, and that girl treats it very well and isn't quite ready for competition anyway. When she is ready to ride again, she's going to look for a more mature horse, maybe around 10 years old, that has a lot of barrels experience.

I really don't know how much meat a fish yields out of total weight. In this case, I gave it to a friend to clean, and he kept half and gave me half. I just vacuum packed it, and its going to last quite a while.

The MPAs haven't been a problem for me in the areas I dive since the Department of Defense told them they couldn't put one off Camp Pendleton Marine Corp Base, which occupies about 20 miles of coast line. But shore divers have taken a big hit by loosing the entire coastline of Laguna Beach, and there are serious impacts in the Palos Verdes and San Diego areas. I'm just fortunate that I almost never travel that far anymore.

Last edited:
Bill:

Nice slobs--I'm envious! As an old jouster and Civil War cavalry reenactor I've had my tangles with the beloved beasts! Did you know that during the "Indidan" wars USA would only conssider mounts that were aged over 12 years old? Still had stamina and strength but mellowed.

That's interesting about the Cavalry only considering mounts over 12. I just passed that along to my wife, and she thinks its a good idea.

BTW, she saw the surgeon yesterday, and he cleared her to put about half body weight on that foot for the next two weeks, and then full body weight after that. This is a big step. When I take her to PT today, she'll be able to go in on crutches and I won't have to wrestle a wheel chair in and out of the car trunk.

He cleared her to drive when she feels comfortable with it. She isn't comfortable since she is afraid of having to jam on the brakes, but I hope that comes soon. Then I won't have to drive her to therapy, nail appointments, etc. :)

Reactions: foxfish
That's excellent news! Sounds like things are progressing exactly as they should.

The 12-year-old horse policy makes a lot of sense. My mom bought a 3-year-old some years back and it couldn't have been a worse match. She needed a Steady Eddy and got herself a nervous youngster. It sent her to the hospital on more than one occasion. She finally sold it and got something a bit more her speed.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT