• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

thoughts on sit on top kayaks

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

the Big Mao

Aug 12, 2021
has anyone found a decent SOT for getting to some hard to reach, close-in dive sites that having one of these would make the access easier? I've got my eye on a bunch of places that don't have walking access, in calm water, but are quite a distance from where I'd park the rig; some have marina traffic I'd have to dodge as well, which is why I don't want to take the swim float. I'd also like to get one that I can put a small crab pot on. Any suggestions? I've been looking at a Perception Pescador pro12, but can't seem to find any in Washington (state)!

I'm a fan of my Stealth Fishing ski. This is a South African brand and they are very difficult to find in the USA unfortunately.
Why I love it:
Stable, easy to get in and out when diving and a large internal fish hatch. I can fit all my spearfishing gear in the hatch so there's no risk of losing anything strapped to the top when launching through the surf. It can swallow a 51" speargun(total Length including spear) but anything longer will struggle due to the angle and the hatch opening.

Although I haven't personally used the Pescador Pro I know of it.
If you are paddling in calm coastal waters then the Pescador or Pescador Pro should be fine for you.

If you are planning to paddle out through the surf, do long distances or want something with a center hatch then I'd recommend that you consider the Ocean Kayak Trident 13 or 15.

Here are a couple of photo's of my Stealth on a recent Spearfishing trip;

Spearfishing Kayak Trip (1).jpg

Fins, floats, spearguns, anchor and other accessories all fit inside the hatch.

Spearfishing Kayak Trip.jpg

Pulled the kayak for more than a mile on the beach with my Homemade kayak trolley. It's a Fiberglass and not plastic fishing kayak and can handle rough surf launches.

That's a VERY nice setup! Our problem here is availability of SOT boats that don't have all that useless junk for fishing-multiple rod holders, place for a fish finder sonar, tackle box and assorted stuff we'll never use-and only gets in the way. At this point, we'll probably get a pair of Crescent boats. While they will allow you to "configure" the boats with multiple rod holders, yadayadayada, they don't come that way, and that's a plus!

I finally wore out my hand me down Ocean kayak Scupper Pro, so now I have an Ocean kayak Prowler. it seems to do the job just fine.

has anyone found a decent SOT for getting to some hard to reach, close-in dive sites that having one of these would make the access easier? I've got my eye on a bunch of places that don't have walking access, in calm water, but are quite a distance from where I'd park the rig; some have marina traffic I'd have to dodge as well, which is why I don't want to take the swim float. I'd also like to get one that I can put a small crab pot on. Any suggestions? I've been looking at a Perception Pescador pro12, but can't seem to find any in Washington (state)!
I have a bunch of kayaks I use for fishing, diving, and recreation. Mostly diving. The main kayak I've been using is my Hobie Revolution 13. It's a foot peddle kayak and much more efficient than paddling. It also cuts through higher wind very easily and easily hauls all of my gear, including my fish cooler filled with ice. With this kayak, you can range far with less effort. It's used almost every weekend for diving with me and my friends. How far are you planning on kayaking?

The Hobie has it's disadvantages as it's heavier and expensive and it's better if you can launch from someplace easier, like a ramp, beach, or smooth rock beach. Otherwise, I'll turn to my Scupper Pro or Zest Two. IF you're interested in Hobie's, I'd check out the Outback or Compass model. They're wider and would help with space and stability.

Those Stealth kayaks are real nice too and I'd pick one up if I didn't have my Scupper Pro.

Regardless of the kayak you get, make sure you have good safety gear and remain visible (mostly to other boaters). I carry a VHF radio and personal locator beacon, along with a first aid kit.

I have a bunch of kayaks I use for fishing, diving, and recreation. Mostly diving. The main kayak I've been using is my Hobie Revolution 13. It's a foot peddle kayak and much more efficient than paddling. It also cuts through higher wind very easily and easily hauls all of my gear, including my fish cooler filled with ice. With this kayak, you can range far with less effort. It's used almost every weekend for diving with me and my friends. How far are you planning on kayaking?

The Hobie has it's disadvantages as it's heavier and expensive and it's better if you can launch from someplace easier, like a ramp, beach, or smooth rock beach. Otherwise, I'll turn to my Scupper Pro or Zest Two. IF you're interested in Hobie's, I'd check out the Outback or Compass model. They're wider and would help with space and stability.

Those Stealth kayaks are real nice too and I'd pick one up if I didn't have my Scupper Pro.

Regardless of the kayak you get, make sure you have good safety gear and remain visible (mostly to other boaters). I carry a VHF radio and personal locator beacon, along with a first aid kit.
No worries there: we've been expedition paddlers for decades, out of Current Designs Solstice GT's all along the waters of California, Vancouver Island in BC and Washington, but they're not designed to dive off of-easy if you flip one though. I can roll my 17 footer without too much effort if it's loaded, but we've been looking at those Eddyline Caribbean 14's that'll be able to haul decent dry bag loads as well as dive from. Hobies are nice boats, but like you say, you need to be careful with the launch. Vancouver Island's Broken Group, in the protected inlets, has the biggest oysters I've ever seen. Depending on the time of year, Oysters Rockefeller and champagne just screams at me (we're pretty decadent kayakers;-))

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT