• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Time for me to get into spearfishing. Help!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

narked

Jul 10, 2002
Right, not tried spearfishing yet, but definately want to. So a couple of questions for you gurus in here:

1) Don't wan't to spend a fortune on a gun. Not really after long range, will be being used in British waters, not great viz, and won't be using it all that much. Just after a basic one that will work. Anyone got any suggestions?

2) Anyone know anything about spearfishing round the UK? Such as sort of fish to be found, and protected species, anywhere where spearfishing is prohibited?

Ta,
Matt

hey narked, i cant say much about spots in britain, but i can give you some gun suggestions...if youre looking for something small and basic i would reccomend AB Biller ( www.abbiller.com ) spearguns... the smallest is the 24 special, i have the 36 special and when modded to hold two 5/8" bands it is REALLY powerful but still really small. good range and accuracy too, and its a really pretty gun. JBL makes some decent (but loud and heavy) small guns. everyone here raves about Rob Allen (Abri and SASpearo, hehe:D ) and ive heard many good things about OMER so you might want to try that. keep in mind that for low vis, a pole spear with a slip tip works wonders and has its benefits over a gun! good luck and happy hunting!

Hey Narked,

From what I knw from the members of our national team, spearfishing in the UK doesn't difer much from our spearfishing.
This means that your selection of a gun is quite simple. Since you're starting the sport now you can use any of the standard models provided by the major Euro guns producers. (O.ME.R, Beuchat, Sporasub or Imersion). You need two guns that would suit all your needs:
1. 90 or 100 cm gun - very versatile gun you can use for pelagics in better visibility. You can get a reel once you start chasing those big suckers. Have in mind that the 16mm bands coming with all those guns would be too light for the 6 or 6.5 mm spear. So you'd need a pair of 18 or even 20mm bands.

2. 75cm gun - this one you'd use when vis is poor or for hunting in holes. Usually the O.ME.R bands coming with this gun are strong enough. Dunno about the other producers.

My suggestion is to get the standard models first. You'd need at least one or two seasons to master the techniques. After that you can get a better gun. After all, you might not even like spearfishing at the end (but I doubt that!). Make your selection based on the price and... how comfortable is the handle for you.
Other than that, the standard models are pretty much the same. But don't buy the cheapest stuff - it might not last by the end of the season... :D

In regards to the information, this was the best resource for information about Britain, but the site is under reconstruction now. :(
British Spearfishing Association

Try this one and ask for help:
Dive London International Club

Hope this helps,

Ivan

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT