• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Time to Buy Everything..please Help!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Sask

Jun 11, 2002
hello everyone. i am back on the board after many months. i am a newbie. i was doing alot of research, reading everyones posts, etc. now i am ready to buy all my stuff, but i still have a couple of questions.

1. I am buying a RobAllen 120cm for my main gun. I would like a smaller gun (30-75 cm) as a backup gun for smaller fish/fish in rocks and tight places, a gun that i can strap to my thigh. I am 6'5" with long legs. From the Scubastore Shop on this site, which would you recommend? (Seac-Sub,Practisub,Mares, Sporasub)

2. I have a large head with a round face and a big nose, wide at the bridge (bone part). which mask would fit my face the best?
Cressi minima, Picasso or Sporasub??

3. Fins, seem to be my biggest dilema. i have a narrow foot, size 14 US. I will be wearing 3mm booties. Is the open heel or closed footpocket the way to go? I am leaning heavely towards the Sporasub H.Dessault's (open heel or closed??), but also looking at Picasso Start and Black Team. (in past articles spearos cautioned against picasso do to integrity of the fins, blades cracking and footpockets coming apart)

i still have a month before i get my suit done (custom suit) from M&B in Long Beach California. So any help you guys can give me within the next few weeks will be greatly appreciated. Then i can be a contributor to the borad rather then a "lurker" with a bunch of questions.
Thanks everyone.
Sask

Hey Sask...

First off, lose the idea of packing a gun on the thigh, before you lose the gun. (it looked stooopid on James Bond too.) :duh

Mask wise, get yurass to a shop and start trying them on. You can go from hell to breakfast with asking how masks fit, but until you try one on, you're playing with yourself.

As a fellow member with large and long extremities ;) , you're screwed for fins. A pair of Esclapaz open heels and 3 or 5 mil boots is about the only thing that's gonna work for you, freedive fin-wise. But don't sweat it, they work for me and don't make me look fat. Most of the time. :cool:

sven

Sask,

I agree with Sven when it comes to picking out a mask. I own Cressi, Sporasub, and TUSA masks. My nose is not large, but it is closer to my upper lip than most people (funny how the (before) unseen peculiarities about your body are always brought into focus whenever you try on new dive equipment :)). My "weird" nose placement causes me no end of grief when I look for a mask. I usually wind up with Cressi mask since they have a very large nose pocket. I don't need the mass.....just the distance. The minima fits me better than any other mask. I can get other masks to fit o.k. with some jimmying around, but the minima is always fits perfect every time I throw it on.

So, by all means, try on masks before you buy. But having said that, with your big sniffer, make sure that Cressi masks are at least on your "try" list.

Good luck with the fins. With feet that size, maybe you don't need any :D.

Ted

Last edited:
More Input Please

i am checking out a couple of places that carry masks, fins, etc. (there aren't many, and the selection seems to be slim) unless anyone in Socal has some suggestions. i have even spoken with julie Riffe, she suggested that i come by and try on some fins and take a gander at their guns. For a while i was torn between the Riffe guns and Rob Allens. the price and comments from many board members have steered me towards the Rob Allen (i'll get a riffe later).
I must point out that i will be mainly targeting Halibut. Yellowtail and White sea bass are definately on my to do list, but "Butts" are first. With that in mind.. what type of shaft and head should i be looking at (shooting halibuts that are lying on the bottom, rocks, etc)??

Thank you in advance everyone that takes the time to read and answer my post.

Sask

For bottom dwelling fish try a pranger. Its 6 x 6" prongs arranged in a circle.

We use them here in Australia for flathead (small halibut I guess..) and other cave dwelling fish.

1. Get the yellow pages out from under the VCR and look up diving and SCUBA... there's a buttload of shops there in So Cal.... you want to do a roadie, head up to Santa Barbara and see Andy at Blue Water Hunter.

2. Dakine butt gun is a Metal Tech #0. Period. You can put a 3/8 shaft on the thing, 2 5/8" bands a flat five prong or a JBL throwaway detachable and a floatline on it and put the grief of wondering if your trigger is gonna hold towards learning how to dive smoother.

And tell Julie that Eric and I said hi. She'll know.

sven

You guys are so lucky coz you can see, touch those beautifull Rifes and even chat with Julie.:waterwork

Hi Sask ,
Congratulations on your excellent choice of speargun . As you mentioned , there are numerous very satisfied RA users here . :cool:
I am not familiar with the fish you target but guess that you will be looking at something like a 110 cm. with single 20 mm. band ?

Hey ; Sven , no poaching ...:D
Oh BTW , tell Rob Allen I said hi ...;)

No worries, I don't even poach my eggs... waitaminute... :hmm

110 cm of anything is going to be a bit long for you there in SoCal especially working the nearshore areas like the jettys and off the breakwater where those flatties like to hang. Something around 70 would be better unless you like to hold the gun out in front on the way down to help find the bottom.

And think thick shaft diameter, as you piss off one of these, you're going to get a real quick lessen in metalurgy. Good luck.

sven

Hmm ; judging from the length and spear diameter that Sven recommends , I am not sure a RA is the best option . Maybe take a look at that #0 ...:(

Reactions: icarus pacific
hi

MMMM My heart missed a few beats there Abri were you supporting the use Of that pesky riffe #0. Railguns all the way

cheers

Well, none of us forget the result of IYA's MT0 testresults and those nice fishes he catch, right?

BTW i get incredible offer from TOTEMsub.
120 cm Tahiti with 7mm shaft two 16 or 17.5 mm bands.Hand made speargun.Marine epoxy finish.Full length rail/track (open track).Best trigger mech in euros.Speargun is one piece no joint no plactic.I talked with some users they are swearing that they can hit 8cm target from more than 6 meter with this gun.:confused: More interesting thin is they are using double 16 or even 17.5mm powerbands with 6.5mm shaft.:confused: It has shock absorber bungie.Demka shaft.Dynema line for wishbones.
ITS ONLY 230 euro........ ! ! ! ! Of course shipping price is not included.I am trying to find ways to get it without or with little shipping fee.I can't remmeber now but i read somewhere in the net that says these guns are teak versions of RAs.

More Info...Narrowinng it down

i hit up a couple of dive shops, got everyones opinion, blah blah blah.... i tried on some overpriced gear (compared to the prices here) and i discovered this...

1. i can wear a 3 mm bootie and still fit into closed heel 46-48 or 12-13 size fins...as long as there is an opening for my toes to stick out...lol!!( i have very narrow feet with long toes)

2. i found that alot of the masks were uncomfortable and too small for my face. this is due to the fact that i have a big nose with a wide bridge. i feel stupid for asking in my previous psot for mask reccommendations....obviously that is an impossible request without trying them on.

3. a dive instructor by the the name of Tim Holmes does not use a spear gun for halibut... he uses a very large and long knife! for real guys, i saw the picture of a 30lb++ halibut that was killed by hand and knife.

thanks for all the replies.... what i am targeting (fish) are halibuts, sheephead, bass (calico and sand).... that is in close, near shore and breakwalls, jetty's etc. when i become more skilled at spearfishing/holding my breath i will work my way out into open water looking for white sea bass and yellowtail (also when i find someone with a boat..lol) at that time i will look to buy a bigger gun, a Riffe.

Based on the species listed, a 110cm or 90cm or smaller would be the best?? thanks again everyone. i look forward to your replies/advice.

best wished this holiday season
Sask

Re: More Info...Narrowinng it down

Originally posted by Sask
Based on the species listed, a 110cm or 90cm or smaller would be the best?? thanks again everyone. i look forward to your replies/advice. Sask

Well figure if the guy can reach out and clock one with a knife then you don't need five feet of gun, right? Most of the halibut I've popped, the shaft never left the muzzle!

For the time you have and the fish you're looking to eventually go after you may wanna start out with a JBL Custom or a .38 Northwest Special- not real ong, but real solid and easy to work on/with. And the prices are right- the Custom goes for a buck retail and the .38 a few more, but they're damn good tools to learn with and keep for when the larder needs stocking and the water's garbage. You can mail order them and save some ducats too.

Mask-wise, check out the AQA masks by Kinagawa and sold by HanaPa'a. They're made for divers with Asian features and their construction and number of styles make them an appealing option. I've got a hard mug to keep leakproof and their Mantis mask does the trick, and the Merman model is a dead knockoff of the Dacor teardrop of my early fame. Definite smoothness points.
Consider yourself informed.

sven

More Info...Narrowinng it down

i hit up a couple of dive shops, got everyones opinion, blah blah blah.... i tried on some overpriced gear (compared to the prices here) and i discovered this...

1. i can wear a 3 mm bootie and still fit into closed heel 46-48 or 12-13 size fins...as long as there is an opening for my toes to stick out...lol!!( i have very narrow feet with long toes)

2. i found that alot of the masks were uncomfortable and too small for my face. this is due to the fact that i have a big nose with a wide bridge. i feel stupid for asking in my previous psot for mask reccommendations....obviously that is an impossible request without trying them on.

3. a dive instructor by the the name of Tim Holmes does not use a spear gun for halibut... he uses a very large and long knife! for real guys, i saw the picture of a 30lb++ halibut that was killed by hand and knife.

thanks for all the replies.... what i am targeting (fish) are halibuts, sheephead, bass (calico and sand).... that is in close, near shore and breakwalls, jetty's etc. when i become more skilled at spearfishing/holding my breath i will work my way out into open water looking for white sea bass and yellowtail (also when i find someone with a boat..lol) at that time i will look to buy a bigger gun, a Riffe.

Based on the species listed, a 110cm or 90cm or smaller would be the best?? thanks again everyone. i look forward to your replies/advice.

best wished this holiday season
Sask

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT