• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Time to upgrade the mask and fins

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

rford150

May 18, 2010
I've been using my U.S. Divers combo for sometime now and feel that as I my frequency of diving increases, so does my notice of how bad my gear is. I was checking out the Omer Bandit and Alien masks. As for the fins, Cressi Gara 3000 fins. I dive/spear the Gulf of Mexico about 3 times a year out of Texas or Belize (Carribean). Any opinions or recommendations?

search gara 3000 ld. Very good starter fin.

Mask depends on depth. Shallower than about 50, range if vision is more important than volume, deeper, get a very low volume mask. Either should fit well and have a dark skirt.

Thanks for the info. I also noticed a low-vol mask on makospearguns.com. Not sure about the manufacturer but the price is right. Any opinion?
Posted via Mobile Device

If u want a really good mask with really low volume and best vision i've ever tried is the tecnisub micromask! I do pure apnea and spearfishing with it i really suggest you the mask. For fins i've buyed a pair of cressi gara professions, i really do not suggest ya that fins are really hard and do not have a good reaction, also they drift a lot i've putted 10 cm of c4 border flap at the end of the fin for do not let them drift. In my opinion one of best fins not carbon once are the omer stingray, reallly reactive but soft at the same time and really good confort.

Rddk,

I'm checking out the micromask now and it does look good. I've been searching around and it is difficult to find a US store that offers it. I will keep searching. As for the stingray fins, I'll take your advice. Most stores are sold out which could mean they are in high demand. I appreciate your input. I'll be hunting the Gulf of Mexico twice next month, contingent on American college football season, so there will be little chance to smoke test the new gear.

If am not wrong this forum has an online shop, if u want a suggestin if u have a friend that has the micromask ask him if u can try it for see how does it fit and if u like it buy it online, the mask is not cheap is near 40euros think near 45 $ because it has a special construction licence but i think that it deserve evvery cent of his price. Same this for the fins if u can't find in stores try to buy em online, ofc try to check out if they fit good for you.

Oh i forgot to tell you that in case one day u'll decide to have carbon fins the stingray has a carbon version too, in ur case u'll have just to buy the blade and u have carbon fins, i still have to test the carbon version but the "plastic" one was fantastic!

I don't have many friends who are into spearfishing/diving. I'm kind of the black sheep of the group. I have one friend in another state who is going with me. I have a few friends with fishing boats who said they would take me fishing and drop us off at a few rigs. In short, I need more spearo friends.

I found both on Leisure Pro.com and I will buy them. I found the micromask for $70US. Do you know of a site that has them less expensive?

Thank you for the leads. Unfortunately that are both overseas and, like you said, may cost more for shipping. I'm checking in with some shops nearby to see if they can compete with my online store. Thank you again for the recommendations.

Get the Micro Mask, Leisure Pro.com. I think its like 69.00USD. I have one and love it!
HB

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT