• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Tinnitus after Static

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

SpearoPimp

Jun 9, 2004
i have a bit of tinnitus from years of drumming but i sometimes it seems a little amplified after i come out of a long static (where i pushed it). could long breatholds actually cause nerve damage (the cause of tinnitus) or make it worse.

Now I am curious as to know why this would happen. (partly because I have TMJ and later on I might develope tinnitus too if I am not careful)
I've been looking on the internet for a while and I honestly don't think so.
But I did find out that there are other causes for tinnitus other than nerve damage, maybe you should look into them since it could amplify your problem.

I too get a little tinnitus after a long static. Currently I only do dry statics, as I've only recently taken an interest in freediving and I don't yet have a buddy or a club to go to. But I have been pushing my limits, and my PB (lying on my bed and listening to music) is now 6:30. I end the breathold when I start to lose peripheral vision: this allows me to sit up, talk etc straight away without impairment.

After every long breathhold I get a high pitched whine in both ears that is intense at first, and gradually fades to almost nothing after about an hour.

Similarly, I'd be very interested to hear of possible physiological explanations for this!

Pete

Hi Pete

Congratulations to a very good dry static time. But... there is a physiological explanation to your tinitus after a long static: hypoxia of the inner ear. When you describe fading vision in the end of such a static attempt you seem to undergo a state of hypoxia causing problems to the tissues of the inner ear. My advise: do not push you static that far.

Take care
Pat

Pat, I certainly don't want to kill off my inner ear! Perhaps I had better concentrate more on relaxation techniques to make the most of my lungfull and less on pushing the O2 levels to absolute extremes :duh

Pete

Hi Pat,

"Hypoxia of the inner ear?" Hmm...is the inner ear a muscle? Does it have oxygen supply? I wouldn't have thought so.

I had always supposed that tinnitus comes from something much more simple: an increase in blood pressure at the end of the static as your body tries to maintain adequate oxygen supply to the brain. BP is known to rise quite high at the end of static apnea (indeed, for people who start a static with high pb find it very difficult to push it). An engorgement of tissues around the middle ear might account for the tinitus.

What I find interesting is that I use the ringing in my ears as a signal to come up near the end of my static.

Yogis have another idea about tinnitus, but I'll let efattah explain that... :)

Pete

Sounds much better Pete - much better. Freediving is all about beeing down there comfortly as long and as relaxed as you can. Good luck and good health!

Pat

Thanks for mentioning that Laminar. Changement in blood pressure might be the second explanation for tinnitus after long statics. And it might even be more prominent as a cause. Tinnitus is by the way only a symptom. As far as I know the reasons for tinnitus can be numerous. In the case of a long static either blood pressure might cause a disturbance to the fluid pressure in the inner ear chamber (circulatory disturbances of the inner ear tissue) or hypoxia might affect the nutrition of the nerve cells in the inner ear. It is not muscles in that case but nerves beeing affected, although also spasms of muscles surrounding the structures of the middle/inner ear could probably cause tinnitus. But let Eric explane that, you 're so right...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT